Archived "Terminated" from seasonal position?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My ETL-HR called me yesterday and left a voicemail saying they had decided to terminate my services with them. I was a seasonal hire and was not expecting to be kept on. But her use of the word "terminated" made me curious, so I called back to talk to her. She said that due to my attendance they were terminating me and I would not be rehirable for 5 years. I missed 4 days, 3 of which I had a dr's note for, the other being a family emergency. It all just seemed a little excessive. Is this normal?

Terminated instead of just let go at the end of your your seasonal time.
That does seem a little ridiculous.
Sounds like someone is on a power trip.
Though 4 days in 3 weeks would be a bit annoying.

Four days in three weeks is a lot..."valid excuse" or not. And you didn't mention if you were ever late on the days you were there. It sounds like they felt they couldn't count on you to be there and decided to give the rest of your shifts to someone who will.

Not rehirable for five years? That seems a bit over the top.

Never heard the 5year term being used before. Usually you TMs can't apply for another 90days after leaving employment. And then the non-rehire status usually only lasts 2 years.

Like I said, I wasn't expecting to be kept on after my seasonal period was over, due to my absences. I understand that retail needs people who can be there every day they are supposed to, regardless if they do have "valid" reasons like stomach flu or if their father has a stroke.
I was never late, not for the beginning of my shift or returning from breaks or lunches. I was never rude or unprofessional to them. I considered it very rude and unprofessional to be terminated on a voicemail.
It's just the 5 yr thing that really gets me. After this experience I'm not sure I'd even want to work there again, but it still seems unjust.

This happened to one of the seasonal flow TM's last month because he had one no call no show. I've never missed a day but I did was an hour late once because it was Christmas night, wasn't even scheduled to come in but asked if I could so I'm hoping this won't ruin my chances of staying on after January. I think I've added 5-10 days and stayed for double shifts 90% of the time.

You would have been "termed" at our store for the absences however never over the phone. We at least do it face-to-face - also you get paid 3-4 hours for the day you get fired - whether you worked it or not. Sorry about the termination - it's just Target. Some people get on a power trip - but hey - it's their first job out of college and people call them a manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back