Archived Team leader to ETL

Status
Not open for further replies.
This^
Some of us have multiple degrees yet our fields have either been cut (teachers), out-sourced (engineers) or imported (nurses) so we're marking time until we can find an opening that pays at least better than spot.

Some of us have old degrees in fields that are a bit esoteric.

This^
Some of us have multiple degrees yet our fields have either been cut (teachers), out-sourced (engineers) or imported (nurses) so we're marking time until we can find an opening that pays at least better than spot.

I know for a fact that you can find jobs in nursing and, depending upon the type, engineering. I have friends an family in these areas being actively recruiting.

Teaching OTOH is a rough market.

Then, and I mean no disrespect by this, what are you doing working at Target? Don't you realize you could be making 5 times as much money working outside of retail, better benefits, and better working conditions?

Even if you just really like target, why not apply for the ETL postings that are almost always up on Target.com?

Do you have a felony/drug conviction/bad credit/etc that is keeping you at Target?

Sweet dude! I'll tell you my 4 year degree and you find me the job that makes 5 times my current pay. I'm all over that!!!! Tell me when your ready. I had no clue it was that easy!!!!!! I'll tell the wife to start packing, we're moving into a NEW house.

Sweet dude! I'll tell you my 4 year degree and you find me the job that makes 5 times my current pay. I'm all over that!!!! Tell me when your ready. I had no clue it was that easy!!!!!! I'll tell the wife to start packing, we're moving into a NEW house.

What is your degree?

Do you have a felony/drug conviction/bad credit/etc that is keeping you at Target?

I really resent that.[/QUOTE]

It was a serious question, and nothing to be ashamed of. Lots more people than you might realize have made mistakes in the past, and unfortunately it makes it difficult for them to get jobs even when they have totally turned around.

Sad to say it's about as useful as underwater basket weaving.
My advice to the young.
1) You avocation might not be the best vocation.
2) Getting a degree in something that, if you have morals, pretty much limits you to volunteer work isn't the best choice.
3) Certain degrees make people not want to hire you.

However I can have a great conversation about labor organization or Noam Chomsky if you get my drift.

Reactions: nib
very well said, every job deserves a fair wage, even retail. Does it deserve 50$/hr, probably not, but no job should pay less than 10$.
Sad to say it's about as useful as underwater basket weaving.
My advice to the young.
1) You avocation might not be the best vocation.
2) Getting a degree in something that, if you have morals, pretty much limits you to volunteer work isn't the best choice.
3) Certain degrees make people not want to hire you.

However I can have a great conversation about labor organization or Noam Chomsky if you get my drift.

My degree is pretty specific and may give my locale, but I will say I don't know many (meaning any) folks with my bachelor's degree making $88.25 an hour. I'm on my planned path with Target and my 4 year degree is serving it's purpose, albeit in a different manner than I purchased it for.

My degree is pretty specific and may give my locale, but I will say I don't know many (meaning any) folks with my bachelor's degree making $88.25 an hour. I'm on my planned path with Target and my 4 year degree is serving it's purpose, albeit in a different manner than I purchased it for.

There is no way your degree will tell us where you are from unless you tell us the school it came from. What is your major? That is all I want to know. That in no way, shape, or form will tell us where you live.

Also, actually $88/hour probably is pretty close to what you could be making. Considering you could potentially have a job with a defined benefit pension (VERY different than the target defined contribution pension, so don't even try to compare the two), better health insurance, stock options, employee profit sharing plan, etc on top of your salary. When you factor in all of the extra benefits college grads can get on top of their salary they make way more than just their base pay....

Plus you have to factor in long term promotions, raises, etc. Let's say you stay a TM at target for 20 years (or hell, even TL). Eventually you will hit max pay that is allowed. For a TM that is probably around $13/hour, for a TL maybe about $17 depending on your region.

Now, let's take a college grad in a professional job. College grad could easily be starting at 50K and reach retirement age making $100-200K (or even more if they were promoted a few times). That is a huge difference over a TM at target.

So, let's do the math here.

We are talking five times your current pay. You said that would place you at $88.25 an hour.... so right now you are making $17.65/hour. Never heard of a TM (or even a TL) making that much, but I will just assume you are some kind of wonder TM that got an "Outstanding" every review for a few years and somehow did it.

Now, let's assume you work 160 hours every month. That is about 40 hours a week. Again, as a TM I would be amazed if you pulled that off, but let's just say you somehow do it.

That would put you at about $33,888 annually before taxes. (and you are a TM?)

Ok, so let's assume you stay at Target making the crazy high wage for a TM of $17.65. Now, let's project your income over five years compared to the guy working a job with a college degree making 50K. (about starting a job needing a degree)

In five years you will have made $169,440 at your current job at Target. (before taxes, of course)

In five years guy that got the college grad job - makes $250,000.

So college grad guy makes $80,560 more than you in five years time.

