Archived Target won't cross-train me after my 90 days

Status
Not open for further replies.
master the front end... although if your TLs are like mine, they’ll hold you hostage in the front end when you do. cashiering can be mundane, but learning all of front end makes it easier to get hours. also, talking to a TL of a specific department helps. if they know you are interested and like you/ your work ethic, they can pull some strings to make it happen.

biggest time for cross training at my store has been march-june. i was being guest service trained around this time two years ago, but they didn’t have the hours to actually train or schedule me over there, so i just went over when we were slow and didn’t learn that much since we were soooo slow (big reason why cross training in front end is easier right now for you).

master the front end... although if your TLs are like mine, they’ll hold you hostage in the front end when you do. cashiering can be mundane, but learning all of front end makes it easier to get hours. also, talking to a TL of a specific department helps. if they know you are interested and like you/ your work ethic, they can pull some strings to make it happen.

biggest time for cross training at my store has been march-june. i was being guest service trained around this time two years ago, but they didn’t have the hours to actually train or schedule me over there, so i just went over when we were slow and didn’t learn that much since we were soooo slow (big reason why cross training in front end is easier right now for you).

I've heard that guest services pay isn't all that much more than cashier's, but that they learn a lot and get a lot of hours.Thanks!

This is actually one of the worst times of year to try and get cross trained. Hours are down for everyone and they will want to put people in places where they already know the job instead of wasting time teaching someone new. ASANTS but at mine people who were regularly getting 40hrs are only getting 20 right now. So even if they were willing to cross train you right now chances are that your hours will not go up much until late February at the earliest and they might not go up that much
I guess it's that way at most targets from what it seems.

We have family members working together - siblings, parents/kids - and I've never seen a problem. They're all mature enough to do their jobs and keep home and work separate. They actually work really well together. Maybe our store is the exception to the rule.

That said, stop being late. Just stop. If you've been there 90 days, you know how long it takes to get ready and you know how long it takes to get there. Apologies are worthless if guests have to wait because your store is short-handed because you're late.
Glad to know that family members can work together at some stores. And one of the times I showed up late was because I was trying to stop a friend from commiting suicide, one was because I was having issues viewing the schedule on my kronos and had no idea I worked, and the other was because my car wouldn't start. I would appreciate not judging my situation when you don't know the details, but I do understand how bad it is to be late.

Everyone (including those who are cross-trained) are getting low hours right now. Demanding to be crosstrained when you've just now become permanent is kinda ballsy. Learn your current work center, maybe ask to be trained at GS or any other extra front end areas (SCO), don't be late and ask again a few months down the road.

I don't feel as if I was being demanding, but I recall the person who hired me saying that I could cross-train. I may have misunderstood and had unrealistic expectations, but I was very polite and respectful when talking about it to H.R. I plan on asking again in few months, yeah.

There just aren't any hours right now to cross train people. Talk to the GSTL about learning the service desk when it is really slow up front for some cross training.
I had no idea how slow things would get. Everyone in the store seems to be pretty unhappy about it. Some cashier's are apparently only getting 5.5 hours in a week. That's crazy to me!

Truth. Last year my store got extra hours from corporate to cross-train from Starbucks but we were a pilot store. Don't expect to get cross-trained right away, especially for Starbucks which is usually a favorite for cross-training. Your best bet like @Yetive said is to get to know the Starbucks TL. A lot of times a Starbucks TL will be asked who they want for their work center.
I had a long talk with the cafe manager during my break the other day and I mentioned I may try to get into Starbucks, but I have no idea if she has the authority to arrange it/ what she can do about it?

I had a long talk with the cafe manager during my break the other day and I mentioned I may try to get into Starbucks, but I have no idea if she has the authority to arrange it/ what she can do about it?
ASANTS. Depends on the politics in your store and where she ranks on the unofficial hierarchy. It also depends whether or not there is room to add a TM to Starbucks at the moment, they may be understaffed because hours were cut.

ASANTS. My store is big on cross training right now. TMs are getting moved all over the place to provide coverage and get them some hours. I have two 8 hour cross training shifts on the two week out schedule that I didn't even ask for, but, I'll take them.

I had no idea how slow things would get. Everyone in the store seems to be pretty unhappy about it. Some cashier's are apparently only getting 5.5 hours in a week. That's crazy to me!
My store has some people getting only a 4 hour shifts.

ASANTS. Depends on the politics in your store and where she ranks on the unofficial hierarchy. It also depends whether or not there is room to add a TM to Starbucks at the moment, they may be understaffed because hours were cut.
I've heard they are understaffed and hiring right now.

ASANTS. My store is big on cross training right now. TMs are getting moved all over the place to provide coverage and get them some hours. I have two 8 hour cross training shifts on the two week out schedule that I didn't even ask for, but, I'll take them.
Wow! I'm glad you're getting some hours

Glad to know that family members can work together at some stores. And one of the times I showed up late was because I was trying to stop a friend from commiting suicide, one was because I was having issues viewing the schedule on my kronos and had no idea I worked, and the other was because my car wouldn't start. I would appreciate not judging my situation when you don't know the details, but I do understand how bad it is to be late.

I'm in HR at my day job, and I can tell you that the "why" of being late doesn't matter. Unless it applies to something like FMLA, ADA, etc, it doesn't matter. Late is late, and Target hates people who are late. Especially so many times in the first 90 days. That's probably why you received the reaction you did from HR.

ASANTS - Techincally family members can work in the same work center as long as neither of them are in a supervisor position. Some stores permit it by the STL. Some just don't allow it.

Talk to your Exec/TL and TL over Starbucks. HR is more a general contact for cross training.

Willingness to cross train gets more visible if you have an open availability.

Last edited:
ASANTS - Techincally family members can work in the same work center as long either of them is not in a supervisor position. Some stores permit it by the STL. Some just don't allow it.
Over time, our backroom had several sets of parent and son working together with no problems.

IF you start as a cashier and are successful getting RedCards it will be next to impossible to get cross trained

From what I've seen one could part the Red Sea easier.

Don't misunderstand me. Getting RedCards WILL give you favorable status but definitely not the ability to interact in different capacities.

Keep projecting a great attitude and willingness to be adaptable but if you want to work other areas of store don't get too many RedCards!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back