Archived Team leader to ETL

Status
Not open for further replies.
No reason to be so condescending. He simply interpreted it to mean that lower level college degrees now sufficed. Apparently that isn't the case, woopee doo.

Sorry, I have had a hellish day. Had a Best Buy manager get in my face and accuse me of not doing my job. (which was complete BS) Somehow he told best buy corporate, who called SCEA. Then had my boss call me about it and rip my ass, then had his boss call me about it and rip my ass.

Sorry, I have had a hellish day. Had a Best Buy manager get in my face and accuse me of not doing my job. (which was complete BS) Somehow he told best buy corporate, who called SCEA. Then had my boss call me about it and rip my ass, then had his boss call me about it and rip my ass.

I understand where you were coming from a bit better. I just saw he was new here and didn't want him to be unnecessarily run off. Cheers!

Just got word today my ETL interviews are June 12th! Good olde Talent Tuesday..... Wish me luck. Little over a moth to prepare!!!!

Just got word today my ETL interviews are June 12th! Good olde Talent Tuesday..... Wish me luck. Little over a moth to prepare!!!!

Plenty of time to "run screaming into the night......"
But, good luck. Prep hard & do great things.

I think the reason the no "internal promotions" idea is so strong is due to the fact that no one has a bachelors degree thus you never see anyone get promoted. I mean - think about it? How many TMs at your store have a bachelors degree? Not a lesser degree like an associates or "some college", but an actual bachelors degree? I know at my store no one - no TM or TL - had a bachelors degree. Hell, I was the only one below ETL level that even had an associates degree. Also, remember that target does not accept online degrees like Devry or University of Phoenix, so that knocks a lot of people out right away.

Also - some TMs bull sh** about having a degree. For example, I interviewed a TM one time (that we hired). During the interview she was bragging to me that she had just gotten her GED and was so proud of herself. She actually brought the GED to show me, and sure enough she had just gotten it. (really you don't even need a GED to be a TM)

A few *months* later I overheard her bragging to other TMs that she had a four year degree in computer engineering.....

So moral of the story? If a person is working at target as a TM that is pretty much your first clue that they do not have a degree.

I am a SRTL and I am going to University of Phoenix and it is accepted just fine. In fact an STL that is in one of the videos on the T website has his degree from University of Phoenix. It is an accepted school.

Oh my....... Found out today that my name has been mentioned several time by District level peeps for a ETL position in a NEW STORE......... This should be fun?!?!

Oh my....... Found out today that my name has been mentioned several time by District level peeps for a ETL position in a NEW STORE......... This should be fun?!?!

That's always encouraging! That's the same feeling I got when I heard through the grapevine that my DTL loved me and couldn't wait to interview me.

You have to have a 4 year degree. Work hard. Make EVERYONE your friend. Get support form other ETL's and STL's. Don't let anyone here discourage you, because it is perfectly doable. I was a Christmas hire and I'll be a ETL by the end of the summer. I've been with company for 1.5 years.

That is awesome!!! Nice job!! It's great to hear someone who is motivated and sees that it can be done! Keep at it and you will be on your way to the top!!

I think the reason the no "internal promotions" idea is so strong is due to the fact that no one has a bachelors degree thus you never see anyone get promoted. I mean - think about it? How many TMs at your store have a bachelors degree? Not a lesser degree like an associates or "some college", but an actual bachelors degree? I know at my store no one - no TM or TL - had a bachelors degree. Hell, I was the only one below ETL level that even had an associates degree. Also, remember that target does not accept online degrees like Devry or University of Phoenix, so that knocks a lot of people out right away.

As long as it is accredited, Target accepts online degrees just like most other employers.

Also - some TMs bull sh** about having a degree. For example, I interviewed a TM one time (that we hired). During the interview she was bragging to me that she had just gotten her GED and was so proud of herself. She actually brought the GED to show me, and sure enough she had just gotten it. (really you don't even need a GED to be a TM)

A few *months* later I overheard her bragging to other TMs that she had a four year degree in computer engineering.....

So moral of the story? If a person is working at target as a TM that is pretty much your first clue that they do not have a degree.

There is no way your degree will tell us where you are from unless you tell us the school it came from. What is your major? That is all I want to know. That in no way, shape, or form will tell us where you live.

