Archived The Big & Dandy Backroom thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't care if this gives me away.

As I mentioned in another thread our store is doing pull segmentation. This means no CAFs for BR and drastically limits the amount of work we actually have to do. Because our STL is a moron and treats our employees like we are children, he has decided on a new way to make sure BR TMs are keeping busy, rather than you know paying attention. The closing BR TM must log how much backstock there is at 4:30 and then how much backstock is left when he/she leaves. You also must log how many pulls you do and number of FFs. This really angers me and I have to close with him next week. Nothing I hate more than micromanaging and he has managed to take it to a new level.

I don't care if this gives me away.

As I mentioned in another thread our store is doing pull segmentation. This means no CAFs for BR and drastically limits the amount of work we actually have to do. Because our STL is a moron and treats our employees like we are children, he has decided on a new way to make sure BR TMs are keeping busy, rather than you know paying attention. The closing BR TM must log how much backstock there is at 4:30 and then how much backstock is left when he/she leaves. You also must log how many pulls you do and number of FFs. This really angers me and I have to close with him next week. Nothing I hate more than micromanaging and he has managed to take it to a new level.

Serious-face-40226573772_xlarge.jpeg

>pull segmentation
>no CAFs
>log backstock
>log FF
>log pulls
>3/5 already generate reports that leadership can read in workbench
>mfw when I read this next level asshat-tary

Hey I have a question. In my backroom, a little over half of softlines backstock doesn't ask for a quantity. So when we are doing CAFs, research, etc, it either asks more than is located or the annoying "Did you pull all from location"
Is there a way to change it to backstock quantities? My team lead and I discussed how it could possibly improve our accuracy, but no one in the store seems to know how to fix it.

Btw what are your average errors in a week. My store is always in the 500s or 600s, but have a goal to get under 200. I feel it is impossible with the current team members at my store. :-/ lol

You can't change it. Quantities will not help with accuracy. If anything, keeping track of quantities in the backroom has only served to negatively impact location accuracy and slow down backstocking. Until the infamous summer '10 (maybe summer '11) casepack logic rollout that destroyed logistics across the company, all backstock was no quantity. Everytime you pulled aDPCI from the backroom, you had to say y or n for whether you pulled all from the location unless you keyed less than the system requested. Most errors we have today due to wrong quantities were self correcting back in the day when logistics was a bit simpler.

Oh man I have a rant coming.

The backroom seems perfect for me. I tend to like working alone, don't like dealing with guests very frequently, and enjoy the task based work that dominates the backroom.

Or so I thought.

I don't know if it's because my TL keeps throwing me closing shifts, if I'm just getting burned out (which is hard for me to d0), or mad about my lack of hours but I was about to go insane on my shift today. I'm tired of doing the same old thing of pulling CAFs for 2 hours, setting the line, taking care of cardboard, and backstocking the rest of the night. It's boring, it's repetitive, and at night, it's damn miserable. When I had a flex fulfillment throw me on the floor, it was like a breath of fresh air. I'm sick of being alone, and even on the infrequent times I get a day shift, having only 1 other person in the BR doesn't help me get over the loneliness of the backroom. I just kept staring at the clock.

I don't ever see my TL. She works the flow team, and is long gone by the time I arrive. Why don't we have a dayside BR TL? Whenever that survey comes you can bet I'm suggesting that.

A day or two ago I opened in the backroom my first time and it was relatively good. It was different, (although boring as I pretty much waited for instocks to finish their scans) and there were ton's of people back there (thanks flow!)

I was sales floor that got cross trained in BR. The backroom was fun at first as I tried to learn the ins and outs of it and try ever so hard to complete the CAFs on time. A BR TM got the axe, my hours changed to be entirely in the BR and I asked my ETL why I'm not getting my extra 50 cents an hour. Well now I am (between the $9 bump and the paygrade increase, my pay increased by nearly $2). That was a mistake because before I was a Sales Floor TM that did occasional BR work where needed. Now I'm a BR TM that does zero sales floor work.

Worst of all, I thought I was replacing a BR TM (We had another join AP). Instead we hire 2 new BR TMs so now there's more of us than before and it seems hours have went down as a result.

I'm seriously considering asking my ETL to be transferred back to the floor and doing BR less. Plus, I would think it would help with my development (trying to become a TL). Can't really develop much working alone. I asked to be cross trained in electronics (since I enjoy working there when I covered breaks) and price change. I got denied both and instead got offered instocks.

