I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

I want to be seen as the reliable and responsible employee that I am so I won't be calling out. I was going to throw in the word respected as another way I can describe myself but if Target really respected me, I wouldn't be working an overnight shift Wednesday into Thursday when I clearly changed my availability about 2 months ago for health reasons. I know I will feel like **** after i struggle to get in my car, drive home and crawl into bed this thanksgiving morning:beat: I'll have to cut into my Thanksgiving even further because I'llbe going to bed around 8:30pm to start work at 3am. But like I said before, Ima suck it up. I'll feel like **** but I won't be the only one. I'll get to see people behave like animals, it'll make for some great stories to share with friends and family:popcorm1:!! It'll be the chillest and most entertaining shift ever because people will go crazy and no one cares to ask where **** is for fear of losing that item just because they had to ask me what aisle they could find it on. My most enjoyable moment of Black Friday that I will look be looking forward to is working with dayside coworkers. They will look like hell and they'll feel 10xs worse then me, and ill be like, "Oh you feel like ****? Yeah try and do that once a week, every week, for months at a time or permanently like our overnight team members or myself.":treaten: Make them think twice about complaining to me for coming in at 8AM!

As for those who shake their heads to those that willingly signed up to work at 9pm, let them be. Thats great that some people don't mind coming in at 9pm, it doesn't mean you're less of a good family member by doing so. Some family members don't mind and some do but they know work is work and work is demanding especially when you work retail. My family is too amazing, they'll be doing Thanksgiving a little bit earlier so that i can enjoy it much as possible.

I'm not working thursday. Shock!

I'm coming in at 3am on Friday. Kinda sad I'm going to miss the "running of the bulls", but happy I'll be able to host our thanksgiving dinner.

This is the first year ever that I'm going to miss the first hours of the start of the Christmas season.

I'm happy for the people who really needed the extra money they'll get for the Thursday hours. In fact, I don't think I've heard anyone complain about it, there are so many tm in need at our store. I've just heard how this extra money will go to presents for their kids....

My family is too amazing, they'll be doing Thanksgiving a little bit earlier so that i can enjoy it much as possible.

Lucky you! My family is actually having dinner later because I'm O/N the night before and I don't start until 10:30 Thanksgiving night.

I'll be opening so I'll start at 8:45p off at 7am then back on at 5pm friday and close. 17+ hours for this "green" friday crap! And NO, I was not asked, and certainly DID NOT volunteer for it! The problem I have with it is the principle! Its just not right to have to work that many hours with no choice on the worst day of retail of the year for a measly $8/hr.

Haven't been on the board in awhile as I felt I was sounding like a broken record with all the complaining.

I came back on here to stay that this is a situation that is my fault. In some of my posts I have said that I often work the front of the assembly line when I start my shift everyday I'm scheduled. From Friday to Monday, we had a situation where because of parties, football and other such nonsense, we were short-staffed the whole weekend. That obviously means that everyone who comes in works double time. I recognize that as hard as it is on the weekend, you have to consider your personal health first.

I didn't. By Tuesday, I started getting sick and had to call off Wed because I almost couldn't breath through my nose and kept coughing.

Stress will kill you if you let it.

Question:

Why do the ETLs push for an early end time and yet keep certain people while letting the rest go? I got told to stay to my time to leave while everyone else booked.

Since there was a long discussion about me specifically calling out and risking my job in this thread I wanted to make a quick update. I did end up calling out for my Thanksgiving shift, and I didn't even receive so much as a verbal coaching when I got back. Missed out on the time and a half but got to spend a wonderful Thanksgiving with my family which was more than worth it.

Since there was a long discussion about me specifically calling out and risking my job in this thread I wanted to make a quick update. I did end up calling out for my Thanksgiving shift, and I didn't even receive so much as a verbal coaching when I got back. Missed out on the time and a half but got to spend a wonderful Thanksgiving with my family which was more than worth it.

Don't think for a second that it wasn't noticed or recorded though. Those with chronic histories of certain things can be flagged and then any little thing can start you down the path for termination. Calling out seems harmless enough, but it IS noticed.

Don't think for a second that it wasn't noticed or recorded though. Those with chronic histories of certain things can be flagged and then any little thing can start you down the path for termination. Calling out seems harmless enough, but it IS noticed.

If they don't coach me on it though, it doesn't matter much. At any rate, I'll be leaving in 6 months or so anyway so it doesn't matter much.
Pull, you calling out Christmas Eve, too?

Won't be scheduled for it so it doesn't matter. Mondays aren't on my availability.

Just because you weren't coached doesn't mean you aren't being performanced out without your knowledge. I'm surprised they haven't overridden your Monday availability. I know there's been talk of doing that for my not being available on Wednesdays for the day after Christmas. We'll see.

Won't be scheduled for it so it doesn't matter. Mondays aren't on my availability.

Just because it's not your "availabilty" doesn't mean you won't get scheduled. The way it was explained to me was that you set your availabity for the days you have work at another job, school, or something in that category. No one has school on Christmas (that I know of) so Target figures, no school, they can work.
So don't get your hopes up that you won't be scheduled. Could be lucky and get it off but don't assume that since you're not "available" that day, that they won't make you work.

Just because it's not your "availabilty" doesn't mean you won't get scheduled. The way it was explained to me was that you set your availabity for the days you have work at another job, school, or something in that category. No one has school on Christmas (that I know of) so Target figures, no school, they can work.
So don't get your hopes up that you won't be scheduled. Could be lucky and get it off but don't assume that since you're not "available" that day, that they won't make you work.

You'd be surprised. With my internship, they are learning to work around some odd requests....including Christmas Eve.

Just because you weren't coached doesn't mean you aren't being performanced out without your knowledge. I'm surprised they haven't overridden your Monday availability. I know there's been talk of doing that for my not being available on Wednesdays for the day after Christmas. We'll see.

Like I said, I'll be leaving in 6 months or so anyway so even if they do decide to put the time and resources into performancing me it'll likely take that long anyway.

As for being scheduled outside my availability, they can go ahead and override" it if they want but it isn't going to magically make me skip my other responsibilities. If they schedule me and then try to coach me for it, I can start doing my own documentation so I have something to present at a potential unemployment hearing.

I want the money. I was kind of bummed I didn't start on the holiday and get the extra money. I also enjoy laughing at the people who are stupid camping in tents on the lines to save 20 bucks on a tv. But it is the biggest year in retail. I was just thankful to have a job. Complain all you want. It's not going to change anything. This is the most important time in retail. You should know this going in. This is the time of year where you just have to suck it up. If you have a problem, you'd better start looking for a job in another field. Plain and simple.

UPDATE: This is addressed to all complainers, not any one person.

Last edited:
I just think about all the other jobs that must stay open on Christmas. Gas stations, grocery stores, tow truck companies, etc. I know what we sell is frivolous, but the guests in line seem to be enjoying their selves immensely. I have a cousin that does all the black friday stuff. Her and her girls have a great time running from store to store. To each his own. I'm happy to have a job, even if its not always the best job.

Back