I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

Yes, Target has policies that are not government mandated. As I mentioned there is no law that holidays and vacations are mandatory, much less paid vacation and holidays. Do you believe that your TM discount is a state law? Work for a Mom-Pop business for a while. No sick leave, no vacation, no insurance, nothing. Yes, I know that our insurance is more expensive than it has been in the past years, but that's because insurance costs have risen so much. Target is still paying more for my insurance than I am. Pre-Spot, I paid nearly $2000 a month to insure my family of four with a higher deductible and lower benefits. Target matches my savings up to 5%. Not a law or a union causes that. Do you honestly think that Target is not diverse in its population? You should see my store and I'm proud of it.

I get it. You wish you had a higher paying job with better benefits. You wish you could take off any day, any time you wish. Few don't wish for that. So, do something about it rather than complain that "Target is an ole meanie."

Nope, you're right.
I didn't mention the one minor factor of market forces.
In trying to get good employees extras like insurance, discounts, competitive wages, are offered.
Unfortunately those things go the the way of the dodo the minute it looks like they can get employees easily or the perks cost too much.

It's not a matter of 'wishing' for a better job.
It's knowing that Spot (if it wanted to) could provide one, for everyone, without losing money.
They just wouldn't make as much as they currently are.

I'm proud of the diversity in my store too.
I'd just like to see Spot do more then give lip service to supporting the needs of that diversity.

As for doing something, who says I'm not ...

Sometimes the best place to work is from within.
But I still think Spot is a bit of a Poopie-head for opening on Thanksgiving.

Nice try, Gregg Steinhafel

On a serious note, aside from the discount, I don't get any of those things anymore now that I'm part time. If I was at Costco I'd have all those benefits, well and I wouldn't be scheduled on Thanksgiving day, either...

And finally, holidays are the times you make memories with your family. Spending as much time as possible with them is important but I prioritize spending time with them on holidays particularly because I only get to see them every few months right now.

Offering the bare minimum in benefits is not loyalty, it's the bare minimum they need to do to keep their employees from unionizing, of which Target is absolutely terrified. Loyalty is not effectively laying off the entire Valley Stream, NY after greater than half of them voted not to have a union anyway...

So why not work for Costco if they're so much better? Did you not understand what bare minimum is? Bare minimum is NOTHING.

Nope, you're right.
I didn't mention the one minor factor of market forces.
In trying to get good employees extras like insurance, discounts, competitive wages, are offered.
Unfortunately those things go the the way of the dodo the minute it looks like they can get employees easily or the perks cost too much.

It's not a matter of 'wishing' for a better job.
It's knowing that Spot (if it wanted to) could provide one, for everyone, without losing money.
They just wouldn't make as much as they currently are.

I'm proud of the diversity in my store too.
I'd just like to see Spot do more then give lip service to supporting the needs of that diversity.

As for doing something, who says I'm not ...

Sometimes the best place to work is from within.
But I still think Spot is a bit of a Poopie-head for opening on Thanksgiving.

But Target cannot offer those benefits at no cost. It's not fairy dust to offer insurance or paid vacation or sick leave. It's $$$. Yes, I know that it's poopie to work on Holidays. My family has done it for years. My dh works 364 days a year.

So why not work for Costco if they're so much better? Did you not understand what bare minimum is? Bare minimum is NOTHING.

Its really too difficult to discuss someone who doesn't have a basic understanding of the english language and debating. You ignore direct points and your rebuttal of "Bare minimum is NOTHING." doesn't even make sense from a language or debate standpoint. The phrase "bare minimum" by its very use means something, more than nothing.

Additionally, using that as a rebuttal to me saying "The bare minimum to keep their employees from unionizing" is completely nonsensical. Am I to understand that you really think Target offers the bare minimum of benefits merely to be our benevolent benefactor, not out of an effort to at least retain some employees? I mean, reasonable minds can differ on whether not offering benefits of any kind would lead to unionization but you can't really believe that Target would be able to retain any of its employees if they offered a starting wage barely above minimum wage and no benefits?