This post is a disjointed mess but I'm not sure what to do right now.

Last edited:

The backroom seems perfect for me. I tend to like working alone, don't like dealing with guests very frequently, and enjoy the task based work that dominates the backroom.

Or so I thought.

I don't know if it's because my TL keeps throwing me closing shifts, if I'm just getting burned out (which is hard for me to d0), or mad about my lack of hours but I was about to go insane on my shift today. I'm tired of doing the same old thing of pulling CAFs for 2 hours, setting the line, taking care of cardboard, and backstocking the rest of the night. It's boring, it's repetitive, and at night, it's damn miserable. When I had a flex fulfillment throw me on the floor, it was like a breath of fresh air. I'm sick of being alone, and even on the infrequent times I get a day shift, having only 1 other person in the BR doesn't help me get over the loneliness of the backroom. I just kept staring at the clock.

I don't ever see my TL. She works the flow team, and is long gone by the time I arrive. Why don't we have a dayside BR TL? Whenever that survey comes you can bet I'm suggesting that.

A day or two ago I opened in the backroom my first time and it was relatively good. It was different, (although boring as I pretty much waited for instocks to finish their scans) and there were ton's of people back there (thanks flow!)

I was sales floor that got cross trained in BR. The backroom was fun at first as I tried to learn the ins and outs of it and try ever so hard to complete the CAFs on time. A BR TM got the axe, my hours changed to be entirely in the BR and I asked my ETL why I'm not getting my extra 50 cents an hour. Well now I am (between the $9 bump and the paygrade increase, my pay increased by nearly $2). That was a mistake because before I was a Sales Floor TM that did occasional BR work where needed. Now I'm a BR TM that does zero sales floor work.

Worst of all, I thought I was replacing a BR TM (We had another join AP). Instead we hire 2 new BR TMs so now there's more of us than before and it seems hours have went down as a result.

I'm seriously considering asking my ETL to be transferred back to the floor and doing BR less. Plus, I would think it would help with my development (trying to become a TL). Can't really develop much working alone. I asked to be cross trained in electronics (since I enjoy working there when I covered breaks) and price change. I got denied both and instead got offered instocks.

You sound just like me. I worked hardlines for 3 years and was always "training to become TL." I was cross trained in just about every department, set salesplanners, did ad takedown, lead the recovery shifts when a closing TL wasn't present, the list goes on and on. Then one fourth quarter I was helping backroom so they weren't rolling over the CAFs and eventually was asked by the BR TL to come to backroom. It didn't seem like I was moving anywhere in the company, I needed a change and the small pay raise sounded nice, so decided to do it since she stated it would still develop me into TL material as I'd be learning more skill sets, etc (although I didn't believe it.)

After a year and a half back there I can tell, there's no development going on. So now stuck again with no road ahead of me in target.

I remember being hesitant because my store leaders said I wouldn't be able to go back to hardlines since I accepted a raise. In the history of my store, one person has been able to step down, so that could vary store to store. The electronics TL would welcome me to her team without question, but I like the peace and quiet in the backroom now and do not want to deal with attachments and redcards. But that would be one suggestion from me, is for you to try again for it since it is the same paygrade.

Two and a half years in target, my ETL was telling me to try electronics or GSA to get the team lead training. So although GSA would be a complete different work center, it's another position to give you experience towards TL. The current Market TL in my store started as backroom, then moved to PA and then became Market TL after that. PA might not be what you're interested in, but another option to take towards team lead, although positions don't open that much.

I hope to find something new soon, because having a Bachelor's degree I should be making progress but and stuck in a rut.

Yeah, I have days when I get tired of it, but then I get asked to work sales floor and I remember how much I hate that. The log doesn't sound so bad to me. Then they could actually see how much shit I do every night. Price change would have to be on there too. If not, I could just print the report from RWT.

Or so I thought.

