I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

Yeah like a month back I left early, and they brought it up when they pulled my attendance. I was like uhh seriously? You're going to penalize me for showing up first? Okay.

The attendance shows up on spreadsheet. It shows different colors for late or leaving early for tm's. Just a numbers game for hr..

SoT, I would have t disagree with you on that. In my store all TL's are to coach a person for EVERY call out they do. If you get too many, you get the written CCA and then can get fired. It does not matter if your husband/wife died, you have a doctor's note, or you had a heart attack. My store coaches every call out no matter what. It has the side effect of making the team scared to call so I'd guess we have fewer call outs than other stores.... I guess that's a bonus...... but the team is constantly in fear of losing their jobs due to getting the flu or something.....

Dude, I was a TL myself. A coaching is not anything. Anytime a TL basically tells someone how to do a better job it is a "coaching".

This is exactly what I am talking about. It is just the fear factor.

No one will get termed as long as policy is followed when you call in. It just won't happen.

Ok so they can't at-will term a permament employee whos been around a long time?

They don't like me and I don't like them, and they know it.

At will employment does mean an employer can terminate you for pretty much any reasons. (there are some exceptions)

So, could Target term you for calling in? Yes, they can.

But you need to remember that ETLs are not "above the law" so to speak. Am I talking about government "law"? No, I am talking about company policy. ETLs can't just term anyone because they feel like it. They don't have that authority. (even though some would like you to believe that they do....)

They have to follow company policy regarding terms. There is no company policy that allows an ETL to instant term you just because you call in. (assuming you are not on probation) If it becomes a pattern - i.e. you are calling in every other day or something - then they can initiate the corrective action process, which could eventually lead to a term.

But if you call in every now and then as in maybe once every few months if that? You are fine.

The attendance shows up on spreadsheet. It shows different colors for late or leaving early for tm's. Just a numbers game for hr..

The problem with that damn attendance report is that the computer is not smart enough to adjust for changes to the schedule. So say you are scheduled to work 8AM to 2PM on Saturday. You get called by an ETL to come in at 4PM to close instead that day. Chances are, you are going to get flagged on that damn report. When the ETL-HR actually checks the report, maybe a week later, she is going to think you were late. Will the ETL that asked you to change shifts back you up? You would be surprised how many times I have seen TMs get in trouble over that, and the ETL who told them to work different hours suddenly "forgot" all about doing that....

If you quit or get termed they pay it all out. If you dont have 40 hours you can use your vacation time. Like if you are scheduled 30 hrs you can use 10 hrs. You just cant go over 40. I dont think you can tap into sick time.

Things have changed at my store with the new etl-hr. the attendance report had showed me that a certain tm was punching in late almost every day he had worked. I did the coaching to the tm for it.
Any changes to schedule times, are done promptly to avoid issues & keep our hr score green.

you can use vacation and personal hours up to your average amount of hours. It used to be that you could go up to 40, but that changed.

On your paystub, there will be an average amount of hours. That's the total amount of hours we can give you in vacation hours in addition to any worked hours.

Yeah I forgot to punch in one day and I flagged. They got all up in my ass about it. I'm never late btw lol.

I used to hound my LOD/HR team about making changes to the schedule for myself and my team whenever we'd come in early/stay late... they hated it but I was covering my ass.

SoT, I would have t disagree with you on that. In my store all TL's are to coach a person for EVERY call out they do. If you get too many, you get the written CCA and then can get fired. It does not matter if your husband/wife died, you have a doctor's note, or you had a heart attack. My store coaches every call out no matter what. It has the side effect of making the team scared to call so I'd guess we have fewer call outs than other stores.... I guess that's a bonus...... but the team is constantly in fear of losing their jobs due to getting the flu or something.....

Uhmmmm, I've heard Target doesn't even look at Doctors notes....

The problem with that damn attendance report is that the computer is not smart enough to adjust for changes to the schedule. So say you are scheduled to work 8AM to 2PM on Saturday. You get called by an ETL to come in at 4PM to close instead that day. Chances are, you are going to get flagged on that damn report. When the ETL-HR actually checks the report, maybe a week later, she is going to think you were late. Will the ETL that asked you to change shifts back you up? You would be surprised how many times I have seen TMs get in trouble over that, and the ETL who told them to work different hours suddenly "forgot" all about doing that....

It's like when I got a shift two weeks ago that was outside of my availability. I told my HR TL about it and she said she would get rid of it for me. I followed up with her twice and she still hadn't fixed it yet. So when I was shopping over the weekend, the GSA came over to me and told me I had a NCNS. So I talked to HR about it the next time I worked. It turned out that they didn't do anything about it until AFTER the day I was scheduled to work.

Thanks to my HR TL, I could've been in deep [] for that "NCNS" because I already have a counseling for conduct (which I won't discuss here because it would compromise my anonymity).

So what's the procedure for calling in when your work early mornings? Say you wake up in the middle of the night and your sick. 2 hours before your shift there is no one in the store. How would you call in?

So what's the procedure for calling in when your work early mornings? Say you wake up in the middle of the night and your sick. 2 hours before your shift there is no one in the store. How would you call in?

it is suggested to your etl-log phone number, thats what the flow team does at my store.

Were early morning at my store..and the early morning team is still to call out as soon as feasibly possible. Some will call out the night before, others know what time we arrive in the building and call out then. We do have the few that will call out around 8am or so, and we usually allow them to call in later as long as were still there working, once the team has left then calling out doesnt do you any good because it goes down as NCNS.

Also, continued poor attendance can and does lead to CCA's and termination. I have currently 3 flow team on CCA's, 1 of those is a final, and I have fired 2 BRTM's and 1 FLOW TM for poor attendance. Of course this is following coachings, writeups and not improving the attendance.

As a backroom TL, I take every call off different. If its a legitimate excuse, or someone who works hard and rarely calls off, I don't coach them. If.it's a habitual habit or someone with a bad attitude I will

Back