Archived Team Member talked to about becoming Team Lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sadie

lydianmodeee
Hey guys, so I'm just a salesfloor TM. Today a team lead took me for an "off-stage" conversation to "connect" (gotta love the Targetspeak) and he said he and a few others were really impressed with my work and said they thought I could easily be a team lead if it's something I'd be interested in. I do have a few concerns/questions though... For starters I'm only 18, and I dunno, I guess I would feel weird being in charge of people five, ten, even twenty years older than me? I don't know if that's just an insecurity thing or what, but yeah. I mean, I like being in leadership positions, I'm good at taking charge and making decisions, it's just I feel like I'm still so young and have a lot to learn. Another thing, is the pay really that much better? I've heard team leads only make a few more dollars than sales floor members. On top of that my life is pretty busy and I have several other commitments, and from what I understand team lead position is a 40 hour position right? Is there an option to have less hours? I would definitely like expanding my role as I'm getting really bored and antsy, seeing all these problems that I know could be fixed but not having the authority to do so, but a part-time position is what I need.

Lastly, from my personal experience, I really hate the whole "manager" culture I've seen at Target. Haven't been here that long, but it seems like the higher up you go, atleast in my store, the faker it gets. I can't stand the gossip you see all the time with the ETLs, the weird team member-team lead relationship/favoritism that goes on, the hypocrisy, the cliques, the politically correct speak... I'm a blunt, tell it like it is person. Tactful, sure, but Target's lack of just... being real in communication really bothers me. I don't know if I want to enter that world. Meetings and BS reviews and ass-kissing all the right people... I guess that's the nice thing about being at the bottom. It ain't pretty, but atleast we don't have to all wear masks to pretend like it is.

Speaking from personal experience... everywhere you go you will find "manager" culture. From an age standpoint, yeah you are young, but that isn't uncommon in retail. Target is supposed to help mold you into a good manager, they should teach you how to direct people. Don't count on being friends with anyone you lead; at some point you may have to boss him/her around. Being promoted so soon looks damned good on a resume, if you ever plan on leaving Target.

The only point you made I would seriously reconsider is if you feel you are too busy outside of Target. Team Leads have a very hard job, especially right now with all the cutbacks that have been made with AE 14. You can always put off the promotion for awhile. Starting wage at my store for a Team Lead is thirteen an hour, that will depend on where you live.

Good luck in your decision!

After reading your post, IMO, I don't think you have to time to commit to a TL position. It is definitely a 40 hr position. Add in the bs and I don't think its worth it. For now, I would speak up about the great ideas you have. Obviously, mgmt knows you have the chops to do the job, but maybe you can get, if you don't already have, an outstanding review and get a little more money. Perhaps in the future timing will be better. Make a list of pros and cons. Be honest with yourself and you will have your answer.

If you change your mind with being part time, just a little advice. I was hired as a cashier, promoted to GSA, and now being developed to be a TL. Note that I had previous leadership experience in a previous job. I'm 18. The job itself to be honest is what you make of it. It can be fun, and it can be hell. If you have thick skin, the position looks and sounds good in your resume.

first, even if your team puts you on the track, shit outside your circumstances can screw you over. its easier to start at etl than be promoted to any position in target.

friends have been in positions they know a ton more making more than them, let alone in higher positions because of how they joined in.

ok actual being a team lead depends on your store structure. we've had tl positions get folded into other positions in cost cutting issues. we have etl's that pawn off things on non tl's cause they can.

there's a frustration if you've been there. you can accomplish certain tasks, so you should be able to ask nice people to do that right? i've done everything at target, so no one gives me shit. people will fuss about doing a little more than they're used to or not accomplishing tasks in a certain time. there's some positions you don't have someone watching over you. i had a trainer tell me, here's how you hide stuff so you don't have to deal with it.

i've been trying to get guest service in shape. they have passed some barrier of skill and still can't do it.

Don't worry about the age difference. A person's age doesn't determine their ability to lead. And you'll learn that not every one wants to be a leader. Plenty of people are content with their current role and see themselves in it for a very long time. Some will even complain about being in that position but don't want to step up into a management role. It's great to be recognized for leadership potential at a young age. You don't have to know everything to be a leader, you just have to know enough and willing to learn more so you can motivate people to work together and complete the tasks.

If you continue on the path to management and beyond you will always manage people who are several decades older than you. Look at your ETLs. Most went to college, are young, and are leading TMs who could be their parents. Their biggest qualification is a degree not necessarily experience. Some do really great while others are the worst managers ever. Some had it together since they were 16, others are still trying to get it together.

If you want to be a TL you'll have to commit. TL is a full-time position.

I don't know if I want to enter that world. Meetings and BS reviews and ass-kissing all the right people... I guess that's the nice thing about being at the bottom. It ain't pretty, but atleast we don't have to all wear masks to pretend like it is.

There are ways to avoid this world: 1) become an entrepreneur, invent something, and pave your own way 2) work for a small firm/group who share similar values 3) stay at the bottom.

Kissing the right @ss is a game that is played in several companies and organizations around the world. It even goes on in our military branches. Want a promotion? Make yourself known. You could be the hardest worker but that means nothing if you don't get your name out there to the right people.

Kissing the right @ss is a game that is played in several companies and organizations around the world. It even goes on in our military branches. Want a promotion? Make yourself known. You could be the hardest worker but that means nothing if you don't get your name out there to the right people.

Can't emphasize this enough. Target managers are too busy nowadays to notice stellar employees who don't pine for recognition. Sad, but true. They will sooner reward that squeaky wheel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back