Archived The Big & Dandy Backroom thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a backroom team member say to me today "you will have to show me how to back stock, I don't know how to do that" and I reply with my usual "yep".

The MC9200s, at least at my store, have gotten a lot better at not randomly spewing out letters and numbers. And by that I mean that it's completely stopped spewing out randoms.

I had a piece of crap PDA yesterday when I went back to backstock. So slow, freezing up had to reboot twice. I saw my ETL standing in the open doorway of receiving and told him to duck because I was going to throw my fn PDA into the parking lot. He laughed and said new devices, in my store, will be rolled out next week, freeing up more equipment for flow. Many times flow is asked to bs but we have no working equipment. I can't wait. Merry Christmas to me. It's the little things that make me happy!

I pulled up Redwire on a 9200 and there's no scroll bar! 9090 has a scroll bar.

I hate shifts that start any time after 6am because all of the PDAs and walkies will be gone. At least the ones that work well. When I'm scheduled at 9am I usually spend the first half hour just looking for equipment and keys. No one ever signs out anything so I usually just find someone with a walkie, "LOD come in...LOD come in...LOD come in", "Go for LOD", "Yeah I need a PDA", "Can anyone give up a PDA for a backroom team member?" Silence...This goes on for a while.

I hate shifts that start any time after 6am because all of the PDAs and walkies will be gone. At least the ones that work well. When I'm scheduled at 9am I usually spend the first half hour just looking for equipment and keys. No one ever signs out anything so I usually just find someone with a walkie, "LOD come in...LOD come in...LOD come in", "Go for LOD", "Yeah I need a PDA", "Can anyone give up a PDA for a backroom team member?" Silence...This goes on for a while.

My ETL recently rolled the 6am shift back to 7. Now I just clock in and wait for the LOD to let a GSA into 3239.. 90% of the time, there's multiples hiding in there.

Dropping manuals. Can someone explain to me what this does? I understand it creates a CAF, either ad specific or all product, but why is it different from a CAF?

What purpose does it serve that isn't fulfilled by the hourly CAFs or the autofills?

Manual cafs are different in the fact that you manually enter the fill group ( you wish to create the batch for)...they are not generated automatically by the systems like the Autofills are. Manual cafs usually are used to help lessen the Auto fills size and or to fill the floor before the next group of Autofill batches drop..or before they start to drop.. Ie On Black Friday, you almost always want to manually caf, Toy1,2 and 3, plug, elect, etc. ..to replenish the floor asap.,...when you are done pulling the manual cafs you created then you just repeat the process. Some stores will print a sheet and tell you what time to Caf certain fill groups .

Manuals pull to 100% fill the group. CAFs fill at a certain % sold. Morning autos pull at a different % than CAFs (I think). To replenish every single item sold in a fill group, drop a manual. Does it work perfectly? No but it does make a difference. We use it in PFresh all the time.

Thanks guys. Our plan is to drop manuals Wednesday night after the CAFs finish so that the autofills are close to nothing at midnight. My TL is freaking out because we haven't dropped any yet, she's afraid they are going to be huge. They dropped them one time for Easter without dropping any earlier in the week and the chem batch was like two hours and filled 7 carts.

Beware of dropping manuals for HBA. They will be massive. Seriously.

If a in-stocks vet is around they could shoot a stand alone outs batch, when it calms down. We have done that, works but care is needed to not get a stupid large batch.

And Jack, I do ask when I back stock since I don't do it everyday if anything has changed in the last couple of weeks. Sometimes a process does change.. But the basic "STO" and scan the label and count how many, I know how to do that.

How do you drop a manual? I've only ever done it once and it was last Black Friday and I can't remember what to key in.

We will have two TMs in the backroom tomorrow night, one veteran and one on their first week. I'll be there to help out for a little bit. I was going to drop all the electronics ones this morning, but without knowing if I should, I didn't.

Glad I didn't, reading that it will pull Dcode...I imagine the security batch will pull all the discontinued games?

We change the time of the autofill and make it drop every hour. I guess that's less to pull in each fillgroup, but more fillgroups than just doing TOY and PLUG or whatever. Anyone else do this?

We will have two TMs in the backroom tomorrow night, one veteran and one on their first week. I'll be there to help out for a little bit. I was going to drop all the electronics ones this morning, but without knowing if I should, I didn't.

Glad I didn't, reading that it will pull Dcode...I imagine the security batch will pull all the discontinued games?
Unless they fixed that since two years ago yes. I dropped them in electronics two bf's ago and got every movie and game that we had that was dcode.

We change the time of the autofill and make it drop every hour. I guess that's less to pull in each fillgroup, but more fillgroups than just doing TOY and PLUG or whatever. Anyone else do this?

I find it less efficient. You spend more time traveling between different aisles every hour, more time fetching/staging carts, and you end up pulling the same items much more frequently. Instead of a larger toy pull, the floor is now working multiple carts of toys/sporting goods/luggage pulls from each hour and spend more time walking among those aisles.

Take PAPR, a lot of the bulk stuff has a shelf capacity of around 8-12 but ours triggers every time it sells ONE. We pull a lot of quantities of 1-2 every hour to top it off on the floor. If PAPR only dropped ever 2 hours or so, the shelf would still have product on the floor but we would only be pulling it half as often.

I really really miss having a pull schedule of 1, 3, 5.

Do all stores do hourlys? It's such a massive waste of time, especially because our store is smaller. A 1, 3, 5 schedule would let us continually backstock for an hour and we could just double up on the cafs that next hour. Most of the time I just leave the vehicle there because it doesn't get worked in that hour and we end up wasting time walking across the store to add 3 things to the vehicle that's sitting on the line.

This time of year, each CAF is taking all hour, every hour (when you account for guest requests, FFs, and the odd break every now and then). Going to 1, 3, 5 would make no difference for my store, I think. We just need more people :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back