I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

Its bad enough TMs have to handle merchandise that have been gummed by 2yrolds, or guest handled right after visiting the bathroom without washing their hands. LOL

You are correct but there are also other very common factors.

Yes sinus infections can be caused by the common colds usually include a heightened temp or fever. These cannot be directly treated. You have to let it run its course and can only treat the symptoms. Viral infections should be considered contagious and stay home.

Sinus infections can also caused by a number of other very common factors bacteria, allergens, enlarged tonsils/uvala, or deformation in the nasal septum. Other factors can be cigarette smoke, sudden weather changes, or chemicals.

The main factor is - If you have a fever. Stay home. If you feel snuffed up without a temp but lively enough to move around and work. Then do so.

And kill the 2011 ZOMBIES

Last edited:
People who don't stay home when they are sick are the same ones who will call out on a day they know will be hard.

It's simply self centered. It's impossible to stop them, but when they brag about being good workers, I speak up.

No, that's not good work erhic.

It might have been a calmly said "for the love of god and my sanity don't tell me about any more". Not a forbid, but a "don't give me bad news". Sorta like when I tell GS to not give me any more reshop. They will, they have to, I know it, but I say it.
I'm sure that's what it was. Like when I tell the GSA I don't want anymore strays, lmao.

I'm not even sure how to call out anymore since I haven't done it in awhile. It used to be that you called, got through to the fitting room and transferred to the LOD to let them know you wouldn't be in. Now the call menu has different options for which department you want and LODs don't really exist or whatever so I dunno what the new procedure is.

I'm not even sure how to call out anymore since I haven't done it in awhile. It used to be that you called, got through to the fitting room and transferred to the LOD to let them know you wouldn't be in. Now the call menu has different options for which department you want and LODs don't really exist or whatever so I dunno what the new procedure is.
Call, press number for your dpt, ask to speak to TL or ETL

Does option 9 still work? If so, press it when it offers different numbers for different departments and it will ring all the zebras logged into the phone mode.

I could use some advice! I’ve been a very reliable TM for almost 7 years at this point and have only called off maybe two or three times in my time there. I haven’t called off at all for at least 3 or so years. I now work there as a second job on the weekends because my ETL asked me to stay. I always submit my time off requests nice and early and have had some issues in the past with them getting kicked out because the scheduler didn’t accept/deny the request in time. In the past, I have always just sucked it up and gone to work when that has happened, thereby missing lots of different things with friends and family. It seems that’s what happened with my schedule next weekend - I requested off for an event I have paid tickets to (morning) and my family reunion (evening), and found out on a Monday when I went to check my schedule that they have me schedule 9-5:30 that day. I CANNOT work this day. I refuse to miss any more family events because they didn’t see the request. I’m only there once or twice a weekend and rarely even SEE any of the ETLs (what are they even called anymore? I can’t keep up) let alone get a second to nag them about my schedule. What are my options? I put the shift on the swap board, left a note in my area to let coworkers know, and have texted one of the coworkers I have a number for to no avail thus far. I’m working this weekend and can possibly talk to HR then (last I heard, she makes our schedule for Starbucks) but there’s really no guarantee I’ll see her. I don’t want to have to call off and lie about being sick (especially when there’s something of a paper trail suggesting that I’m not actually sick) but I’m not seeing too many other options at this point.

Last edited:
It's not like they give you a pass for calling in because you're sick, either, even though in a food area they're supposed to.
Too many people mistakenly believe you're not held just as accountable no matter why you call it.
Just tell them you can't come in, and if they challenge you on it, tell them about all the times your leadership couldn't be bothered to take a minute once a week to check time off requests before making the schedule.

The only thing I would add to the advice above is that in the future, when you submit a request for time off, also put a note in your ETL's mailbox letting them know about the request since you never see them to have a face-to-face discussion.

The only thing I would add to the advice above is that in the future, when you submit a request for time off, also put a note in your ETL's mailbox letting them know about the request since you never see them to have a face-to-face discussion.

