Archived The Big & Dandy Backroom thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got a new BR TL.

Somehow he's more annoying than when he was on the sales floor but at least he pulls my research when I ask

Alllllllllyright then about "standards" is anyone else having an hrs vs reality battle with leadership? They say I'm getting cut 100 hours due to "standards" yet want backroom clean/ coolers&freezers backstocked/ flex 100%/ softlines pulls done/ research/CAFS/ random batches dropped that we have to pull/ audits/ empty locs/decode/branding and a mutha fuggin smile while doing it! Is anyone else being asked to pull a rabbit out their ass cause I'm think that's easier than the above list. I'm an A volume 4 am process space restrained multiple container having backroom that is supposed to function on 238 hrs a week...thoughts on what others get hours wise cause and suggestions on how to resolve it besides drinking g and cursing like a sailor

Look at your workloads every day versus what's scheduled. Sometimes it's the process, sometimes it's the personnel, sometimes you just don't have the hours. But if you're gonna come at your ETL/STL with these complaints, you better have some numbers ready and a strong team to enforce your battle.

Look at your workloads every day versus what's scheduled. Sometimes it's the process, sometimes it's the personnel, sometimes you just don't have the hours. But if you're gonna come at your ETL/STL with these complaints, you better have some numbers ready and a strong team to enforce your battle.
My main issue is our flow process is pushing until 2pm and if not complete it rolls to the next day. Backstocking per numbers should be complete by 10:30am average daily. Not possible when other process isn't complete by then. 2ndly there will be no over laps and no shifts longer than 4 hours yet now we struggle with support for Flex and CAFS...3+ hr pulls you can't tell someone you have to do it in 2 hours.

My main issue is our flow process is pushing until 2pm and if not complete it rolls to the next day. Backstocking per numbers should be complete by 10:30am average daily. Not possible when other process isn't complete by then. 2ndly there will be no over laps and no shifts longer than 4 hours yet now we struggle with support for Flex and CAFS...3+ hr pulls you can't tell someone you have to do it in 2 hours.

Go Faster obviously.....Just have to work harder :rolleyes:

Your process is broken, then. Gotta work with your Flow TL and ETL to figure out what's going wrong and fix it. What's the reasoning for arbitrary requirements like no shifts longer than 4 hours and no overlap? I can see short shifts for flow but not sure why doing that for BR is helpful.

Your process is broken, then. Gotta work with your Flow TL and ETL to figure out what's going wrong and fix it. What's the reasoning for arbitrary requirements like no shifts longer than 4 hours and no overlap? I can see short shifts for flow but not sure why doing that for BR is helpful.
Agree completely that's its broken...it's been for over a year. Its just now that they want to implement"standards" and say my team can't finish due to the team...I'm pushing back because of the flow process being the way it is and it's me vs them since my ETL is LOA and my peer quit on the spot. I'm feeling the love right about now lol

So you have to run flow too? Priority should be flow process. Check the goal times per department, see what's heavy and what's light and move people around. Also helps to see who is slowing down the process and where people are wasting steps.

Our process is broken too. A lot of what I'm doing is managing out my own team while challenging my Flow TL to get the truck done ASAP. It doesn't matter if backroom finishes all backstock by 10:30 if more and more is just going to trickle in until they leave.

Anyone gonna chime in with how many hours their backroom gets?
Mid 200s normally here. B-volume, 6am store. It puts most TMs at or close to 40 hours.

When we have extra trucks (been getting 6-7 per week recently), we get more hours allocated and flow TMs stay after truck to help backstock.

Getting your trucks pushed in 4-5 hours is definitely key here. Having the autofills pulled by the time the unload is finished is also helpful.

So you have to run flow too? Priority should be flow process. Check the goal times per department, see what's heavy and what's light and move people around. Also helps to see who is slowing down the process and where people are wasting steps.

Our process is broken too. A lot of what I'm doing is managing out my own team while challenging my Flow TL to get the truck done ASAP. It doesn't matter if backroom finishes all backstock by 10:30 if more and more is just going to trickle in until they leave.
Have been for 2 weeks and problem is 80% of team I've coached for no sense of urgency and too many steps. Process has improved but my backroom team still has too much challenge coming back from truck. I've broke it down to them by time expectations and get the deer in headlights look. Sad thing is most of these TM's have been with Target for years and got used to milking the clock and being lazy. Hands full but progress is being made. Just frustrated at the time it takes to make changes.

