I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

Good question. I'd assume no, but if yes, then it probably has to be the same rules that apply to funeral pay, of which I don't think you're eligible. That being that it has to be immediate family or spouses immediate family. 2-3 days if out of town?

It does tend to vary based on your store, leadership, and personal performance. The week off in January may hurt your chances of staying on. But like I said work hard, show them you want the job, show interest in cross training, get redcards, and that'll help you a little. I was hired as summer seasonal last year and was able to take a week off. They loved my work ethic and kept me on! So there could be hope. Oh, I should mention thay ANYONE staying on past season does depend on your store's needs. Regardless of performance. Also, your store may still use MAX. You can only access this from the store. Go into MAX via eHR and you'll see "Request time off."

As long as you call in appropriately and/or give away your shifts, you can't get fired for it. If you NCNS, you will most likely be fired.

It's my grandfather. I'm out of state for a week. I had called the LOD on the morning of the 10th, and won't be back until the 19th. I told him i'd be out until Monday the 16th , not knowing at the time when the funeral would be. Does calling just that once and letting him know cover up until Monday then? Or do I need to call every day?

Definitely call again and be VERY clear that you can't work AT ALL until whatever time you return. Also, if possible, you should start talking to other TMs as soon as possible to see if anyone can cover your shifts.

If the LOD is doing his job, that one call should suffice until the 16th. However, I would still call the LOD the morning of the next day you're scheduled to double check. Just make sure it's at least two hours before the start of your shift (in case the first LOD didn't properly note your call in).

Why did you post the same topic in two places? I JUST responded to you in another thread and then got an email that there was a new response here... I was very confused, lol. I stand by what I said in the other thread (call again, at least two hours ahead of your next shift).

This is sort of off topic but I'm surprised that they're keeping seasonal people past the first week of January. That's usually when we get rid of all ours.

Mods, Merged this tread in the lost forum, please. It is suggested to contact your hr without delay. Also, I assume on your jan vacation, you did tell them & requested that time off way in advance. If you have not told them by now, depending on your store needs, you may be cut.

I merged the two threads, it's a bit of a mess but I hope the information and help will still be valid.

It sounds like you haven't asked off for the time in January yet. And you will now have to wait until you get back into town. Expect that to be denied, because it's really too late, and you will need to choose between your trip and your job.

You're out of town until NEXT Thursday? For a funeral? That's testing leadership's patience, I would think.

No one here can give you a definitive answer but every time you're gone, leadership will examine the hell out of the circumstances. The funeral absence will definitely be noted, but I can't fathom that you get the week off for that as well as time off for your trip in January. I'm with Retail Girl, it may come down to your trip or your job, especially considering you're a seasonal hire.

We aren't trying to judge. The funeral will probably not hurt you, although it is a long time to be away. However, you should have put in the time off for your other trip as soon as you knew. That's what it is going to hurt you and your chances at employment. If you put it in before hand, it might be a different story (depending on your store's leadership). If I were you, I'd see if I could back out ofthe other trip, or you may be looking for another job after the season. You have to understand, under 90 days, you are on probation in a sense. Every tiny detail is noted and can be used against you. No one here is trying to be harsh. It's just the truth.

I don't think people are judging you for the funeral; although 6+ days is a long time, I can see it being reasonable if it's very much out of town...I know my grandma lives on the other side of the US, and I've thought about what would happen if she passed away. You figure in two days for travel (there and back) and then with visitation and the funeral, it could easily be 4-6 days.

Now, if you had a non-negotiable vacation planned and did not put in any time off for it, that is another matter entirely. I have zero tolerance for people who KNOW they're going to be away for something and don't put their time off in on time, or at all, and then whine about being scheduled to work and end up calling out or guilting others into taking their shifts. If you don't know how to use eHR, find someone and make them show you. There is NO excuse for not utilizing the tools that Target gives you to make yours and their life easier. Rant over.

Now, I wasn't directing that at you particularly; there might be circumstances that I don't know about, but if you didn't follow procedure for your vacation, there's not much you can expect in terms of sympathy or assistance from your management. Your best bet is to try and talk to every person you can find about taking your shifts.

If it were just the funeral circumstances, that's understandable.
If you had put in for time off for the trip as soon as you knew, that & the funeral could still be forgiven.
But mentioning the trip AFTER taking off a week+ for a funeral is pushing the envelope.
Nothing personal, it's just business.
Despite the spot-bashing that goes on here, many members could cite instances where leadership or even corp stepped up to help during difficult circumstances. Our store was one of three nearby that provided coverage for a sister store so everyone (and I mean EVERYONE) could attend a funeral for a long-time TM who finally succumbed to cancer.

Hey all. Been working at Target for 3 weeks now. Hired as a seasonal but I've been working my butt off trying to get kept on past seasonal and I'm certain that I'm performing well. Good amount of red cards, great speed, always on time and I even tacked on a few hours of my shift to help out reshop.

The thing is I was supposed to work yesterday but I wrote it down as today because I made the mistake of thinking that the first day of the schedule was Monday and not Sunday. So here I am sitting here waiting to go into work at 12:00 and I get a call asking if I wanted to come in and work today...confused I told them that I was already coming in today cause I was scheduled. I was then told my shift was actually yesterday and today is my day off...that's when I realized that I no call no showed.

How screwed am I? Will me going in today effect me getting canned or not?

You're not in a good position let's be honest.
Going in today wouldn't serve you much except to give you a chance to double check your schedule.
You screwed up and people understand that but there are only so many spots that will be open (if there any) so it will count against you.

You're not in a good position let's be honest.
Going in today wouldn't serve you much except to give you a chance to double check your schedule.
You screwed up and people understand that but there are only so many spots that will be open (if there any) so it will count against you.

I was called in. I didn't ask to come in.

my store is fairly understanding about NCNS within the first couple of weeks if you're a good worker otherwise. I wouldn't hold that against you unless there were other issues. We have already pretty much decided who is staying on and I'm keeping a team member that was 4 hours late to a shift because he did the same thing as you.

my store is fairly understanding about NCNS within the first couple of weeks if you're a good worker otherwise. I wouldn't hold that against you unless there were other issues. We have already pretty much decided who is staying on and I'm keeping a team member that was 4 hours late to a shift because he did the same thing as you.

Talked to 3 of my GSTL's today and they all assured me I was going to be ok. I was honest with all of them and they know that I work my ass off to try to be kept on as seasonal. So hopefully I'll be alright.

The store leadership can typically tell the difference between an honest mistake and someone just bluffing through a cop-out. I've done it all...alarm didn't go off, got stuck in BAD traffic, wrote down my shift wrong, blah blah blah, and when I was completely upfront and honest about my mistake and owned to it, everyone has always been very understanding and it has never been an issue.

As long as you have a good track record, this shouldn't be a huge deciding factor in whether they will keep you or not. They will take someone who works hard 99% of the time but had one mistake over someone who just gives half-effort ALL the time.

I have accidentally wrote down the wrong schedule and came in 4 hours late. But due to the fact I closed the store the previous night and didn't get out till 2am, closed-opened the previous twice before that, and my shift I was late for was just reshopping the floor during the midday, they didn't really mind.

Back