Thanksgiving 2020 and our "heroes"

In ye olde days, before Spot was open on Thanksgiving night, the stores would ask for volunteers to come in on Thanksgiving morning to set doorbusters and signage. There were usually enough people (regular and seasonal) who wanted time and a half to meet the number estimated. If there weren't, management would go around and ask TMs if they could come in and work. Most seasonals are there to make as much as they can before Christmas, so they were the majority of those working. Also, when there was overnight flow teams, we unloaded trucks Wednesday night into Thanksgiving morning, and Thanksgiving night into Black Friday morning. Could still eat Thanksgiving dinner with the family in those days and with those hours.

Because of what my father did (won't say because it for sure will out me), I'm used to celebrating on different days/having lunch instead of dinner/blah blah, so working that day doesn't bother me that much. Cyber Monday is far worse, IMO.

That said, I think since Walmart has announced, Target will likely follow suit.

I wish they would open 7pm or 8pm until midnight and then open up again at 6am with new door busters. I hated the old days when Target opened up at 2am (no holiday pay).

Starting in the evening allows everyone, team member and guest to enjoy a Thanksgiving dinner and those that don't want to sit around and watch football can come out for a fun night of shopping and team members get time and a half. Closing from midnight or 1 am if you really feel the need, and then opening again allows for a reset with new door busters and new excitement.

This pretty much, it'd be bad PR for them to be open and cramming stores with as much people as humanly possible if/when a second wave of Covid hits. Just like how it'd be bad PR to not say something about being open and praising their workers for working through the crisis. They don't care about you, they care about how they look. How it reflects on the company. Thanksgiving 2021 if everything is clear of the virus, you betcha they'll be open 6pm Thanksgiving again or maybe earlier like at 3pm. Never forget they're just another corp that values maximizing their money while crapping on the everyday people who got them there. You're just numbers and data for why stores are either getting things done or aren't to them.

But better than corporations like Walmart, Amazon, Tesla, FedEx, etc.

Considering they like good press, it’s very possible they’ll follow Wally’s lead on this. Fulfillment and probably all of management will have to go int to work to fulfill orders and get the store ready for BF.

So in regards to Thanksgiving Target will either follow suit and close because of the optics OR they will open anyway and get the sales that Walmart is forgoing.

If you were a betting person, what do you think will happen?
We will be open. There’s a WalMart down the street from my store and they closed way earlier than us and my SD was quite happy to get the WalMart clientele at spot.

Back