I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

FYI: Target has a "no harassment policy" when it comes to TM's calling in. The LOD is in no way supposed to make you feel guilty or as if there will be consequences for calling in. Frankly, you are not even required to give them a reason as long as you inform them you will not be there for your scheduled shift.
Now with that being said, one should really consider their co-workers they affect when doing so. See, I work Instocks, and I know that when just one person on my team calls in, that day is very rough to say the least. So don't just call in if you are feeling tired that day. But don't ever feel intimidated by the LOD while calling in because they are not allowed to hassle you about it and they know it.

Is that true even today? Sorry to revive an older thread but this is something I genuinely worry about as a new TM. I would like to lament I never like to call out and I don't like to be the person dragging the team down, infact, in my short time with Target I've covered shifts for people who called in for FA and the LOD was really nice to me in doing so. I am someone who comes in sick rather than calling out but this time it is different.

Since my hire about fifty-sixty days ago I have called in twice. The first time for starting flu symptoms that I nursed with counter meds and now another time where I've been vomiting/stomach flu symptoms that got worse from the first incident; with reasonable knowledge I could not stand cashier without making quite a scene/causing guest/peer sickness. I did get different meds, but I didn't bother with an paper note-- completely forgot in fact since most places don't accept them. However both times I told the LOD, and made them aware I was seeking treatment-- even if they seemed kind of testy about it.

Is there any kind of discipline in order for this?

I was planning on taking a day off in about three weeks for family time, but since taking two sick days I don't feel like I'll ask for it. I want to be a team player in the highest sense.

As odd as this sounds, I am quite fearful of the higher ups and the 'punishments' they can give me as the newbie on the team or in general. So I make it a priority to not ask for anything/bother anyone if I need it. However, if discipline regards store hours or retraining or anything like that-- I can deal, but I don't want to be dismissed.

Last edited:
They are not supposed to make you feel bad for calling out but if you are committed to the job, to your team, your store how can one not feel the guilt if you call out. I say that knowing how I would feel if I called out. It would be me making me feel this way though. I rarely call out.

I am just a TM but I am responsible for a specific area. I have a few people on my team that call out all the time it's like they know how far they can push it without getting a coaching, they stop, give it time and start up again. They feel no guilt and seem to have no care that the area will struggle because they call out. The good thing about them being on my team is I have different hours them. I don't have to see them. If I did I don't know that I would be able to not show frustration. I am human and have a dedication to my job. I guess if I had to hide it because I was told to I would but that would be because it was my job.

Oh no. If they tried to do that to me they'd catch hell. Call outs for me are rarer than hens teeth. I called out two days in a row this year for the flu, and that was it so far this year, and I don't forsee any callouts in the future. I realize exactly how it affects other employees, because most of the time I'm the one effected by the lazy employees that just don't want to come in.

I had to call out for 5 shifts in a row, and felt really, really bad about it. They were nice and understanding and all, but I know my meager raise will suffer greatly for it.

If I was ever asked that question, I'd say, "Well, once they're laying in bed as sick as I am, they'll wish that I would have called out."
Calling out 5 shifts in a row with the flu sucked, especially after I saw what it did to the two resulting paychecks. Wally does offer sick time, but only to full-time employees, which I am not. So I immediately filed my tax return so I could get my refund.
Yes, I understand about being there to help the team, but there comes a point where you're hurting them and not helping by working, especially when you're contagious.

The "guilt trip" is actually included in the coaching form examples. "when you call out, other team members have to do your work" etc etc.

I was going to quote another post and mention how they aren't allowed to ask you why you are calling out but then i saw this quote and LOL'd. I know for a FACT that NO ONE will do my work when I am out. Heck, I'm lucky if the POG team will put up their backer paper if I am not there! Now, for four years - I take a vacation once a year for a week, at the same time every year. Every time - I go over all the work I have to get done and separate that from what can get done when get back, or early before I leave. I make a packet detailing what needs to get done while I'm out, all the who/what/where staging, everything - even a list of who is trained to do it and how many hours they'll need to be scheduled. EVERY TIME, my hardlines ETL *****es about something that I know can wait should get done while I'm out - so I add that to my already complete plan and guess what!? Not ONE THING gets done! EVER! In three years zip, zilch, nada! I know this the whole time that nothing will happen, but I play the game, but in the end it has proved that really, no one will do my work if I call out.

Just the other day an ETL told me that top performers get the most hours and looking at the schedule you can tell.
Also, I did notice a cart attendant who had a past problem with attendance getting way more hours then the other cart attendants but since then he has been showing up on time and it's kinda frustrating seeing him get all these hours and the rest of us struggling on pay.

One thing I wanted to say on this topic. Reliable and hard-working TMs DEFINITELY get more hours at my current store. I am one of them and I get 38 hrs every week, even when many other TMs were getting their hours cut during the slow January and February months. I consistently got 38 hours every week. I have only called off three times in almost two years and I work my butt off every time I come into work. I am scheduled as a GSA twice a week but Spot won't promote me to GSA until I "prove that I can be a GSTL" first, because GSA is supposed to be a "transitionary" role at my store. Although, in my two years, not one GSA has been promoted to GSTL. On a second note, we also have never had a female GSTL and have had about 9 male GSTLs, all the while have three female GSAs and one male GSA. Anyways, I believe most TLs will give you more hours if you work hard and are reliable.

