Archived Team Member refuses to do backup cashiering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well I did have a panic attack and ran out of the store and hid next to a bench while trying to backup cashier. Thats why I suggested it could be the reason. To many people, to close, in my space, breathing my air, their auras touching mine, its to much.

We have a veteran plano team member, older gentleman (not THAT old), who won't even take a walkie when he starts his shift. That's his way to avoid backup cashiering.

I'm not his direct supervisor, obviously, but it still kind of annoys me. I'm in AP and even I've helped out at the service desk when they are swamped, or helped out at the Electronics counter. No matter a person's job, we are ultimately there for one reason. To help Target be a successful business. So like I said it annoys me, but I'm not going to talk to him or coach the guy on it. That's up to his TL and ETL. But they are pussies and don't coach for anything really. And they wonder why the team members feel like they can do whatever they want and not listen to them. But if I was one of his peers, I would be pissed at him for not taking a walkie and not backing up while I run around and work pulls and do backups all day.
If my AP-BP found out I was checking people out at the service desk or electronics...I would so be fired.

One of my co workers on pricing refuses to get on the register. Has worked at target 4 years and she isnt "register trained". Okay well it takes but an hour to get trained I dont see how she has gone that long without training. Whenever we are both on the floor for pricing they only call me up to the lanes, never her. How is that fair? Why do I always have to run up there? And whenever its just her by herself they just never bother to make her get up there. I have told her many times that she needs to be a team player but she just insists that she is above the cash register

We have a veteran plano team member, older gentleman (not THAT old), who won't even take a walkie when he starts his shift. That's his way to avoid backup cashiering.

I'm not his direct supervisor, obviously, but it still kind of annoys me. I'm in AP and even I've helped out at the service desk when they are swamped, or helped out at the Electronics counter. No matter a person's job, we are ultimately there for one reason. To help Target be a successful business. So like I said it annoys me, but I'm not going to talk to him or coach the guy on it. That's up to his TL and ETL. But they are pussies and don't coach for anything really. And they wonder why the team members feel like they can do whatever they want and not listen to them. But if I was one of his peers, I would be pissed at him for not taking a walkie and not backing up while I run around and work pulls and do backups all day.
I can see helping at electronics casing or spiderwrap items for guest to take to the front lanes, but how exactly are you helping at the service desk? Scaring away the coupon scammers?

If my AP-BP found out I was checking people out at the service desk or electronics...I would so be fired.

I've gotten more redcards in the last year than some of the other TL's who actually do regular backups. No one is going to be firing me for being global :)

I've gotten more redcards in the last year than some of the other TL's who actually do regular backups. No one is going to be firing me for being global :)
I wish I could help on the checklanes but..
Thats actually how the AP-TL got fired before me. The IC noticed his number was being used for other things besides training receipts for apps. He got officially fired for gross misconduct for being a conflict of interest. I'm really really really surpised they let you do that.

I'm in AP and even I've helped out at the service desk when they are swamped, or helped out at the Electronics counter.

How does this work when you can't even be given register access with your jobcode?

Our APBP is strict on this, too. We had a TPS put on Final for using Smart Sort at the Guest Service registers under another TM's #s. The rule is no touching the registers whatsoever. Even our ETL-AP is instructed to keep clear of the registers the vast majority of the time, save for certain LOD duties where a register may be required.

Last edited:
Wow...our ap guy uses smart sort on the registers all the time with another TM's number. Fine by me....I dont want to be the one to empty package out a billion clothing tags.

Meh. You can't force someone to do something they don't want to do. After the night I had a cart attendant refuse to get carts, I figure it's pretty much open season on doing or not doing your job.
I experienced this at one store where the new Cart Attendant refused to go collect carts during a heavy storm. Come to find out, he called his father who told him not to go outside. Granted there was some lightning. But he ended up just sitting in the breakroom for most of the shift and never communicated to the GSTL on anything and never worked on anything else.

The CA was never seen again.

I worked CA in rain storms. If there was nearby lightning, I came in or grabbed what I could real fast. If there was an immediate weather condition, I ran as many carts in as possible. But always communicated with the GSTL.