Let's that you are reading this five years from now and want to catch up to him by finally getting a job that needs a degree and making all the money he has earned during the last five years. How much would you have to make per hour ***just to catch up to him*** in a years time? You would have to make about $59.60/hour. Just to catch up to him in one year!

Sure puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

And guess what? That is assuming you have been honest with us and actually make $17.65/hour as a TM. It also assumes you make 40 hours a week. If you make less than 40 hours a week (or less than your highest paid TM in the company wage of $17.65) you come out even worse compared to the guy working a job that needs a degree. Also, I didn't factor in annual raises for college degree guy or his better benefits.

So again, tell me how you come out ahead working at Target instead of a job that requires a degree?

Last edited:
There is no way your degree will tell us where you are from unless you tell us the school it came from. What is your major?

Also, actually $88/hour probably is pretty close to what you could be making. Considering you could potentially have a job with a defined benefit pension (VERY different than the target defined contribution pension, so don't even try to compare the two), better health insurance, stock options, employee profit sharing plan, etc on top of your salary. When you factor in all of the extra benefits college grads can get on top of their salary they make way more than just their base pay....

Thanks for the offer SOT, but I'll keep my anonymity!

State, knowing what type of 4 year degree is not the issue. Insite did graduate from a college. Stop judging folks on degrees, it is a piece of paper, until the right job opp comes along. Spot is a temp job that pays some bills. You had stated that your former store let go several tl's go because of no degree. Then your Stl called you, she offered your old job back as tl & your degree is associate's, not 4 year degree. Some folks have to start somewhere to get experience to help get that job. Having spot on your resume, for a few years is a good thing.

State, knowing what type of 4 year degree is not the issue. Insite did graduate from a college. Stop judging folks on degrees, it is a piece of paper, until the right job opp comes along. Spot is a temp job that pays some bills. You had stated that your former store let go several tl's go because of no degree. Then your Stl called you, she offered your old job back as tl & your degree is associate's, not 4 year degree. Some folks have to start somewhere to get experience to help get that job. Having spot on your resume, for a few years is a good thing.

Dude, I am not judging anyone on their degree!!! Read the whole thread.

He volunteered the information that he had a degree! I never even brought it up!

Then I asked him why he wanted to stay at Target as a TM with a degree, and he ***asked me!!!*** to find him some job listings that he could apply for saying he would gladly do so.

Then, per his request, I asked him what his degree was in so I could find out if there was anything available he might not be aware of.

Then all of a sudden he comes up with the BS that he can't say what his degree is in because it will tell me where he lives. (WTF? Knowing he has a degree in biology, for example, will tell me where he lives? Basically this tell me he doesn't have a degree because knowing what his degree is in has nothing to do with where he lives)

Now I am the one that is in the wrong?

Dude, I am not judging anyone on their degree!!! Read the whole thread.

He volunteered the information that he had a degree! I never even brought it up!

Then I asked him why he wanted to stay at Target as a TM with a degree, and he ***asked me!!!*** to find him some job listings that he could apply for saying he would gladly do so.

Then, per his request, I asked him what his degree was in so I could find out if there was anything available he might not be aware of.

Then all of a sudden he comes up with the BS that he can't say what his degree is in because it will tell me where he lives. (WTF? Knowing he has a degree in biology, for example, will tell me where he lives? Basically this tell me he doesn't have a degree because knowing what his degree is in has nothing to do with where he lives)

Now I am the one that is in the wrong?

Some degree programs are very specialized and are only offered in a small number of colleges, plus they may only be useful in certain areas of the country. If insiteful1 were to give away this info, Spot would be able to figure out where he lives (and, based on everything he has contributed to this forum, who he is). His degree is obviously in something more specialized than biology.

State, I'm happy for you that you were able to escape the Sea of Red and get a better job. Unfortunately, it isn't as easy for everyone else to find that job right away. insiteful1 still works at Target because he hasn't found a job yet in his field of study. Like HLM said, he needs to pay the bills somehow, plus his experience at Spot will look good on his resume.

insiteful1, if you change your mind and accept State's offer, you could always send a PM to him.

There is no bachelors degree that is so specific that you could be tracked down because of stating it.

I have a BS in psychology and I'm still working as a min. wage slave here two years after graduation. I honestly don't know what's keeping me from a better job and it's very worrisome to me. Maybe low self esteem. I know I have much much much much more potential than I think but I am overwhelmed by the real world. I don't even know where to start. I'm living away from my parents (with their help... could definitely not live away on Target TM wage) and even though I am enjoying life, I would like to splurge, spoil by bf the way he spoils me, eat out and not worry about paying my bills. I honestly have a roadblock that is keeping me from doing what I want to do and I have no idea how to get rid of it. I know the abundant resources out there to get a job. Maybe I'm overwhelmed at all the options out there.

*sigh...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back