Just the other day an ETL told me that top performers get the most hours and looking at the schedule you can tell.
Also, I did notice a cart attendant who had a past problem with attendance getting way more hours then the other cart attendants but since then he has been showing up on time and it's kinda frustrating seeing him get all these hours and the rest of us struggling on pay.

I heard it was against policy to reward top performers with more hours or preferential treatment. I am not saying it does not happen but I heard it is not supposed to.

I heard it was against policy to reward top performers with more hours or preferential treatment. I am not saying it does not happen but I heard it is not supposed to.

Of course it happens. All the time. :dash2:

Since corporate won't schedule anything close to reasonable hours to keep the stores "brand" according to their own (unreasonable) expectations, it takes a lot of nerve for them to try to make TMs feel guilty that the 'team' will suffer because they need to call out.

The team is already suffering because of corporate's greed even when there are no call outs. Morale can't get much lower than it already is.

Actually that is a great way to push good workers out. Yes having more hours is great and having better treatment is great, but it's horrible when you and only a small handful of workers actually do work as opposed to the rest of the team. It causes burnout and people end up leaving for other jobs.

I see that happening by the summer time at my store.

I wonder what Spot would have thought about my ETL-LOG who admitted at a huddle that he did this. My ETL-HR was not happy when I mentioned that at a chat session when one of the other TMs at the chat session mentioned that there seemed to be TMs who got more hours than others. I felt bad for throwing my ETL-LOG under the bus like that, but I didn't know the ETL-HR wouldn't like what I said.

I'm ok with this, within reason mind you. Not top performers getting more, but rather the legitimately bad employees that are a stones throw away from getting fired getting less. Most of the people at my store work hard, and really it's anybody's game for the top performer spot because we all work hard enough to earn it. It just grinds me gears when the few bad employees call out every week and waste hours that could have gone to the rest of us. I've made top performer more than once, but would still rather see the hours go to the hard workers that haven't but work at spot as their only job and have families to support. I need the money for college, but I won't starve if I'm not constantly at 40 hours. They could easily chop the bad employees loose and it would have little impact on the rest of us since the bad employees rarely show up anyway, and when they do, it's not like they help much with the work load.

Sure. Also, lollipops grow like weeds everywhere and the world has a rosy pink sheen. That's never how it works in the real world.

Plus, you're a PA -- you're pretty much guaranteed full time if your store has a decent food culture.

Now, I gotta go and push the 20 some tubs on the line cos 80% of the sales floor called in. I could be in the freezer right now back stocking last Fridays truck but nooo, ****ing teenagers.

In stores like my old one where GSA is a cheap gstl, gsas are pretty much guaranteed full time all year long.

I really don't give a ****. If I feel I can't drive to work at 330am in the morning, I'm calling in, especially I work Logistics Backroom.

In stores like my old one where GSA is a cheap gstl, gsas are pretty much guaranteed full time all year long.

That is the same situation at my store. Not only that, I am applying to be the GSA knowing full well that I do not prefer that job over working at Guest Services. I am currently being given two GSA shifts a week but they don't feel like even paying me to do that. I really feel like Spot is letting me down when they won't give me a minimal raise to do a job that requires a lot more sacrifice. Also, the GSTLs at my store would fully tell you that one of the GSAs at our store does more work than any of them. Only 1 GSTL can say he does almost the same amount of work as one of our GSAs.

Thanks everyone for posting in this thread. You really gave me a lot of different perspectives with calling in. Right now it's being frowned upon because I've called in twice during my first 90-- but if I didn't have the virus as bad as I did I would have never done so. Right now it wasn't about the hours with me..about the most I want is 30 right now and they're giving me more than that.

Honestly I feel horrible when they call and ask if I can cover a shift and I can't, but I try whenever possible. Does this earn you any 'points' with Spot?

Thankfully a LOD on staff witnessed how bad I was feeling and was able to explain I wasn't calling out for giggles and happy funtime.

I really can't blame anyone for calling out. For a job where most people are not even breaking $12k/year, there's no point in having any loyalty. Most of the jobs in the store are mindless toil in the presence of what equates to middle school bullies, adult children crying about not getting their way, and forced upon vitamin d deficiency due to a severe lack of sunlight.

I do feel bad for my fellow TMs, but they do understand.

but do i feel bad for my GSTL?

Not until they treat me like a human being, instead of $8/hr redcard generating machines.

So I just no called no showed for the 3rd time, the last time was 15 months ago ( I was on a final for that). So based on what I had been told then/ read on here today. Am i right in assuming that I won't be terminated since I'm no longer on a final? Or will I since this is my 3rd?

If it was 15 months ago, you should be fine. The final warning lasts for 12 months, so you are 90 days past the timeline. That being said, you might get put on a new set of corrective action.

Back