Also, actually $88/hour probably is pretty close to what you could be making. Considering you could potentially have a job with a defined benefit pension (VERY different than the target defined contribution pension, so don't even try to compare the two), better health insurance, stock options, employee profit sharing plan, etc on top of your salary. When you factor in all of the extra benefits college grads can get on top of their salary they make way more than just their base pay....

Plus you have to factor in long term promotions, raises, etc. Let's say you stay a TM at target for 20 years (or hell, even TL). Eventually you will hit max pay that is allowed. For a TM that is probably around $13/hour, for a TL maybe about $17 depending on your region.

Now, let's take a college grad in a professional job. College grad could easily be starting at 50K and reach retirement age making $100-200K (or even more if they were promoted a few times). That is a huge difference over a TM at target.

So, let's do the math here.

We are talking five times your current pay. You said that would place you at $88.25 an hour.... so right now you are making $17.65/hour. Never heard of a TM (or even a TL) making that much, but I will just assume you are some kind of wonder TM that got an "Outstanding" every review for a few years and somehow did it.

Now, let's assume you work 160 hours every month. That is about 40 hours a week. Again, as a TM I would be amazed if you pulled that off, but let's just say you somehow do it.

That would put you at about $33,888 annually before taxes. (and you are a TM?)

Ok, so let's assume you stay at Target making the crazy high wage for a TM of $17.65. Now, let's project your income over five years compared to the guy working a job with a college degree making 50K. (about starting a job needing a degree)

In five years you will have made $169,440 at your current job at Target. (before taxes, of course)

In five years guy that got the college grad job - makes $250,000.

So college grad guy makes $80,560 more than you in five years time.

Let's that you are reading this five years from now and want to catch up to him by finally getting a job that needs a degree and making all the money he has earned during the last five years. How much would you have to make per hour ***just to catch up to him*** in a years time? You would have to make about $59.60/hour. Just to catch up to him in one year!

Sure puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

And guess what? That is assuming you have been honest with us and actually make $17.65/hour as a TM. It also assumes you make 40 hours a week. If you make less than 40 hours a week (or less than your highest paid TM in the company wage of $17.65) you come out even worse compared to the guy working a job that needs a degree. Also, I didn't factor in annual raises for college degree guy or his better benefits.

So again, tell me how you come out ahead working at Target instead of a job that requires a degree?

Obviously you don't have a degree. The average income for a new out of college job is 25-35k. And you are honestly insane (or not very smart) if you think someone straight out of college will come close to $88 per hour after perks and benefits!!! LOL!! That is so dumb its laughable!!!

I am a SRTL and I am going to University of Phoenix and it is accepted just fine. In fact an STL that is in one of the videos on the T website has his degree from University of Phoenix. It is an accepted school.

This is true. There it a team member in my store being promoted to TL who just got a 2 year from University of Phoenix. (The promotion comes with the understanding that he will be getting a 4 year degree).

Have you applied for ETL positions? I don't mean "talking to your ETL", I mean straight up applying on the Target.com salaried careers page and just bypassing them?

There was a TL I worked with for about 5 years who had a 4 year degree and was stuck at TL. For some reason, he kept asking ETLs about getting hired as an ETL and they kept BSing him with "oh you need more experience" etc.

One day he just straight up went to Target.com and applied for ETL without even telling anyone in the store. A few weeks later he was called by a district HR person and he was hired as an ETL just like that.

I think your best bet is to do like he did - just go to Target.com and straight up apply for an ETL posting. At that point, it is handled at the district level, not the store level..... in other words, other ETLs have zero say on it.

Tgtgrl4life should definitely try going the ETL route! But understand that the quote above " a few weeks later he was called by district HR and was hired as an ETL just like that" is nonsense! Lol! You can definitely go that route, but just know you will need to go through a series of about 5 different. Sets of interviews that you will need to do quite a bit of prep for. I'm positive you have what it takes, I just don't want you to be mislead by some people into thinking it will just be handed to you. It is not easy to get promoted, but spot just wants to make sure thy have great people in the right place. You can do it!!!

Tgtgrl4life should definitely try going the ETL route! But understand that the quote above " a few weeks later he was called by district HR and was hired as an ETL just like that" is nonsense! Lol! You can definitely go that route, but just know you will need to go through a series of about 5 different. Sets of interviews that you will need to do quite a bit of prep for. I'm positive you have what it takes, I just don't want you to be mislead by some people into thinking it will just be handed to you. It is not easy to get promoted, but spot just wants to make sure thy have great people in the right place. You can do it!!!

