I'm Lost! The Call In/Sick/Late/NCNS/Attendance Thread

Pleaaaase try to give lots of notice when calling in as an open cashier, if you do that. It's a pain in the but to have the only opening cashier call in with no time to tine a replacement.

I didn't call in today, and I only worked til 1:15 so I stuck it out. I still feel like crap and I have to close tomorrow too, but I made it through today.

Haha thanks! I've been meaning to pick up some tea or soup but my foggy sick brain keeps forgetting.

I've been working at Target for a few months now as a TPS. I'm not feeling very well at all. My throat is in a lot of pain which makes me sound awful when I try and talk. I'm sneezing a lot, tearing up, bad headache. I was just wondering if its a good idea to call out or to just go in and tough it out? One of my core roles as a TPS is to greet people at the entrance and offer guests assistance in locating things. Would it really be okay to go in my condition?

I have worked at Target for about 5 months. I am an early morning logistics tm and from May to about September I worked 4 days a week. From about September to now I work only Friday. I have called in sick about 3 other times since I started and I called in sick this morning because I have a fever. My TL said that he is going to print up my attendance record and take a look at it. What does this mean? What is targets sick policy?

You call in at least 2 hours before your shift. Since you have 3 call outs already, your attendance is under review. Spot will take a doctors note depending on your store leadership. In my state, we have no sick leave with spot.

If you want to continue being employed by Spot but know that you are going to have long-term medical issues, you should consider taking a personal/medical leave. In a nut shell, you fill out a form from HR citing the dates and reason (if u want) that you'll be gone, and that's it. Theres no guarantee your position will be there when you return, but they will find another role for you if need be. And trust me, as a TM there are always positions available for filling. Its not that difficult.

They cut you to one day? Sounds worrying to me. Unless you're contagious or on the verge of vomiting, I don't really see a reason to call in.

They cut you to one day? Sounds worrying to me. Unless you're contagious or on the verge of vomiting, I don't really see a reason to call in.
This. Not to sound harsh, but suck it up. There's many times where I've felt like s*** but still went to work. And I know everyone here could say the same.

Then someone you're working with gets sick and pretty soon half the store has the flu. Or that elderly woman you cashed out groceries for ends up dying because her immune system wasn't strong enough to handle your infection.

This. Not to sound harsh, but suck it up. There's many times where I've felt like s*** but still went to work. And I know everyone here could say the same.

Then someone you're working with gets sick and pretty soon half the store has the flu. Or that elderly woman you cashed out groceries for ends up dying because her immune system wasn't strong enough to handle your infection.

Store side they never will outright say it but they don't care they want you to come in. If you already have a few absences what else can you do...sit there and let yourself be termed? It's not like leadership will care, even when they say they do it's still in your file.

yes, please don't come in if you are actually sick.

When I would coach TMs about their attendance I would always word it so it didn't sound like I was berating them for calling out... but to advise them to watch the frequency. Basically, you don't want to build up such a pattern of call outs that the time you are REALLY sick and can't get out of bed, that's the one that gets you a corrective action.

You're the most contagious when you have no symptoms, so should we never work, just stay in our caves? I can always find a reason to call out. But since I want to keep my job, I don't. Ever.

When I was GSA, I came in no matter how rotten I felt/looked.
Working at FA & SB, that doesn't fly.
If I'm coughing/hacking or blowing my nose, etc I can NOT be around food. We had a guy coached for working at FA & refusing to go home until an ETL ordered him to. He was desperate for hrs but leadership said he couldn't jeopardize the health of guests & fellow TMs.

It's tough. I rarely called out for illness, and I'd be at work, even if I was curled up in pain from lady problems behind the (old) guest service counter.

The last time I called out was about six weeks before I quit, and I couldn't help it...I had been throwing up all day and there was no way I was going to close. The STL was closing and begged me to come in...there was NO way I was. She even had me call back 2 more times that night and each time I told her no. I felt guilty, but I was so sick.

I did call out once to attend a state championship game, and I have no regrets. I even told my TL that before I left. Work at Target or see my brother play in the tournament? Not a difficult choice. :)

Hello fellow Target TMs. I was wondering what number do you call for a callout? Is there an 800 number or do you just call your store's number. My shift is scheduled at 8am and I need to know soon. Much thanks!

Call your store and if it's after hours make sure and stay on the line. If someone is still in the store it should make the nightbell go off and someone should answer.

I'm not sure if it's the same policy at all targets, but at mine they always wanted you to call out 2 hours prior to your shift.

I never call out for being sick. A HL TL came in the other day, clearly sick, so I don't think Target cares unless you're unable to work. If you're sick, at the very least, treat the symptoms, dracula cough/sneeze, wash your hands, and carry tissues.

To the OP: It all depends on how much your store cares about your attendance as others have said. At my store, you just call in and tell them you are not coming in. They want it done at least 2 hours before your shift starts. If they detect a pattern of calling out, they can coach you. If you feel like you cant make through your shift, come to work, show them how sick you are and leave.

Sort of related and off topic, I sprained my thumb. As of right now, it still hurts to grip with my thumb. Doctor said along with soaking my thumb in warm water, I should avoid lifting anything more than 2 pounds for the next 2 weeks. My doctor didn't give me a brace.

Now, i need hours as most people do and I cant afford to not work for 2 weeks. I have a note if needed. Any advice on what to do?

When this happened to me, I bought a thumb brace at Walgreens and wore it to work. I didn't say anything about going to a doctor, I just said my thumb hurts and this helps. It took a YEAR to stop hurting without the brace but it did stop. I think I did it sticking my thumb in the tops of boxes to get them open, need to open from the sides.

So here's a brief introduction.

I'm a girl working in Softlines. I'm still under my 90 days (I'm at about 80 days right now since I started in August). I like the job so far even though it's pretty stressful, and the higher ups seem to like how I work. Yesterday, I was picked as team member of the month for "Walk the Vibe" and I also volunteered to work an extra shift last night because someone didn't show up. I have one No Call No Show from August when I first started working, because of some confusion with the shift swap board. A TL talked to me about it but said it was okay because I didn't know.

Today, over two months after the first NCNS, I woke up feeling really, really sick. I know that the policy is to call in two hours before your shift, but at this point in time it was already about time for my shift to start. I called and told the LOD what was up, and she was unhappy, but said okay.

My question now is, does it count as a NCNS because I didn't call two hours before my shift started? I have no absences aside from the ones I've mentioned. Is my job in jeopardy, despite being told by so many people that I'm doing a great job? I'm really worried.

Back