I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

I'll seriously just give my two weeks if they try and put this in effect at my store. I do my best to be at work when I am scheduled but I will not go to work if I'm puking or have Diarrhea.

My store back in the spring put all tm's on the same schedule that the store is on. To stay in the green the store has to have like below 5% in lost hours (or whatever it is). It is put on a monthly report and people have been coached on it (one SL team member was just last week for excessive tardiism) and the next month it is a CA.
There was a lost of pushback on this when it first rolled out...I can't imagine what would happen if this was instituted.

People are only scheduled a few hours a week once or twice a week. They barely have any hours as is, they have no loyalty to the company, they have a job that is so full of BS it is beyond belief and they get paid crap. Of course they call in. Target wanted to save money by no longer having full time team member so this is what they get, people who are not invested in the company and who do not care. Guess what the answer is not? Punishing everyone in the building.

wow, we only get nailed for NCNS and patterend callouts. i didnt know your HR people work for hitler

They should crack down on the people that call off a a weekly basis, not people that call in a couple times because they are really actually sick. I have called off 3 times in the entire year I've worked for them. I go in even if I feel like crap, I call off only in extreme cases. There are some that call off once a week a swear. You can't tell me you are so sick you can't work 52 times a year. It's people like that that should get the crackdown, not people like me who work their tail off. No way that is fair to the rest of the team. Is that seriously your store's new policy? If it is I call that crazy. Workforce will drop to nothing in notime.

This thread reminds me of how cute it is when children believe in santa claus. They actually get all rustled up thinking that St. Nick is documenting everything they do, and that they will be held accountable come December 25.

I think Determinism must be pretty new to all of this, based off the fact he seems a little excited/worked up about this. Let us know how this works out for them Determinism, if and WHEN they decide to implement this policy.

They'll realize it soon enough. You could theoretically call in every 31 days and just be on permanent corrective action. But good luck transferring! It's kind of silly that if you're legitimately sick, you'll be put on CA/written up when you come back.

As for TMs who handle food and are legally required to call in when they have certain symptoms? Welp, you can just work in another work center!

They're cracking down since my store has a chronic problem with closing sf people calling in or ncns. Either way, the rationale is ridiculous. It's basically the few hs students who consistently call in that ruined it for rest of us.

Instead of a blanket policy, it really should be handled on a case by case basis. That's management 101. You'd think an ETL / college grad would get that! I'm confident they'll change their approach once it starts backfiring on them. In the meantime, I'm breaking out the popcorn!

I am at a pfresh store, and they made it explicitly clear when we opened that if a person (especially in food) is sick, they can't just be moved to another department. They need to stay home.

I am at a pfresh store, and they made it explicitly clear when we opened that if a person (especially in food) is sick, they can't just be moved to another department. They need to stay home.

That's what they said in beginning too. However, ETL in charge of that area in store seems to believe that if someone in pfresh work area has the flu, they can either call in and get a CA or come to work in a diff work center.

Dude, if Someone is puking constantly, sweating all over while simultaneously having a fever and feeling cold -- do you seriously think they're capable of pulling all the dropped auto fills on time, and operating equipment like the Wave or Stacket competently?

Someone will call their bluff. Too bad I already got my flu shot a few weeks ago.

yeah. not to mention hackin' all over the walkies, pdas, and cash registers? no wonder you have so many call outs lol

That's what they said in beginning too. However, ETL in charge of that area in store seems to believe that if someone in pfresh work area has the flu, they can either call in and get a CA or come to work in a diff work center.

Dude, if Someone is puking constantly, sweating all over while simultaneously having a fever and feeling cold -- do you seriously think they're capable of pulling all the dropped auto fills on time, and operating equipment like the Wave or Stacket competently?

Someone will call their bluff. Too bad I already got my flu shot a few weeks ago.

The Flu shot really doesn't prevent the Flu. It just prevents the best guest of what strains are going to hit.

yeah. not to mention hackin' all over the walkies, pdas, and cash registers? no wonder you have so many call outs lol
What about all the nasty kids peeing and pooping on the salesfloor, gumming some toy that their parents picked up to keep them quiet, having to breath in all the dust on the shelves and backroom racks, parents leaving dirty diapers in the carts, people who can not aim correctly for the toilet leaving a whole stall a disaster area....

A year and a half ago I had mono. I asked the ETL-Food and HR both at seperate times if it was okay to work in Pfresh with it. They both said yes, just stay away from the fresh food.

I should have called the health department.

Another time at a huddle, they gave recognition to a TM who came in sick. Uh... what?