Pfft. One of the last straws for me was needing a random, unimportant day off BADLY, having to pester my ETL daily about it being pending in the system, finally having to call them (because they were on vacation at this point!) and remind them it was going to auto-deny, being promised I could have the day off, buying plane tickets (at a $200 increase because I had to wait so long) and then having the ETL not only NOT go in and approve it (or tell the HR it was okay to) but actually schedule me on the day in question after all that, saying there was nothing in the system about it...

HR can pull an audit report of all requests submitted by all hourly TMs. This includes not just vacation time off but also punch corrections, availability, and PTO. It will list when it was submitted and the outcome (approved, denied, auto denied, pending) and a lot of other stuff. It also has a link to the original request. The audit report along with phone/text/email records would be more than enough to show that you made every effort possible and should have been given the time off. And at my store you would have got it even after the schedule was posted. I’m sorry your store let you down.

I have never called out. There have been so many times I wanted to, due to some medical issues, but there is no one else who would be there to cover my work if I do, so I just tough it out. Usually it is not much of a problem except having to run to the bathroom a couple times. I do hear of call outs constantly and I wonder how their work is covered. If I ever do call out in the future, I would not do it lightly.

I have never called out. There have been so many times I wanted to, due to some medical issues, but there is no one else who would be there to cover my work if I do, so I just tough it out. Usually it is not much of a problem except having to run to the bathroom a couple times. I do hear of call outs constantly and I wonder how their work is covered. If I ever do call out in the future, I would not do it lightly.

There just needs to be some middle ground with how they treat work getting done, and employee call offs.
They're allowed to schedule people based on performance instead of being "fair" now, so why can't that apply to call ins?

If a TM like you NEVER calls in, shouldn't you get more leeway if you DO call in, because they know there's something SERIOUSLY wrong?
It's ridiculous that every call in gets treated equally, and a 3 day span of call ins from the best TM in the building who's legitimately got the flu, or god forbid, the norovirus, is treated (and potentially written up) in the same way as some kid who works 2 days a week and calls in 3 times a month.

Hell, I've been hospitalized after catching a crazy infection from another TM who couldn't afford to get written up for calling in sick. I was told someone with a weak immune system could have died. That's not commendable; that's dangerous.

You’re right! I need to make a habit of doing that.

I ended up trying one last thing on Thursday: leaving a note for the etl explaining the situation/apologizing/asking for help/groveling hahaha. It seemed to do the trick because she called me back on Friday evening to say that she had talked to a Starbucks TM scheduled in another area at that same time, and he would be covering my shift. What a relief! I really wasn’t expecting that to work, and am shocked it did. Apparently begging for mercy works.

This!! I print out the request and put it in there with a thank you written on it, so they know exactly what request I’m talking about

Pfft. One of the last straws for me was needing a random, unimportant day off BADLY, having to pester my ETL daily about it being pending in the system, finally having to call them (because they were on vacation at this point!) and remind them it was going to auto-deny, being promised I could have the day off, buying plane tickets (at a $200 increase because I had to wait so long) and then having the ETL not only NOT go in and approve it (or tell the HR it was okay to) but actually schedule me on the day in question after all that, saying there was nothing in the system about it...

That ETL is an asshole. Full stop. Such shenanigans wouldn't fly at my store, and it sounds like your store has massively shitty management around call-ins. ASANTS and all that, and I absolutely would have bailed on a store like that, too, but it's hardly universal across the company.

I had time off approved but two of my days that I requested during that time off I was scheduled anyways. I told my ETL about it, she told me to see if I can find coverage for a specific day and she’ll take me off the other one but I checked Kronos and saw those two shifts are still there.

Am I going to get an unwarranted NCNS for those days even though I have approved time off?

I had time off approved but two of my days that I requested during that time off I was scheduled anyways. I told my ETL about it, she told me to see if I can find coverage for a specific day and she’ll take me off the other one but I checked Kronos and saw those two shifts are still there.

Am I going to get an unwarranted NCNS for those days even though I have approved time off?
If you have approved time off, go to HR. You shouldn’t be on the schedule.

Back