I really never refused any duty or anything. There were duties I absolutely hated because the lack of respect on how they were assigned.

Last edited:
Our cart attendants work in rain, snow, whatever. But if there's lightning, they're instructed to stay inside for safety reasons and work on other tasks like actually cleaning the bathrooms instead of just pushing the buttons.

I like working in the rain. I'm completely geared up and ready to go!

The times I opened as CA, if rain was expected, I pulled in as many reserves as I could fit. At least then I started with plenty of dry carts.
I wore a bright orange rain poncho & kept a large umbrella at service desk for the times that moms ran to get the car while the kids stayed inside with me. They'd pull up to the front & I ferry the kiddos out under my big brelly.

I think it's interesting to read threads like this. I'm a broken record on this subject. I've been in the fixture room and been called up by name because it's "everyone's" job to backup and we all have to take turns. So, on the way up, I pass three backroom tms, the receiving guy, 20 on flow, the sft/pmt, the flow tl ... All of whom never backup or get called out.

I'm not saying they should. But it's a lie to stand at huddle and say "it's everyone's job to backup cashier."

Ugh. Just do like one of our hardlines TMs...every time we call for back up, she immediately gets on the Walkie and says she's in the backroom. She does it so often, it simply isn't possible to get anything done on the floor with the amount of time she is supposedly back there. But somehow, just saying that is good enough as if she were to actually come back up.

I think it's interesting to read threads like this. I'm a broken record on this subject. I've been in the fixture room and been called up by name because it's "everyone's" job to backup and we all have to take turns. So, on the way up, I pass three backroom tms, the receiving guy, 20 on flow, the sft/pmt, the flow tl ... All of whom never backup or get called out.

I'm not saying they should. But it's a lie to stand at huddle and say "it's everyone's job to backup cashier."
On that list none I'd then is cashier trained at my store. Couple if the flow tan are, but they don't backup due to it not being part of their core rules. My etl-log does all the time. Add dies my etl-hr and stl if needed.

It is everyone's responsibility or not. We are there to help the guests. If you're stocking one spot and the line is backed up, why should the guest have to wait for price change tm to walk up from rear seasonal? I just don't get that logic.

It is everyone's responsibility or not. We are there to help the guests. If you're stocking one spot and the line is backed up, why should the guest have to wait for price change tm to walk up from rear seasonal? I just don't get that logic.

Have you read the thread. ASANTS duh! I am a flow tm. We never, or are we expected to, backup cashier. When I push I help guests, talk about cartwheel and he'll I even talk up the target debit. I do not cashier. It is not everyone's responsibility

On that list none of them is cashier trained at my store. Couple if the flow team are, but they don't backup due to it not being part of their core roles. My etl-log does all the time. As does my etl-hr and stl if needed.
I think your auto correct has gone a bit haywire

Bwahaha. My autocorrect has a bit of an attitude when it comes to some words. It's always trying to replace "always" with "Asshats" ever since I added it to the dictionary...

In my store there's one CAF pusher who outright refuses to go up for backup and has gotten into spats with a particular LOD when she calls him out on it and coaches him, insisting it's not his job.

We have a couple of Spanish speakers (very little English but the majority of the store is bilingual) on the sales floor who are not cashiered train and refuse to back up. I know a lot of the team gets mad about it but they're little old ladies who can't figure out a pda or register but damn do they get a better zone done in 4 hours than the 18 year olds can in 8. So I let them slide and when the LOD or team complains I tell them when they can get all of men's, toys/sports, and stationary done in 4 hours than I'll start calling them for backup.

I'll be honest, I backup when it is convenient to me. Usually, I am pulling/backstocking, setting an aisle, or filling. If they call out when I'm leaving clerical or the breakroom, I'll hop on for sure. However, I won't be kept there for 20 min.

In my store, I have been part of Plano setting Stationary, directly in front of checklanes and no one responded to backup lol. :D

Has anyone heard of a block on a team member number that won't allow the change in status to ring sales? I tried to change the status on this one guy's number and there is no option to ring sales. He said that years ago, an ETL did something so he'd never have to cashier.

My real question is how to un-fix it so he'll have to be cashier trained.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back