Archived Team Members leading the Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deli Ninja

Formerly Softlines Ninja (Now in Deli Flavor)!
In my store, it's common for regular (experienced) Team Members in SL to construct zone lists and direct the zone. After reading the "levels" thread, I'm now curious. Is it common in other stores for TMs to be in charge of other TMs? We often don't have a SLTL or brand TM closing in softlines and the LoD often is the type that wouldn't touch SL with a 10-foot pole.

It annoys and frustrates me when I am the most senior TM with no brand TM or TL scheduled in softlines. I'll lead, but I don't like it. At all. When things go bad on such a night, my mantra is often, "Well, maybe someone should have scheduled a SLTL or brand TM."

The LoD comes to me most closing shifts and usually asks for me on who should go be assigned to which department. It's pretty common at my store, and I understand your frustration.

Logistics at my store has some self appointed team member leader types. My backroom I have 3 people that run things when I am not there and the team is under the understanding they are in charge. Most of them are people that want to move up and this is the best way to get them going with leading and helps them with the interview questions. Some of them are just people we trust to be eyes and ears for us since we cannot be everywhere all the time. Obviously they don't have TL powers so they generally fill us in on issues and we either talk them thru it if its something they could've handled or we deal with it.

Happens a lot at my store if there is no closing team lead. They'll assign a "point person" or two. The TLs in earlier in the day will assign a zone schedule and will usually chat with the point person before they leave, if paths cross. Not too bad, just check on zones throughout the night, remind about getting reshop, that sort of stuff.

I had to do that few times when the FATLs were transfer to other areas or quit/terminated. And whenever Hardlines was without a closing TL.

I wouldn't call it leading a team. I close hardlines a lot so ETLs just have me assign a zone section for the 2nd closing HL team member. They also have me schedule
meals and breaks with the electronics TM. I have to make sure both TMs are working on their reshop and not falling behind on zone.

Since we're short on hardlines leadership right now, my store has been doing this sometimes. If we're without a TL and the LOD is an ETL from another area, they'll assign a trusted TM to break down zones for the team, make the break schedule, and follow up with the LOD on zones, re-shop, and CAFs.

I run things in the backroom frequently even when my TL is there but I make it a point not to step on his toes. Having been a former TL as well as having by far the most experience with the dayside backroom, I'm treated as a TL by most of the store anyways.

We just kinda come together and decide what we'll do based on our best areas. Or sometimes, the person who's gonna be there last will give suggestions because often only one person is actually scheduled until close and other people leave at 9 or 10. It's never really "leading." More like a "hey, I'm closing and I can probably get x, y and z done in that time, and I know you're good at a b c..."

A lot of the times, our TL will tell a closing hardline TL or whoever's around when they leave what they want the closing team to do.

Since we're short on hardlines leadership right now, my store has been doing this sometimes. If we're without a TL and the LOD is an ETL from another area, they'll assign a trusted TM to break down zones for the team, make the break schedule, and follow up with the LOD on zones, re-shop, and CAFs.
We call it Zone Captain. It was supposed to be something all TMs would take turns doing. It started when we changed our closing zone to, "wave zone."
It's just a couple of TMs now & we write the breakout, assign TMs to do reshop, CAFs, and zone. The responsibility level depends on the person. If I do it I keep the LOD updated on our progress, make sure TMs take their breaks & meals on time & no one gets a meal violation. I also walk the areas at the end of the night when we do touch ups. Most of the LODs trust me to check the zone. Lately I'm also checking FF every half hour.

At my store we have our "ad captain", who is not a TL, and the day-to-day stuff for price accuracy is handled by the most experienced TM so our TL can focus on plano.

We have this at my store but its the worst position to have. Basically no pay raise and all the work a tl should do plus most seasoned team members do not listen or do it there own way. Had a lot of people quit because of this "position" because of the stress and headache dealing with unruly team members. Got one on our pog team that i dont listen too because basically im signing we really dont need any direction.

Nothing against her just really cant listen to someone who does know what is going on ya know.

As I mentioned before, I was a FATM regularly taking on the FATL duties whenever the position opened up. I was always making the orders, scheduling weekly cleaning projects, calling for maintenance requests, and doing major projects.

As a store TM I was TL for plano when the TL wasn't there (once a week, scheduled that way), used to be called the plano bitch. Happens on the DC side as well, but it's more for special projects, but even then it's not like there isn't a GL (ETL) overhead for the TM leading the project to report to.

I think it's a great opportunity and am glad it happens, so long as it's not being abused.

Back when I was on Hardlines, I was "in charge" of the team at least 3 times a week, (if not more) not counting Sunday morning ad set, despite being only a TM.

I'm a PA and have pretty much become the new CTL.

I'm usually the only one on, so I never really get to lead a team. Sadface

#lonelyinPFresh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back