I don't see how they can blame you then if you're sending e-mails on the counselings and getting the CCAs written. It sucks the culture has been so bad, but if you're meant to run flow too but slotted for a Flow TL, it's probably a bit much to expect you to be replenishment TL without proper support...

I don't see how they can blame you then if you're sending e-mails on the counselings and getting the CCAs written. It sucks the culture has been so bad, but if you're meant to run flow too but slotted for a Flow TL, it's probably a bit much to expect you to be replenishment TL without proper support...
My store has been doing that for a while. Flow TL quits, so they get the BRTL to cover, then they hire a new BRTL. Flow TL gets fed up and quits, and the cycle continues. Our current Flow/BR TL seems to be holding things together pretty well, considering we haven't even had an ETL-LOG since January.

After pulling the 3 pm CAF's and the 5 pm CAF's on the weekends, is backroom responsible for pushing all of them? Or do other stores have the sales floor help push?

Did anyone else see a massive drop in hours for the 10 day out? Our store has the backroom openers on for 20 hours total for the week, so just 4 hour shifts. I don't see how they think this is going to work out. It takes us about 3 hours to do the morning autofills, so that leaves us about an hour to backstock everything off the truck. They are being super stingy with hours and making everyone leave right when they are scheduled. I'm wondering how long this will last before they start asking us to stay.

After pulling the 3 pm CAF's and the 5 pm CAF's on the weekends, is backroom responsible for pushing all of them? Or do other stores have the sales floor help push?
They (ETL) had me push rest of the line after the 5 were pulled; instead of coming clean for the truck on Monday. I managed to sneak in doing the clearance and audit. A few times this week they had me push the entire line.

Salesfloor pushes. The LOD will usually get everyone who isn't a cashier to help (Hardlines, softlines, electronics, CA, GSA) so they get knocked out quick. If we're really slammed and everyone is on a lane and the BR is in good shape, they will ask the BR to help out. But never to push them all solo.

Salesfloor pushes. The LOD will usually get everyone who isn't a cashier to help (Hardlines, softlines, electronics, CA, GSA) so they get knocked out quick. If we're really slammed and everyone is on a lane and the BR is in good shape, they will ask the BR to help out. But never to push them all solo.

Thank you SFSFun and Grizzlies, the store I'm at currently has backroom pushing all of their pulls from the CAF's (1 pm, 3 pm, weekends 5 pm). No salesfloor team members are pushing CAF's, just go backs (reshop). We have so much push in our backroom it's horrendous.

Thank you SFSFun and Grizzlies, the store I'm at currently has backroom pushing all of their pulls from the CAF's (1 pm, 3 pm, weekends 5 pm). No salesfloor team members are pushing CAF's, just go backs (reshop). We have so much push in our backroom it's horrendous.
It's definitely dependent on your store though. When they changed the hourly CAF pulls earlier this year, leadership was told they would be getting less hours but more control over where to use them. They could cut from BR and give to salesfloor to push, or increase BR but also have them push. My store has always been understaffed to begin with so we didn't really notice a difference.

Depends on the store. At my store, backroom pushes everything, though the sales floor team may help during crazy push seasons like BTC and the holidays.

Did anyone else see a massive drop in hours for the 10 day out? Our store has the backroom openers on for 20 hours total for the week, so just 4 hour shifts. I don't see how they think this is going to work out. It takes us about 3 hours to do the morning autofills, so that leaves us about an hour to backstock everything off the truck. They are being super stingy with hours and making everyone leave right when they are scheduled. I'm wondering how long this will last before they start asking us to stay.

I'm dayside, but yes. I have single-digit hours next week.

Depends on the store. At my store, backroom pushes everything, though the sales floor team may help during crazy push seasons like BTC and the holidays.

It's definitely dependent on your store though. When they changed the hourly CAF pulls earlier this year, leadership was told they would be getting less hours but more control over where to use them. They could cut from BR and give to salesfloor to push, or increase BR but also have them push. My store has always been understaffed to begin with so we didn't really notice a difference.

Thanks! So we've been pushing everything that is pulled from the backroom too, but with back to school it's been a mess. Smart carts, tubs, shopping carts, repack boxes full of back to school items. Fire aisle has been inundated with shopping carts of back to school push/backstock. Finding FF's has been a nightmare considering how much back to school stuff is all over the backroom.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back