Archived Target trying to compete with Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Target really wants to compete with Amazon with ship from store, they need to do a better job when it comes to picking and packing merchandise. I had several online returns these past couple days where the merch was damaged because it wasn't properly packed, items were defective or stained, or they received the wrong item. Quality control needs to be a must.

Yeah, absolutely nothing about any mistakes comes back down on the TM that picked it or packed it. TMs make mistakes all the time and there is no way at all to know.

Every day I have to go through and manually key out 5-10 orders that have been stuck for a day or two. Where are the collates? Did they actually get packed? Who knows. All I know is I have a TL and an ETL pressuring me for green metrics, and quality/accuracy ain't one of them.

For the record, I personally make sure I pack things accurately and with care, but I don't have time to investigate when other TMs are doing it.

Lets not kid ourselves, Target isnt serious about competing with Amazon. That is corporate speak.
Eh, yes and no. they obviously know they aren't going to become a serious competitor to the point where we overtake amazon, or even close to it. They do hope to cut into the market share a bit though, which they've been pretty successful at.

Eh, yes and no. they obviously know they aren't going to become a serious competitor to the point where we overtake amazon, or even close to it. They do hope to cut into the market share a bit though, which they've been pretty successful at.

Not really our sister store is a ESFS store and they are always asking for help since they never have invested in getting people who know what the fuck they are doing, and making sure that their actual inventory is right and located. So they waste so much fucking time searching for shit. Then waste so much more time having idiots pack orders that are messed up, cause we get a lot of returns and man you can tell when stores are stressed. No padding of any kind for glassware or anything else and its a shattered mess in the box.

I dont buy it. I believe our online orders are simply recouping some of the business that has left the stores

I dont know many people who shop online at Target over Amazon. I feel its Target loyalist who use SFS because they can use their red card for savings and take advantage of free shipping (especially those who choose not to use Prime). Neither our selection or prices are going to blow anyone away.

this is not new,,, I ordered something online about 5 years ago and was sent the wrong clothing item.. I called Target and they said they would handle the mistake and for me to keep my mis sent item

I thought SFS was corporate's way of keeping those guests who vowed never to step foot in a Target again once we gave those "horrible" transgender people permission to use the restrooms.

If the inefficiencies were cleared up, it would still be far inferior to Amazon, with far less reliability and selection.

Not really our sister store is a ESFS store and they are always asking for help since they never have invested in getting people who know what the fuck they are doing, and making sure that their actual inventory is right and located. So they waste so much fucking time searching for shit. Then waste so much more time having idiots pack orders that are messed up, cause we get a lot of returns and man you can tell when stores are stressed. No padding of any kind for glassware or anything else and its a shattered mess in the box.

Seems to be Targets MO honestly. I find the "training" these days laughable

I dont buy it. I believe our online orders are simply recouping some of the business that has left the stores

I dont know many people who shop online at Target over Amazon. I feel its Target loyalist who use SFS because they can use their red card for savings and take advantage of free shipping (especially those who choose not to use Prime). Neither our selection or prices are going to blow anyone away.

I have prime and no way does SFS compete. I see way to many orders cancelled cause the guys can't find something. It is very rare I have had an issue with Amazon not actually sending something I order. Like once I can remember. I use SPU so I can sit and enjoy my lunch and get some of my shopping done.

They've definitely stopped being as diligent about filling orders for the holidays, I assume as a response to being overwhelmed and understaffed. Our SPU TMs used to have to partner with at least one TM in the relevant department and then search with a TL before cancelling an order. Now I'll offer to help them look and they say, "nah, I'll just cancel it." One item I myself ordered right before bed for SPU was cancelled, and I found it the next morning literally one peg below its home location.

I think they should put a tm who have a good knowledge of the floor (as in where stuff are usually) and not people from the backroom to pick on items on the order list. Or as graffiti had said, partner with someone who knew the department when searching for an item.

I think they should put a tm who have a good knowledge of the floor (as in where stuff are usually) and not people from the backroom to pick on items on the order list. Or as graffiti had said, partner with someone who knew the department when searching for an item.
Backroom TMs generally have excellent knowledge of the sales floor at my store.

Backroom TMs generally have excellent knowledge of the sales floor at my store.

Same with mine. I think the issue with SFS is stuff on the floor not being where it should be taking time from people who dont have much time to spare as it is.

Stuff is much more likely to be in the right place in a backroom or warehouse.

Picking stuff off a floor that has been ravaged by guest and their untamed children complicates things.

Last edited:
Same with mine. I think the issue with SFS is stuff on the floor not being where it should be taking time from people who dont have much to spare as it is.

Stuff is much more likely to be in the right place in a backroom or warehouse.

Picking stuff off a floor that has been ravaged by guest and their untamed children complicates things.

Yes, I am curious what Target will eventually do around this. Conceptually it makes sense to have the stores be your fulfillment centers, but it will need to become more and more streamlined.

The thing many people need to realize is that Amazon is just a marketplace, and Target *could* somehow just sell its products on Amazon (fulfilled by Target). They will lose some profits but that is what it will likely take to keep the volume up. I am just dreaming though :)

Yes, I am curious what Target will eventually do around this. Conceptually it makes sense to have the stores be your fulfillment centers, but it will need to become more and more streamlined.

The thing many people need to realize is that Amazon is just a marketplace, and Target *could* somehow just sell its products on Amazon (fulfilled by Target). They will lose some profits but that is what it will likely take to keep the volume up. I am just dreaming though :)
I suspect they are going to go the Walmart route and just buy/build their own marketplace and integrate it into target.com. And as with most things Target tries to copy from Walmart, it will be a spectacular failure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back