Archived "Target Tiptoes Into Grocery Delivery"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Executive Delivery Guy?

Been there, done that.

Starts next week...

Hopefully this stays quiet for a few weeks so we have time to get used to the packing process and work out any issues that we come across.

Target really does love allowing guests to have their way and be lazy!
Who knew the movie Wall-E was so accurate with its depiction of the future...
2700.jpg

*Knock knock kn-knock knock....
Do ya wanna get a red caaaaaaaaaaaaaaard?
Saving 5% each daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay?
Don't really wanna whine; my job is on the line.
It's the only waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!
I used to give great service once but now that's gone;
What are ya gonna dooooooooooooooooooo?
Do ya wanna get a red card?
Debit toooooooooooooooo.

Guest: Go away, spot!

Debit toooooooooooooooo.

Sometimes I just want to drop the "super happy" guy act and say "look lady/man you are here almost everyday just sign up for the fucking Redcard already!!!!!"

It may seem weird and unprofitable, but like the article suggests, there is no doubt that this is the way of the future.

By jumping in now, Target will have the advantage of experience and a dedicated customer base by the time Walmart and major grocery distributors such as SuperValu decide to start doing this.

Probably won't work out everywhere. Couple of the grocery chains in my area ditched delivery for pickups (stop and shop, acme, shop rite). I see a place for delivery but I think it makes more sense for an Instacart type to do grocery deliveries for multiple stores vs stores adding delivery to their list.

I used to get groceries delivered because when I was in school I lived in a food dessert (and I didn't/don't drive) and I couldn't fathom putting all the groceries I'd want onto a bus and a subway. Surely things would melt and it would be difficult in general. Then a grocery store opened closer to me and they had a shuttle give rides if you spent $50 or more. That was cool. I could walk to the store, but it was a long way to walk with bags in hand.

So yea this would be lazy for suburban people with cars... Unless they're like uber busy, but could be a great idea for people in food deserts, especially when those areas are usually more friendly to public transport over driving.

Delivery worked well when you spent 12hrs in the ER with a husband, with broken bones and waiting for surgery. You haven't slept in over 24hrs and the fridge is empty.

You call it lazy, I call it a godsend. Though ordering when so tired some choices were a bit strange. But it as nice to wake up and there be those boxes on the porch.

Debit toooooooooooooooo.

I just snorted yogurt up my nose...

Wal-Mart had a job fair in my area, 3 months or so ago , hiring drivers to make home deliveries . No CDL required, as they are using small trucks, etc, $18 .
Hmmm, after my motor vehicle record drops a couple issues, I may just go and apply at WALLY WOLRD !

Last edited:
One other thing, not all "Guests" are lazy, some are in wheelchairs, many are elderly . Not to mention the over stressed mom, with 3 screaming kids who doesnt want to try and get by One Spot, on her safari to get milk and diapers.
Would you want to ask her "Can I Help You Find Something "??? Would you like to save 5%, with a Red Card etc....
Myself, I'm not that brave, being married with children, I've learned when to avoid the confrontation all together.

Last edited:
On one hand, it's nice to see Target is still willing to try and venture into new territory to try and seize new market shares. On another hand, is this going to be another failed experiment where they expect gobs of money with as little effort, organization, and capital investment like other 'projects'?

It wouldn't be bad if Target would fully invest in what they're rolling out instead of half-assing it to see if it's worth it.
That means doing the background to see what a program will entail in terms of tech support, equipment, hrs allotted, etc.
So many of the current struggles are because corp skimps on labor & tech support or they didn't think the concept thru completely.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back