Archived The Big & Dandy Backroom thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rule of thumb is 3DPCIs/waco. If people on your team are lazy, that's when you end up with 20/waco. It actually saves a lot of time to spend more time backstocking properly than just shoving stuff in the nearest waco.
In my store, I've added 2 more rows of wacos to all grocery aisles and both health & beauty aisles to help with the organization.

How many items do you all try to limit to a waco? I was trained that we want to keep it to 3 different DPCIs per waco whenever possible. But we do have sections where there is not room, so I've been trying to limit it to 5-6 obviously different items.

In the bigger wacos this is a bit harder, because people will just throw a ton of small items in the empty big wacos instead of walking further down the valley to find an empty spot. I just emptied out a large waco the other day that had over 20 different DPCIs in it and a small waco that had about 15 (this one was in cosmetics and they just backstocked all the same brand but different colors in that waco)

If we have the space, we try to limit it to only two DPCIs per WACO. Obviously, that depends on the fillgroup. In DOMS for example, we try to have one DPCI per waco. In COSM, we might limit it to 4 or 5. Ideally we would have a maximum of three DPCIs per 3 compartment waco, but that's never the case.

In my store, I've added 2 more rows of wacos to all grocery aisles and both health & beauty aisles to help with the organization.
You would have fun trying that at my store...some fillgroups (like cosmetics) have wacos from the 2nd shelf all the way up to the top and it's still not nearly enough.

You would have fun trying that at my store...some fillgroups (like cosmetics) have wacos from the 2nd shelf all the way up to the top and it's still not nearly enough.
Funny you say that because I just added a row of 12 inch wide wacos to cosmetics today to hold all the bath sponges. Why doesn't your store have wacos on the bottom shelf in cosmetics? There is no need for a lower case pack shelf in cosmetics.

Why doesn't your store have wacos on the bottom shelf in cosmetics? There is no need for a lower case pack shelf in cosmetics.

You know, that's a pretty good idea that I never noticed. Our top shelves (sometimes top two) tend to be empty while our wacos are stuffed like tacos. Should probably bring that up with my TL Or, if I want to actually see results, my ETL

Just reprofiled cos, looks a lot cleaner now that everything is rubber-banded and plastic baggied. The loofah things are annoying as all hell, though. They can def go higher, esp because you can just drop them from high.

Just reprofiled cos, looks a lot cleaner now that everything is rubber-banded and plastic baggied. The loofah things are annoying as all hell, though. They can def go higher, esp because you can just drop them from high.
Since we started using the dividers that make 3 compartments in the waco boxes down the cosmetics aisle, we haven't had to rubber band anything. Quite a time-saver.

We've used them, but I don't want to give any leeway when it comes to that aisle. Rigid expectation will make follow-up a lot easier. I get serious about my BR brand.

Since we started using the dividers that make 3 compartments in the waco boxes down the cosmetics aisle, we haven't had to rubber band anything. Quite a time-saver.

Our dividers never fit properly, so stuff is always sliding under. SO frustrating! We just overhauled how we backstock cosmetics- it was always one of our worst areas in terms of accuracy. So far, so good. Fingers crossed it holds up through this cosmetics reset.

Funny you say that because I just added a row of 12 inch wide wacos to cosmetics today to hold all the bath sponges. Why doesn't your store have wacos on the bottom shelf in cosmetics? There is no need for a lower case pack shelf in cosmetics.
As with most things in my store, things are the way they are because that's how they've always been.

There is stuff located on the bottom shelf, but now that you mention it, it probably isn't necessary for that stuff to be there. We could probably squeeze in two more rows of wacos.

I'm jealous of all you who have great BRTLs or are great BRTLs that care about this kind of stuff.

I was trying to find the item # for light duty backroom shelves on SAP, anyone have any idea what they are called?

How many items do you all try to limit to a waco? I was trained that we want to keep it to 3 different DPCIs per waco whenever possible. But we do have sections where there is not room, so I've been trying to limit it to 5-6 obviously different items.

In the bigger wacos this is a bit harder, because people will just throw a ton of small items in the empty big wacos instead of walking further down the valley to find an empty spot. I just emptied out a large waco the other day that had over 20 different DPCIs in it and a small waco that had about 15 (this one was in cosmetics and they just backstocked all the same brand but different colors in that waco)

Most of the stock room is 3 dpcis..only exception is cosm and hbo 1&2. Right now I got all of market with the exception of Snk/candy down to 1 dpci per Waco.

What kind of bags are you using? Did you get them off SAP or reqd from the floor

As with most things in my store, things are the way they are because that's how they've always been.

The one problem with long time team members set in there ways refusing to try new things.

What kind of bags are you using? Did you get them off SAP or reqd from the floor
Just requisitioned the up and up baggies from the floor. Couple boxes will last a long time, especially if you send out the baggy box with the pull.

We added rows of wacos as well in cosmetics. Also added in office/stationery. My pet peeve is when someone puts a tiny item in a big waco with a million other things when there are 20 smaller empty wacos at the end of the aisle. I also HATE when 'helpers' back-stocking do not de-trash!

We added rows of wacos as well in cosmetics. Also added in office/stationery. My pet peeve is when someone puts a tiny item in a big waco with a million other things when there are 20 smaller empty wacos at the end of the aisle. I also HATE when 'helpers' back-stocking do not de-trash!
When I was in the back, I would take my 3 tiers to the end of the aisles and work toward the front. So much easier to find space.

I always hate when there's 10 different items in a single waco at the front of an aisle.

Our cosmetics wacos are stuffed 5-10 dpcis a peice. No matter how many times we update or 12 step the area it consitently stays full. It rarely has errors though for whatever reason.

@Lazy do you guys 12 step? Im curious as to how many other stores follow that practice. Its a very efficient method to getting out decode/nop/clearance from the stockroom. Since we started 12 stepping regularly our price change batches are next to zero everyday and our brla has risen substantialy.

@Lazy do you guys 12 step? Im curious as to how many other stores follow that practice. Its a very efficient method to getting out decode/nop/clearance from the stockroom. Since we started 12 stepping regularly our price change batches are next to zero everyday and our brla has risen substantialy.

We do... We try to do an aisle a day.

What's 12 step?

1.has item merge been completed
2. Is daily audit done.
3.empty location audit
4.labels scannable
5.profile accurate
6.wrong fillgroups pulled
7.correct fillgroup paper up.
8.nop pulled and mysuporrted.
9.stuff that's been there forever pulled and pushed??
10.partial casepacks pulled and stod correctly
11.low and pro
12.and overstock identified and plan to do with it.

Sure that's all of them and think 9 is right. These are the "steps"... Just might not be in the right order

Last edited:
Oh thanks @Lazy. Some times getting the daily audit done is like pulling teeth!!! We use to do it b4 autos were pulled, new ETL is like screw the audit!! So now team takes their time in doing it if they do it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back