Archived Tax Free weekend 2015 sponsored by apathy

• Thread starter Guest
  • Start date
  • Replies 68
  • Views 5K
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ditto here.
This'll be the first year I can shop for my kids & not be working the whole weekend!!

Wow! No, it was per transaction, here. Now, if it changed this year, I have no clue. It's nice not to be in the middle of that craziness. Last year, even though I was in Starbucks, they put me on the salesfloor. I was like, "just shoot me." Lol

When Is Tax Free Weekend?
Here’s a list of Participating States & Dates:

Alabama Tax Free Weekend – August 7-9, 2015

Arkansas Tax Free Weekend – August 1-2, 2015

Connecticut Tax Free Weekend – August 16-22, 2015

Florida Tax Free Weekend – August 7 – 16, 2015

Georgia Tax Free Weekend – July 31 – August 2, 2015

Iowa Tax Free Weekend, August 7-8, 2015

Louisiana Tax Free Weekend, August 7-8, 2015

Maryland Tax Free Weekend, August 9-15, 2015

Mississippi Tax Free Weekend, August 7-8, 2015

Missouri Tax Free Weekend, August 7-9, 2015

New Mexico Tax Free Weekend, August 7-9, 2015

North Carolina Tax Free Weekend, 2015 – There is no tax free weekend this year in North Carolina. 2013 was the last year for this state.

Ohio Tax Free Weekend, August 7-9, 2015

Oklahoma Tax Free Weekend, August 7-9, 2015

South Carolina Tax Free Weekend, August 7-9, 2015

Tennessee Tax Free Weekend, August 7-9, 2015

Texas Tax Free Weekend, August 7-9, 2015

Virginia Tax Free Weekend, August 7-9, 2015

635737793002044430-salestax.jpg

Tennessee’s sales tax holiday — a popular driver of back-to-school spending for students and parents — is right around the corner.

Shoppers can buy qualifying items, including apparel, computers and backpacks, without paying local or state sales tax from 12:01 a.m. Friday, Aug. 7, until 11:59 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 9.

Our transactions were limited to $99.99 so we had to break down some guest's carts into separate transactions.
Our tax rate is like 8% so we could hawk the red card & guests went nuts to save 13%. Go figure.
Last couple of years I was at SB during regular shift fixing iced lattes for bitchy stressed-out moms (yeh, fun), then out to the lanes for a couple hours more because they ALWAYS have call-outs during heavy weekends (REAL fun).
If my hours were low for the week, I could always make bank come Saturday.

Heh can you say black friday weekend? Yup........ It'll be cray cray. I believe it is for every store not just target. Steer clear of every mall, store etc etc if you aren't working lol.

No wonder I haven't heard of this. Definitely not going on in my area. I've seen furniture or mattress stores do this though. They "cover" the tax as a promotion sometimes. Probably all they do is take whatever percentage off.
Except this is allowed by state laws and applies to every business that sells the eligible products.

I feel like tax free week would be better. Spread the madness out over the entire week instead of cramming it into 2-3 days.

My state used to do tax-free weekend, but they stopped when they got rid of the sales tax on clothing several years ago. Of course, the county in which my store is located still taxes clothing, so that pisses people off.

No state sales tax in AK.
Heck, we don't even have town sales tax in Anchorage though some of the smaller towns do.
We also don't have state income tax.
When it gets crazy here is when the PFDs come out.

So glad my state doesn't do tax free anything. I mean, it would be nice for my bank account but I'd feel so awful for retail workers, being one myself. I shudder at the thought.

Some highlights from my store:
The good:
- plenty of cashiers
- double LOD coverage
- 5 TMs in seasonal pushing out freight from the truck, then the pulls, then untouched backstock from the past 2 months.

The bad:
- so many FF orders for people's BTS shopping lists...
- pulls were crazy (TMs literally sprinting across the Backroom to get things done on time)
- selling out of key BTS items and getting angry guests

Nearly every lane open when I checked out.
Starbucks & FA were restocking ammo - er - supplies when I stopped by.

Record store opened today. They charged me state tax, but I didn't wanna be "that guy". Especially since they had free PBR. (I drank two)

things wern't ringing up as tax free for the first 8 hours of the day today, everyone had to press k5-k2 after every item that was supposed to be tax free. thankfully the problem was fixed. other than that it went pretty smoothly as far as i know. we had too many cashiers at one point and they were sent to do other things. but other times we needed a lot of backup.

This will be my song after today and Sunday. Hoping and hoping so much that this will be my last tax free weekend ever in retail.

'Tis my weekend off :)

I was told none of us were supposed to have the weekend off, even if our rotating schedule dictated that it was our weekend off, we were not supposed to get it. They were to give us extra days off during the week and have us come in this weekend...but they messed up my schedule. I win.

I do have some school shopping to do for my son, so I'm debating on whether or not to come in and point and laugh at all my co-workers while I use my TM discount/Redcard and get everything tax free. But I don't know if it'll be worth trying to brave the crowds...still deciding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back