I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

One guy called in sick.

Then he walked into the store, drunk as a skunk, and purchased a set of headphones and proceeded to thank me four times.

Every day when the alarm goes off I think of a great excuse to call out..then get out of bed to go to work. I call out when I have sick kids, nothing can be done about that so I try to call out as little as possible so I have banked time in case some thing happens.

My store doesn't call at all. It surprises me because it seems like the decent thing to do. You never know if something is wrong and at least then you know, especially if the person won't be in for a few shifts and can't call in.
My old store would call, though.

This is actually not a good practice, and is actually against company policy. There are a few reasons for this:
1) It would be impossible to ensure that all tms that NCNS are called. Therefore, there is the risk of showing favortism to those that are called vs. those that are not called. Not a good idea. If there are great performers that we call and not the poor performers, it would not be ethical.
2) Makes it impossible to hold people accountable. If you call someone, then now have the ability to make up a reason to not come to work. This turns an unexcused NCNS, into an excuse absence. This is unfair to the people are showed up to work and are trying hard.

One of the things with a NCNS is that if you don't call in before two hours prior to your shift, you still get marked as a NCNS. Say that you have to be in at 8am.....you have to call at six. There are days when you don't feel well and decide that you'll wait until the alarm rings to decide if you'll go in.....but you usually don't set the clock for two hours before you go in.

This has already been discussed in another post, but you shouldn't be counted as a NCNS if you call within 2 hours of your shift start. Think about the wording of "No Call, No Show". How you can be NCNS if you call? You have up until 2 hours after your shift starts. I have seen this in writing before. Find it and show it to your HR. I refuse to believe something like this is up to the discretion of the store.

Jeeze, everyone at my store just says they're "sick". I've never heard any entertaining excuses (although a LOT of our flow/BR TMs called out on 4/20 a few years ago, lol).

One of the things with a NCNS is that if you don't call in before two hours prior to your shift, you still get marked as a NCNS. Say that you have to be in at 8am.....you have to call at six. There are days when you don't feel well and decide that you'll wait until the alarm rings to decide if you'll go in.....but you usually don't set the clock for two hours before you go in.
Or, if you are on your way to work and there's a car accident, or you have car issues, then it is too late to call in....and even if you do (to say that you are on your way) you still will be marked as coming in late. So, sometimes I can easily see why people don't call in.

Often, at my store someone will call off but the LOD may forget to tell anyone else that a TM called off. Sometimes we don't know that someone called off until they don't show up for their shift.....and then we ask if anyone knows about "TM X" and the LOD says, "Oh, I forgot to tell you that X called off.

This is wrong information. You have until 2 hours past the start of your shift to inform them that you are not coming in.
I can see having a NCNS once (honest mistake and wrote schedule wrong, power went out for a 4am shift and no alarm, jail while headed to work, etc) but 3 in 15 months? That's, that's so sad I don't know what to call it.

I've been at Target for 8 years. Called in twice cause I was sick. But ...

One year during inventory, I was scheduled to work overnight to help out with SKU checks, etc. I had done it numerous times before and found it boring. So, I called off. I just said, "I won't be in to work tonight for personal reasons." It was personal. I didn't want to be there.

what's with being "sick" it's an automated system,at least at DC's, you just cal and say you will not be in and give 'em your return date.

I can see having a NCNS once (honest mistake and wrote schedule wrong, power went out for a 4am shift and no alarm, jail while headed to work, etc) but 3 in 15 months? That's, that's so sad I don't know what to call it.
I do: pathetic.

hi everyone.
So i have been getting sick hours and vacation hours recently. im at a decent amount of sick hours and i was wondering how it works. i know how vacation time works but i cant figure out how sick hours work. i thought if i got sick and called in, they would just add it to my paycheck but when i called in once because of sickness, it wasnt added in my paycheck and the hours went up instead of decreasing. Anyone know how it works? I have no personal hours. just sick hours and vac hours if that helps.

You need to tell them to use the sick hours they don't do it automatically.

No, you do it later on the paper hours request form that the HRninjaTm will get for you.
That's also how you can use your vacation time when they cut your hours on bad weeks.

You may still be able to put in for sick time for the day you missed even though that pay period has passed. It would be put in a future check. Ask a HRTM.

i got maybe a whole months worth of sick and van hours that i never used once, i could pretty much take a whole month of work off and get paid for it, which is pretty f**king awesome if you think about it...but, im not a poor sap who gets paid to do nothing.

Well this is odd... No sick hours at spot for me.... But Wally did give sick hours. Same state and county, just different cities...

I have personal holiday hours...only the ETLs in my district and the one nearby get actual sick days.

My allergies have been killing me rendering me practically useless on flow. My body aches, I'm exhausted, I basically can't function right now. I tried going today but I couldn't do anything efficiently so I asked if I could head home early. I'm wondering how many days off I can take to get better? I'm afraid that If I ask to take the rest of the week off I'll run the risk of getting fired. I always feel guilty calling off but I really need to at the moment.

Back