I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

So guys, I started in NOV of 2010 as a seasonal team member. I am now a PFresh tm going on my second year. I have noticed that on any of my pay stubs, I have 0 across the board for PH/VAC/Sick. My avg hours are between 18-22. This is my first "on the books" job so I am not familiar with any of these things.

I do live in NYC if that helps. Thanks guys!

On Thanksgiving. When you call out, you don't have to give anything but the most general reason why, like "I'm sick," or "I'm having transportation issues." Store leadership can't harass, threaten, or question your reason without facing the Integrity Hotline. Target, and any other retail establishment, will continue to exploit its workers until they push back, and I'd call working on Thanksgiving a clear case of exploitation.

I'm not advocating for a union, but in the absence of a union, only using tactics such as this will cause any change to occur. Last year's midnight opening was bad enough, but at least the store wasn't technically opening on a holiday, and team members that were there for the store opening didn't have to come in until late in the evening Thursday. With a 9pm opening, team members will have to come in that much earlier and lose that much more time with friends and family.

Unless team members take action, situations like this will continue to happen, and continue to get worse. What's next? Staying open until midnight on Christmas eve to catch that last minute shopper?
'

On Thanksgiving. When you call out, you don't have to give anything but the most general reason why, like "I'm sick," or "I'm having transportation issues." Store leadership can't harass, threaten, or question your reason without facing the Integrity Hotline. Target, and any other retail establishment, will continue to exploit its workers until they push back, and I'd call working on Thanksgiving a clear case of exploitation.

I'm not advocating for a union, but in the absence of a union, only using tactics such as this will cause any change to occur. Last year's midnight opening was bad enough, but at least the store wasn't technically opening on a holiday, and team members that were there for the store opening didn't have to come in until late in the evening Thursday. With a 9pm opening, team members will have to come in that much earlier and lose that much more time with friends and family.

Unless team members take action, situations like this will continue to happen, and continue to get worse. What's next? Staying open until midnight on Christmas eve to catch that last minute shopper?
'

You first.

I am a morning person. I am also not going to be able to sleep between dinner and work so I'd rather work 9pm to 5:30am then midnight to 8:30am. That way I get to sleep 3 hours earlier!

Golly gee-whiz! There sure are a bunch of negative nellies on here! I can't wait for a crowd of mindless consumers to trample me underfoot so they can save $20.00 on a mediocre television! The six week meat-grinder is what we live for! After work, don't forget to get out there and spend spend spend!

it's retail, we all know it, and it's the holidays. I'm going to enjoy the hours and be grateful, and enjoy seeing the team members I miss the rest of the year.

breathe in, breathe out, it's all good.

it will all be over within 6 weeks, and then will start over again in January.

If you don't like your schedule, get a different job, this one is all about selling stuff.

We work in retail!!!! If you don't like working holidays and weekends then get a boring office job.

I'm sure many of us would if those jobs were available ...
or was that sarcasm, I'm so bad at reading that in posts.

I'm of two minds on this one.
While it's true I feel that Spot has pretty much sacrificed our lives to the god of mamon and should be punished for it in some way, this probably isn't the best approach.
Huge fan of organized protests, been in a number of them, even organized a few myself.
It's too late for this to work.
The folks over at Wallie world had the right idea and started a month ago and I don't even know if it's going to work for them.
This is a case of the frog in the pot of boiling water.
Spot (and other retailers, let's be fair) have slowly been cutting into Thanksgiving bit by bit every year telling us it's just the nature of the beast.
We have become enured to the pain and just accept it.
Maybe next year when Spot announces we'll be open all day, then people will be mad enough.

'

You realize what you are suggesting is called a S, right?

To be honest, I really don't see what the big deal is. Maybe it's because I'm a realist. I know that going into certain jobs I'll have to make certain sacrifices. I KNEW going into Retail that I'd likely have to work most of or an entire holiday. It really does just come with the territory; we're working for a MONEY MAKING BUSINESS FIRST, no matter what anyone tells you. People, although very high at the top of the priorities is a close tie, but not at the top.

-Zen

'

I think you might be the minority here.......

I love the idea, but it won't accomplish anything. If only a few people do it, then they won't see the significance of it, and give you some kind of corrective action for calling out on the biggest day of the year. If a lot of people do it, then they will simply punish and replace the people involved.

You need to be more creative with your rebellion.

Back