Obviously there was an interview. You are intentionally misconstruing what I said. I meant that he was hired through the normal process of directly applying for an ETL spot and was not required to go through the store leadership.

Got to vent here. I have a BA degree and I have been with Target for a long time. So long I don't want to think or tell how long it has been. My degree specializes in newspaper writing. However, that industry is practically dead. Yes, I could do better, but I just can't seem to get going. It could be because of my aging parents. It could be it took me longer than expected to get any job (Target is the first job I ever had). It could be the first job syndrome. Maybe it's the fear of the unknown. Maybe it's the economy. I know I could do better, but I am not.

Got to vent here. I have a BA degree and I have been with Target for a long time. So long I don't want to think or tell how long it has been. My degree specializes in newspaper writing. However, that industry is practically dead. Yes, I could do better, but I just can't seem to get going. It could be because of my aging parents. It could be it took me longer than expected to get any job (Target is the first job I ever had). It could be the first job syndrome. Maybe it's the fear of the unknown. Maybe it's the economy. I know I could do better, but I am not.
it is perfectly fine to work at Target! I worked at Target for almost three years in college, spent two years working in a job my degree was in and now I'm coming back to Target. I found what I went to school for wasn't for me (at least right now).

Your sincerity is greatly appreciated in these parts. GTC to you.

it is perfectly fine to work at Target! I worked at Target for almost three years in college, spent two years working in a job my degree was in and now I'm coming back to Target. I found what I went to school for wasn't for me (at least right now).

Um... "what you went to school for" doesn't really matter. Most jobs (unless they are highly technical, like chemist or computer programmer) only require that you have a degree in anything. So that really shouldn't matter.

If you have a degree, why wouldn't you just apply for ETL when you came back?

Also, how are you paying your bills *and* massive student loans on a TM wage?

I know the message was directed to rocnrach, but in case anyone was wondering:

I originally did have intentions to be an ETL, but because I had no experience, I was told that I have to work on my way up first (this was during the time when Team Leads were "easily" promoted to ETL.s).

Later, I was told I did not have ETL potential, but, after observing what ETL's have to go through, I wasn't too eager to become one anyway.

I went to a public university and at that time, it was affordable (back in the early 90s), as long has you had extra cash (I has $8000 saved).

I aslo did not have to go through the expense of a car since I did not have one.

I am a TM, but my hourly wage is higher than some team leads, I was averaging about 37 hours a week, although, for the past few months, I been scheduled between 23-27 hours.

I know the message was directed to rocnrach, but in case anyone was wondering:

I originally did have intentions to be an ETL, but because I had no experience, I was told that I have to work on my way up first (this was during the time when Team Leads were "easily" promoted to ETL.s).

Later, I was told I did not have ETL potential, but, after observing what ETL's have to go through, I wasn't too eager to become one anyway.

I went to a public university and at that time, it was affordable (back in the early 90s), as long has you had extra cash (I has $8000 saved).

I aslo did not have to go through the expense of a car since I did not have one.

I am a TM, but my hourly wage is higher than some team leads, I was averaging about 37 hours a week, although, for the past few months, I been scheduled between 23-27 hours.

I just am having trouble understanding why you haven't used your degree to move a much higher paying job. If I had a 4 year degree when I was working at Target, my ass would have been out of there years earlier. I spent years at Target, and I know having a degree and getting out was the dream of 99% of TMs at my store.

I mean - even if you actually love working retail - why not go to Wal-mart, Costco, etc with your degree and apply for an upper management job? You know you would probably be hired right away, right?

Obviously if you have a degree there are tons of other jobs you could get also. You could get government jobs, jobs with major companies like AT&T, etc.

It just doesn't make sense to me that someone would go through all the effort to get a 4 year degree, and then not use it. Also - people like to make it sound like getting a 4 year degree is easy, but let's be real people - it is damn hard to do. Only about 25% of the population has one. (in some states even less) It is not easy - it takes 4 years of your life, and you actually have to know WTF you are doing to pass your upper level classes.

So yea, back to the point. It just doesn't make sense to me. At my store - no one - and I mean no one - who was a TL or lower had a 4 year degree. In all of my years working at Target, no one under TL level ever told me they had a 4 year degree. The most was a 2 year degree, but even that was damn rare. When I left my store only myself and another TL had a 2 year degree, but for a few years before that I was the only one TL and under who even had a 2 year degree.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back