I hear you, sometimes the backroom can be as boring as watching paint dry. To combat this I usually try and break off and do projects. Some of these projects that I do tend to dip into my back stocking time, but in my store my TL, ETL, and STL really appreciate what I do. For instance I'll make aisles low and productive, pull and push bulk pallets, namely paper/pets, relocate bulk, short date dry goods, combine multiple locs.... Those kind of things. The best advice I can give you is that if you try these and point out what projects you did to your TL/ETL/STL they might consider that your ready for more responsibility and who knows TL might be around the corner. Of course all of this hinges on the fact that your LODS care and trust you in my opinion. Best of luck to ya

You sound just like me. I worked hardlines for 3 years and was always "training to become TL." I was cross trained in just about every department, set salesplanners, did ad takedown, lead the recovery shifts when a closing TL wasn't present, the list goes on and on. Then one fourth quarter I was helping backroom so they weren't rolling over the CAFs and eventually was asked by the BR TL to come to backroom. It didn't seem like I was moving anywhere in the company, I needed a change and the small pay raise sounded nice, so decided to do it since she stated it would still develop me into TL material as I'd be learning more skill sets, etc (although I didn't believe it.)

After a year and a half back there I can tell, there's no development going on. So now stuck again with no road ahead of me in target.

I remember being hesitant because my store leaders said I wouldn't be able to go back to hardlines since I accepted a raise. In the history of my store, one person has been able to step down, so that could vary store to store. The electronics TL would welcome me to her team without question, but I like the peace and quiet in the backroom now and do not want to deal with attachments and redcards. But that would be one suggestion from me, is for you to try again for it since it is the same paygrade.

Two and a half years in target, my ETL was telling me to try electronics or GSA to get the team lead training. So although GSA would be a complete different work center, it's another position to give you experience towards TL. The current Market TL in my store started as backroom, then moved to PA and then became Market TL after that. PA might not be what you're interested in, but another option to take towards team lead, although positions don't open that much.

I hope to find something new soon, because having a Bachelor's degree I should be making progress but and stuck in a rut.

I'm also in the bachelor's degree club and can't manage to find a career yet. I had hopes of climbing the ladder, being the few that could climb the ranks from TM->TL->ETL. I'm losing hope in that.

I think we have like 5 PA's already. The GSA role is probobly the best because it gives you leadership experience and dealing with guests. It just seems stressful as hell, and admittedly I'm not the best at vibing with guests.

I may just ride this out and if cross training in instocks doesn't lead to something, I may just request to go back to the floor again.

Any other closers forced to backstock in the freezer by yourself? Early morning backstocks everything but frozen and then I'm expected to stay in there for 2 hours straight. Don't think it's fair.

Any other closers forced to backstock in the freezer by yourself? Early morning backstocks everything but frozen and then I'm expected to stay in there for 2 hours straight. Don't think it's fair.
Yup, that happens a lot. Same as cardboard. A whole team is there to deal with it in the morning, but hey, why not just dump it on the lone closer?

Been a few weeks since my last post. I just hope no one from my store is reading this, lol. Consider this a slight vent.

It's important not to miss any Flexible Fullfillment orders. Last few months, struggle to stay on top of daily routines, due to overloaded workload or lack of resources.

In the backroom, only 3 dayside tms were scheduled in the 15 hour block before overnight arrives. The BR TL is on a small leave right now. ETL-HR/LoD cut the opener who was scheduled for 6.5 hours. I'm scheduled as the mid, coming in 3 hours after the store opens. What I found? 3 missed FAs, 10 Research, 7 Outs batches (ex. POGs). Our store had some help from other stores to get our salesfloor back into order. Some of them had some backroom experience, but only pulled 6 previous batches. They didn't take care of the rest of their workload. At this point, schedule CAFs are just dropping. So for the next few hours, I manage to take care of the CAFs throughout the day. Any down time I had, I took care of the those missed research, but no OUTs batches. I barely had time to backstock properly. Where was my LoD's presence and support? As I finished my couple hour shift, the (2nd person) closer arrives.

Make sure not to miss the FAs, they said. Get the pulls to the line, they said. Where did these pulls come from, they said. Who's going to work these pulls, they said.

I like my store, but sometimes the lack of common sense baffles me.

When I used to close a lot, I made sure to backstock the main, grocery, frozen and dairy side. I was proficient in completing those tasks. When it came to frozen and dairy, not a lot of people like going in there. Even with the proper supplies, they chicken out. At my store, the FDC team (unfortunately) takes care of the truck frieght, pulls and backstock from all workloads in that center.

