Archived Team Member refuses to do backup cashiering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have you read the thread. ASANTS duh! I am a flow tm. We never, or are we expected to, backup cashier. When I push I help guests, talk about cartwheel and he'll I even talk up the target debit. I do not cashier. It is not everyone's responsibility

Can I just say I love the fact that your handle is "No I in team" and your wrote this post?

Has anyone heard of a block on a team member number that won't allow the change in status to ring sales? I tried to change the status on this one guy's number and there is no option to ring sales. He said that years ago, an ETL did something so he'd never have to cashier.

My real question is how to un-fix it so he'll have to be cashier trained.
Ck his status with hr. That should fix it. It be the paygrade.

Has anyone heard of a block on a team member number that won't allow the change in status to ring sales? I tried to change the status on this one guy's number and there is no option to ring sales. He said that years ago, an ETL did something so he'd never have to cashier.

My real question is how to un-fix it so he'll have to be cashier trained.

It goes by jobcode I believe. Pretty much every jobcode with the exception of AP can be register trained. There's no such thing as an ETL screwing with the access levels so a certain TM can't ring. That's hogwash. Just like the claims that a cashier can be given supervisor access if an ETL wants them to have it -- no. Corp sets that, not the stores.

Can I just say I love the fact that your handle is "No I in team" and your wrote this post?

Let me explain it for you. When I was hired I was given a choice of sales floor or flow. When I asked to have the job duties explained, the obvious one to me, that in my store, cashiering is not a part of flow. There have been many times when I have switched work centers ( meaning my tl changed part of my hrs for that day's shift) because I was asked usually by the Etl ge or tl ge to push priority pulls, do reshop or set adjacencys and zone tables. This is done only when truck is pushed and backstock is done, as this is my primary work center. I very much feel I am part of a team. I don't do pricing, in stocks, signing or cashiering because I am not trained in those areas.

I realize that all stores are not the same, but because (almost) everyone in my store is global, your post struck a chord. Everyone in my store does everything, perhaps some not as well as others. And not everyone is asked to do all tasks but we are all capable and willing.

If a flow guy told our STL or an ETL or a TL that cashiering wasn't in his job description, he would probably no longer have a job description.

I realize that all stores are not the same, but because (almost) everyone in my store is global, your post struck a chord. Everyone in my store does everything, perhaps some not as well as others. And not everyone is asked to do all tasks but we are all capable and willing.

If a flow guy told our STL or an ETL or a TL that cashiering wasn't in his job description, he would probably no longer have a job description.

Our flow is O/N, but one time a pricing TM was asked to the register because literally everyone else trained (except of course ETLs) minus the people who could not leave their work centers eg FRO, electronics, FA was on a register. All registers save for maybe 2 were open. Guests were still backed up and GSTL was running around with apology coupons like The Flash. BR would have helped but it was the 12s. Said TM told the LOD (who was the STL) that she's not coming up because she has "crap to do" and "you can call other people with less workload" and her job description became simply "Customer."

I know, right? My first Black Friday half of the registers in my SuperTarget were manned by flow team, most of whom spoke little to no English and whom I had to teach how to sell a REDCard. But we rocked it that night! Did they want to cashier? Hell, no, but they were willing to try it and ended up having fun. They felt like part of the team for a change, instead of those weird people who disappear at 8 AM.

Insubordination is an automatic CA.

When I first came onboard I had some TMS who said they don't do certain things - work downstairs, throw the truck, cardboard, bowl, pull/backstock the freezer or work PFresh.

First I did all of the above several times. SEVERAL TIMES!!! Then I had a huddle and flat out read core roles of ETL, TL, and Flow TM ( all overnight were considered Flow TMs). Then I ripped them up.

I level set my expectations and explained that we all have the same goal - unload the truck, stock the floor, backstock, clean our mess, and go the F home. Yes we cussed overnight. I explained we are a team and we must fill in when needed.

Some @ssholes asked if the women, especially the 4ft 80lb 60 year old had to throw the truck too. If not then they (20 year old, strong and healthy) aren't doing it. I said you personally tell her to throw the truck then explain to the STL why you feel an old B should do it and you can't.

Insubordination was a quick way to term. I also used shitty tasks as punishment for TMs saying they cant do something. Say no and you'll find yourself promoted to Guest in no time.
i guess i'm an asshole. job description asks you to carry certain weight, i expect you to do it. some people aren't supposed to be in certain positions. maybe if you're 4'11'' you shouldn't be having to carry 50 lbs. lets get you in a position that does. some time this isn't the right line for you.

Everyone who works @ Spot should be willing to back up the registers.

This ain't fricking WalMart!

We have some softlines tm's who don't (or won't) backup - they say it's because they don't understand English well enough. One of them will come up if it's during my shift - not that I speak Spanish - but she knows I am there instantly for her when she needs help. I also ask the cashiers who are on the registers next to her to help when she asks.
The other gsa and gstl's won't do that for her. Even the two who speak Spanish. They want the backups to be independent when they are on the registers. Some tm's find that hard and are overwhelmed by the register, so why not make them fell comfortable by helping.

I feel it's important for the gsa's and gstl's to be extra helpful to the backups. I thank each and every one for coming up to help us and I don't do it as a blanket statement over the walkie. That sounds silly if you ask me.
The gstl's ask why the backups always come up for me. I tell them that kindness gets a lot further than coachings.

@monkeyman90 - in theory that works but the 4'11 60 year old woman is a faster pusher than any of the guys who can unload a truck and doesn't complain. My laziest workers were young American men. They felt entitled. And hiring good Flow TMs that stay isn't easy, otherwise I'd have a team full of strong young people who don't complain and love working for peanuts.

But Kartman, we can't go there because the United States does not have a national language, though English is the language used for all or most legislation and government rulings.

We have some softlines tm's who don't (or won't) backup - they say it's because they don't understand English well enough. One of them will come up if it's during my shift - not that I speak Spanish - but she knows I am there instantly for her when she needs help. I also ask the cashiers who are on the registers next to her to help when she asks.
The other gsa and gstl's won't do that for her. Even the two who speak Spanish. They want the backups to be independent when they are on the registers. Some tm's find that hard and are overwhelmed by the register, so why not make them fell comfortable by helping.

I feel it's important for the gsa's and gstl's to be extra helpful to the backups. I thank each and every one for coming up to help us and I don't do it as a blanket statement over the walkie. That sounds silly if you ask me.
The gstl's ask why the backups always come up for me. I tell them that kindness gets a lot further than coachings.

Problem is, if I am asking people to come up for back up, then I need them to be at least a little independent, because if they are on back up, that means I am already on back up, so I'm not really available to help as much as I would like.

Retail girl - as long as she knows I am available it helps her. I'm usually running around from register to self check out putting out fires. Sometimes I feel like I'm spinning. I barely have a chance to be a back up

Good job, pink! My ladies at my store who speak Spanish know that I will help them out too on register or with guests.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back