If you are sick, in p fresh, call out. It is food service, like food ave. don't come in!
I would call out in that instance, but I don't want a CA. I'll just go to work, come hell or high water, and clock on. Inform LOD I'm sick. If I get sent home, I can't be put on CA for it. I'd like to keep my nose clean, documentation wise. If I'm made to stay, I'll throw up on sales floor. They are required to send you home if you vomit at work. Then, I'll call the Health Department. That'll have Spot / DTL rain down holy hell on ETLs/STLs head.

OK.....calm down everyone...
I believe that the call offs that are being talked about are the ones where a TM just calls in and says "I can't come in for my shift"....and really does not have a valid excuse. If you are sick...and I'm talking about being sick you can be out for a few days...if you are out 3 days in a row then you have to produce proof (doctors excuse) that you were sick.

For the people who just call off for the heck of it and do it repeatedly then they deserve to get termed....by repeatedly I'm talking about once every two weeks....or more....and there must be documentation of the repeated call-offs for a TM to be termed.

I believe that you are termed for a NC/NS if you miss three shifts in a row....in which case you deserve to get termed.

I live in a state that has "at-will" employment....but a company has to show cause for termination.....except for companies that say that there is a probationary period of 90 days. In those 90 days you can be left go without any reason at all.....but after the 90 days there are procedures that must be followed in order to term people.

While Target has been known to term people for improper reasons they do have to answer to the bureau of unemployment and have "valid" paperwork to prove why they won't approve unemployment. By valid it may just be a listing of dates that a person hasn't shown up for work...and the missed days would have to show excessive absenteeism.

Granted, I may be wrong on some of this, but you can't be fired just for calling off two days a month. Now, if there's CA papers, then the story changes, because that shows that a TM has been "officially notified" of a work issue....but I think that there are a few processes in place that require more than just one CA.

I've already had two people who were TERMINATED for calling out twice in a 30-day period.

First was a warning, second was a term. No joke.

So I asked my ETL about performance and what i can improve on etc. My ETL, TL and me sat in an office to discuss it about 2 weeks ago. She said I has one call out but otherwise i am good. I have never called out once and told my ETL this and she told me she agreed with me.She said it was a mistake and I was good. Someone covered my shift and it was keyed wrong?? So I have 0 attendance issues. I asked her again two weeks later because someone took my shift again and it was not LOD approved but he arrived there and took my shift, when she looked at my attendance,she said she saw three new call-outs. I don't know what is going on. But I have never called out, not even once. She said she will look into it. But doesn't someone have to physically enter a call-out into the system? How can there be the same mistake 4 times? Is someone trying to get me on probation/fired? Can that happen? One of the team leads i don't think likes me very much, but i have a fairly good working relationship with everyone else. If this keeps on happening what should I do?

On swap swifts, need to be approved by your etl, or Lod on the swap sheet. Then, hr will get changed in max.
But, what could happened, you had asked your fellow tm to take your shift, they say yes, and not show up for your shifts. Then, you are responsible for coming to work.

Technically on how the Swap Shift sheet works, once you post a shift on the sheet, someone takes it and its approved by an ETL, you are in the clear. The other person is responsible.

If a shift is not ETL approved and the other person showed up for the shift, it will have to changed be an ETL or HR as not a Call-In.

If a shift is not ETL approved and the other person didn't show up, then you are responsible.

Last edited:
You have to CYA. One time a team member asked to swap shifts with me but I never heard an LOD confirmation. So, on the shift that I swaped,Iwent to the store anyway to be sure of the schedule change. You know what? I was still scheduled for that day and the other team member wasn't. So we both had to explain the situation to the LOD. A lot of confusion there.

You have to CYA. One time a team member asked to swap shifts with me but I never heard an LOD confirmation. So, on the shift that I swaped,Iwent to the store anyway to be sure of the schedule change. You know what? I was still scheduled for that day and the other team member wasn't. So we both had to explain the situation to the LOD. A lot of confusion there.

The one time I had to do a swap shift with a TM (I had been scheduled outside of my availability) I wrote down my hours I needed to get out of on the board, took it to her, she wrote down the hours she was trading with me, we both wrote our names in the appropriate places immediately before anyone else could jump in to take the hours. At that point, I was either free to stick it back on the board and wait for the approval or stick it under the LOD's nose to approve right then and there (I did the latter). Then there was absolutely NO question that the swap was official.

After I take a shift, or someone takes mine, I always keep checking the board for an eventual approval. I've noticed that not all swaps on the board are approved. So if there's no initials after the swap and it's getting close to the shift in question, it's time to hand the board to someone to either approve or deny on the actual paper.

Back