Archived Team Lead Pay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do any of you tl's feel like you're still getting underpaid? I would just like to ask and also get an idea of what others are getting paid (those who wouldn't mind sharing). I was talking to a long time friend who is now located in a different state, and I was surprised to hear she was making $16/an hour as a tl. Now I know her well, I'm 100% sure she was being honest with me. Is this the case anywhere else?

Just to start the thread, I am in the high $13 dollar range, as a lead on the floor.

Jump from 14.50 to 16 after my review got a O even tho im new in role and no ass kissing involved either but i been with spot for 5 years now.

Keep in mind that Spot is going to pay more in areas where there is a higher demand for workers.
Also I'm kind of curious about some of the stores in the Seattle area where the minimum is going up to $15.00.

I don't know how many Targets they have in North Dakota for example but right now with the oil boom even low end retail jobs are getting paid real well because it's the only way they can hang on to workers.

Oh, and in answer to your question...

you are all being underpaid.

Last edited:
Well, @signing genie good for you, nice to hear of someone getting an O! Yeah well apparently I'm getting underpaid....I thought most leads were making about as much as me. Guess I've been clueless.

When I left, I was a sr.tl in logistics making 24.87. When I was first promoted to team lead (11 years ago) I was making 11.25. At the time that was decent.

Since then they have lowered the tl pay grade to 11 (13 and 15 still exist) so as a whole, team leads get paid significantly less than they used to.

Keep in mind that Spot is going to pay more in areas where there is a higher demand for workers.
Also I'm kind of curious about some of the stores in the Seattle area where the minimum is going up to $15.00.

I don't know how many Targets they have in North Dakota for example but right now with the oil boom even low end retail jobs are getting paid real well because it's the only way they can hang on to workers.

The stores there are apparently being out matched by everybody else. Surprised Target hasn't adjusted in that region. So many colleges in the area bring in new students every year bringing in more student loans to be spent... Those Targets could be doing major sales but arent... it's unfortunate.

To answer the OP... It depends on how long you have been with the company and how good your performance is(this is 100% true). it also depends on if you have an HR that is willing to go to battle for you and if your ETL that supports you. my 2 TL's WERE at around 12 an hour but after getting results and me putting my azz on the line they are up to 16-17/hr in the last year. they went from E's to EX's with a little umph. i was told that if there performance slipped that I would feel it, needless to say im still good haha

edit: this may look bad but in my opinion if the leadership of your areas is happy and the rest of the team was stoked about the 9/hr minimum then culture will amazing. this has proven true. i will also add that I had a long conversation with the DTL and HRBP to get this approved. i don't want it to sound like it was as easy as it sounds. i have to get all of our results from the past year etc

Last edited:
When I promoted to TL I was making $16. After I got my paygrade 13 last year and my EX review this year, I'm making close to $18. When I start SrTL here in a month or so, I'll be making right around $20.

Sometimes I feel a little guilty because I make more than TLs that have been there much longer than I, but started at a much lower pay rate. But then I remember that I've worked my ass off since I started, I've made my departments green no matter where I've worked (even before I was a TL), and my reviews have always been EX. So then I don't feel so bad.

Last edited:
I am an external hire in a LCOL area, and have prior experience in AP. I started off at $16.50 an hour. Not bad for a TL, although APTL's are the highest non-senior paygrade, so in that sense it's not as exciting. I know the majority of APTL's in my district make less than me, some significantly. Pretty sure one TPS that was promoted to APTL makes $12 an hour. Ouch. I'd never stay in position for that.

We have these threads about pay, and while it's fun to compare what everyone makes, there are many factors that go into it that we can't truly compare them so easily. Who is an internal hire and who is an external hire? Do you have prior experience as an external hire? What if you've been with Target for years and have multiple merit increases tacked on your pay? Does the base pay start lower because you live in a low cost of living area, or do you live in California and it starts higher? What TL position do you actually have? Because TL's can be paygrade 11, 13, and 15.

The hourly wage by itself doesn't mean as much without the story behind it.

Last edited:
I am new to my role but I started at 13.50 for salesfloor TL. Luckily I still got the TL merit raise, even though I was only in role for 2 months. It brought me up to
14.50. I don't think I'm being underpaid, seriously my job is not stressful and it's not rocket science. I would love to make as much as my peers do, but they've been TL for longer and in different workcenters.

Would I want to make more money? Hell yeah!

Like others have said the pay depends on so many factors. Position, years, reviews, location, etc. I'm pretty certain I'm the lowest paid TL in the store
my CTL makes $19 and two other salesfloor TLs make $17+.

There are no targets near the oil boom. They're further East

Oil boom is located in several states due to shale or horizional drilling, like Pennsylvania, Ohio, Utah, & Colorado. Spot will figure it out , slowly.

Natural Gas exploded a few years ago in PA but salaries in the area stayed the same for retail. ETLs in my home town start in low $40k compared to mid $50k here. But if you think you work long days and many hours, the gas guys work 80 hrs a week and work hours from home. Chasing that paper hardcore.

Only been in role for a month or so...I'm pretty fresh. Making upper $13 dollars an hour isn't so bad than, but I'd really like to earn more. Do I just need to wait and perform well in my role? Or wait until reviews come around? What about changing paygrades assuming my workcenter is green? I'm not trying to jump the gun, just wanna earn more like we all do. Thanks for all the answers guys, took me a while to get back on, it's been a busy week!:rolleyes:

I am an external hire in a LCOL area, and have prior experience in AP. I started off at $16.50 an hour. Not bad for a TL, although APTL's are the highest non-senior paygrade, so in that sense it's not as exciting. I know the majority of APTL's in my district make less than me, some significantly. Pretty sure one TPS that was promoted to APTL makes $12 an hour. Ouch. I'd never stay in position for that.
Wow. I was hired as TPS at 12.75 in December, and was at 13 by the end of January, and I only had two years experience as an intern for a local PD.

Only been in role for a month or so...I'm pretty fresh. Making upper $13 dollars an hour isn't so bad than, but I'd really like to earn more. Do I just need to wait and perform well in my role? Or wait until reviews come around? What about changing paygrades assuming my workcenter is green? I'm not trying to jump the gun, just wanna earn more like we all do. Thanks for all the answers guys, took me a while to get back on, it's been a busy week!:rolleyes:
Assume nothing. Be stellar & one step ahead of spot.

Why do APTLs start so high? The one at our store started at $18.50! WTF!!! Interestingly enough if I were to demote from SrTL to TL I would only make 75 cents less per hour. The 75 cents is not worth the bullshit or the stress!

Why do APTLs start so high? The one at our store started at $18.50! WTF!!! Interestingly enough if I were to demote from SrTL to TL I would only make 75 cents less per hour. The 75 cents is not worth the bullshit or the stress!
I would assume that they're getting higher pay for experience. As a APTL, they probably have several years of experience in AP or similar, and AP has a higher starting wage to begin with.

I started with Spot as a Hard Lines Sr. TL back in December 2014, never having worked a day of retail in my life. My STL's initial offer was 17.50/hr., but I asked if she was negotiable with the wage and she said she was. I came back asking for 20-21/hr., but we settled on 19/hr. I considered this a fair offer since I had no clue what in the hell I was doing or coming into with the retail world and all.

I started with Spot as a Hard Lines Sr. TL back in December 2014, never having worked a day of retail in my life. My STL's initial offer was 17.50/hr., but I asked if she was negotiable with the wage and she said she was. I came back asking for 20-21/hr., but we settled on 19/hr. I considered this a fair offer since I had no clue what in the hell I was doing or coming into with the retail world and all.
You got lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back