If you're the only one that usually backstocks in those areas, talk to your BRTL, ETL-LoG and LoD about giving some proper assistance. That is just bs.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I love when I come in at 4 and bring the 4 o clock pull to the line and tell them they have 5 pulls and they ask where all theses pulls came from. I just got here!

On days when the shit hits the fan in the backroom as soon as I come in and do a quick walk through of the backroom, if it's more than I know I'm gonna be able to accomplish in my shift, I contact the LOD and ask them what they think I should focus on. I mean I know what needs to be done and in what order but I like to see what they say. Lol then about halfway through my shift I usually give them a heads up. At the end of my shift most of the time I walk the backroom with them an show them what's left. This more or less makes the LOD own it instead of it being out of sight out of mind.

Yeah, I was told to backstock the freezer last night -and there was a pallet full of hamburgers. I knew the burgers had to be for BTS because we're GM. I asked the lod about them and he said to backstock them so that was an easy 10 minutes.

Been a few weeks since my last post. I just hope no one from my store is reading this, lol. Consider this a slight vent.

It's important not to miss any Flexible Fullfillment orders. Last few months, struggle to stay on top of daily routines, due to overloaded workload or lack of resources.

In the backroom, only 3 dayside tms were scheduled in the 15 hour block before overnight arrives. The BR TL is on a small leave right now. ETL-HR/LoD cut the opener who was scheduled for 6.5 hours. I'm scheduled as the mid, coming in 3 hours after the store opens. What I found? 3 missed FAs, 10 Research, 7 Outs batches (ex. POGs). Our store had some help from other stores to get our salesfloor back into order. Some of them had some backroom experience, but only pulled 6 previous batches. They didn't take care of the rest of their workload. At this point, schedule CAFs are just dropping. So for the next few hours, I manage to take care of the CAFs throughout the day. Any down time I had, I took care of the those missed research, but no OUTs batches. I barely had time to backstock properly. Where was my LoD's presence and support? As I finished my couple hour shift, the (2nd person) closer arrives.

Make sure not to miss the FAs, they said. Get the pulls to the line, they said. Where did these pulls come from, they said. Who's going to work these pulls, they said.

I like my store, but sometimes the lack of common sense baffles me.

When I used to close a lot, I made sure to backstock the main, grocery, frozen and dairy side. I was proficient in completing those tasks. When it came to frozen and dairy, not a lot of people like going in there. Even with the proper supplies, they chicken out. At my store, the FDC team (unfortunately) takes care of the truck frieght, pulls and backstock from all workloads in that center.

If you're the only one that usually backstocks in those areas, talk to your BRTL, ETL-LoG and LoD about giving some proper assistance. That is just bs.

I will say if you get that deep in the weeds if any of the In-Stock team can pull ask for their help.. Sure it sucks that we have to break off someone from scanning but we get our batches and it gives you some breathing room. But your ETL is an idiot for cutting an opener.

Yeah, I was told to backstock the freezer last night -and there was a pallet full of hamburgers. I knew the burgers had to be for BTS because we're GM. I asked the lod about them and he said to backstock them so that was an easy 10 minutes.

I'm at a Super, when it comes to meat, we roll their stuff in their department. Each of the 3 departments have set temperatures which must be obeyed. I just hope those meat doesn't cause any problems for your CAF pulls.

I will say if you get that deep in the weeds if any of the In-Stock team can pull ask for their help.. Sure it sucks that we have to break off someone from scanning but we get our batches and it gives you some breathing room. But your ETL is an idiot for cutting an opener.

If only if that worked in my behalf. Instocks was scheduled for 2 people. One of them got cut as well. The one still there had to work strays, Told to stop scanning early on. I don't know what other projects, LoD had that person doing. Kept communication minimal with me. Nowadays, the salesfloor team is lucky to have more then 3+ people in all departments (including the TL). My team is usually good, under normal circumstances.

When I read about other ETLs in other stores, sometimes I think I'm lucky to have mine, even when I don't always agree with them.

At least today went well, managed to knock out our main priorities. I can finally sleep comfortably tonight. LOL.

That's kind of how I feel about BR/BR day (closer). It's nice not having to worry about setting up the line/clearing flats/cleaning up receiving, but it's so much backstock. At night it's nice to work by yourself and it's a lot calmer.
Cleaning up receiving? You actually have some one, besides the receiver, that does something in receiving?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back