You know, I was really curious to see why you seem to be so adamant in your defense of Target so I took a peek back through your posts and it didn't take long to get the full picture. You've been with the company for a little over a year and you've been promoted twice up to GSTL. I did almost the exact same thing and probably would have argued the same way you are at my 1 year mark because who couldn't love a company that passed out promotions like that? (Not sure if I would have gone as far defending their Thanksgiving opening but still I definitely had a much higher regard for Target back then). But still, of course you think things are great right now. I'd imagine you've already gotten the "We could see you as an ETL one day" speech too. It worked for me, they managed to string me along for 3 years before I left to go to grad school so I could get a better job. Now that I'm just a part-timer I see plenty of people at my store doing the exact same dance I did.

Of course you're gonna say, what difference does all this make, and you might be right, it might not make a difference because for some people they'll think Target's the greatest thing in this world till the day they die. The stats don't lie though, and while I may not have specific numbers I can tell you that having 5 years with this company makes me a team member who is much rarer than I should be. Why do you think that is? The day will come when you see Target's BS for what it really is. If not, congratulations, you are among the rarest of team members that either 1)started as a team member and got promoted to ETL OR 2) never wanted to look to greener pastures and got their 10-15-20 year nod in Red magazine...

It's really too difficult to debate because I ignore your straw man arguments? At any rate, you'll remain vigilant in your belief that you are the poor downtrodden and Target is the almighty corporate greed monger. Hope your graduate degree works out for you.

For the record, my STL and ETL are both aware of my personal four year plan of which I have three years remaining. I've no intention of being an ETL. Nor do I have any intention of getting my nod in Red Magazine.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's really too difficult to debate because I ignore your straw man arguments? At any rate, you'll remain vigilant in your belief that you are the poor downtrodden and Target is the almighty corporate greed monger. Hope your graduate degree works out for you.

For the record, my STL and ETL are both aware of my personal four year plan of which I have three years remaining. I've no intention of being an ETL. Nor do I have any intention of getting my nod in Red Magazine.

Haha, you start the discussion down the road of loyalty and Target's benefit package then call me out as making straw man arguments? That's rich.

But Target cannot offer those benefits at no cost. It's not fairy dust to offer insurance or paid vacation or sick leave. It's $$$. Yes, I know that it's poopie to work on Holidays. My family has done it for years. My dh works 364 days a year.

I know it's money.
In fact it's a lot of money but Target makes a lot of money.
If they chose to use it to invest in their employees, rather than buying back their stock, supporting race cars, paying outrageous salaries to the CEO's or expanding into another country, I think they would see a marked improvement in sales, loyalty and quality of employees.
In fact the entire vibe would be amazing.

I've worked for small businesses where they were open all the time.
But they were a family operation and at the end of the day, dinner was cooked, wine was opened and the entire staff sat down and ate together.
Your power went out, the boss let you sleep on his couch.
That is a different world from Spot.

Last edited:
I'm the only one working so I'm in a stranglehold.
Not much of my dignity left so I work crazy hrs 'cause even crazy hrs are better than NO hrs.

or loosing your job over because the consumer wants to blow their money THAT day and can't even wait until their turkey has been digested.

Tonight a whole group of SF guys said lets all call of on BF see how ticked the LODS would be can you see the faces?? Priceless! I wanted to turn around and say yea priceless when you all get the can tied to your foot!

What I am dong is signing the online petition and as soon as christmas is over looking for a new job. All this walking out, calling in blah blah is pointless because there is way to many people who don't see that this is just a small sample of how far Target is willing to go.

Everyone says "oh it's retail, you should expect to work on holidays." Why should I expect something that has never happened before? This is the first year they will be open on Thanksgiving, so no I should not expect that. I should expect that the holiday season sucks but not working on a holiday like Thanksgiving. Just wait, next year Christmas trees will be up after labor day, the store will be open all day on Thanksgiving, and they will be open on Christmas to welcome stupid guests that want to return stupid presents before the wrapping paper has even hit the floor.

I am.
At least four of our best cashiers are.

One cashier is scheduled on Thursday...8:45pm to 1:45am. Then she has to return on Friday morning for a shift that starts at 8:am and goes until 2:00pm. Talk about getting screwed for the weekend schedule. Oh.....add to this short shift time turnaround...Her drive time is a 45 minute commute. She'll get maybe three hours of sleep before having to come back for her Friday shift.

Out of all the people who are complaining about about us opening at 9, who here is actually working on Thursday?

I work into 2:30 in the morning or whenever we get done. One TM i talked today works 3pm-2:30am wednesday into thursday then has to open electronics at 9pm thursday. Its more the principal of it even if I am not working opening black friday.

Back