Archived The official I hate my boss thread

• Thread starter Barcode
  • Start date
  • Replies 115
  • Views 21K
Status
Not open for further replies.
IS IT THAT ****ING HARD TO TREAT YOUR TEAM MEMBERS LIKE ADULTS?
*aside from the barely legal kids who spend their whole shift hungover and flirting with each other.

Fraid so, when you're not really trained to do so and you have just about zip life experience (and it seems in many cases to have been hired for having zero empathy).

Yeah, it seems like what dignity our old leadership had is gone... Now we are pretty much treated like children, and the GSTL is the teacher.

As far as dignity goes in leadership at our store, i think there's 3 TLs, one ETL, and the STL that I respect. Most everyone else is too busy self aggrandizing or doing some sort of 'OH BOY I HAS A FULL TIME JOB LET ME ALIENATE MYSELF FROM TEH TEAM' thing going on. Seriously new ETL-Transfer? Calling a GSA 'worthless?!' I hope you choke on those damn take-out food leftovers you leave in the breakroom. You pompus sack of cow ****.

I greatly enjoy my STL sitting in the break room eating with their walkie turned off during the busiest time of the day. Then when they are finished stuffing their face, they come out and freak about "Why are there lines?"

I don't know.....I don't know...

well it's not only at stores, the "leadership" at DC's is really useless. My GL who i give him credit has been with the company for 12 years still thinks he's an operational GL. E&F is different, The only time production plans matter at all is if they impact our PM's! I mean it's not rocket science to remind other GL's that yes we have equipment, but it IS NOT SPARE! It's there so if it's busy a piece can be loaned out to the operational department that broke there's until we fix it! And for crying out loud I know you have to document every single stupid interaction we have, do me a favor and go read my damn file, then maybe you'd know my thoughts on some of the stupid things you do and i wouldn't have to get upset about them! Hey here's another totally unbrand and unrealistic idea, when the guy that's spent years working on industrial batteries tells you something, he's not trying to sell you batteries, he just doesn't want to waste the time screwing with them when you kill them!

please note at present i do not have a high opinion of Target or it's "leadership"

Yep, that's exactly how my last closing night went. Cool, 4 people in soft lines and 3 in hard lines (for 6 department blocks). Thanks LOD for all the understanding.

Ya for xmas eve they had 3 people and an operator and im pretty sure they finished all of their zone...Hardlines...probably about HALF of it got done tonight for the zone. For market I barely got into dry market since I had to help a guest literally ever 2 minutes. Got coolers, freezers, pfresh and back wall market done though. Not bad conisdering my opener decided they were just going to leave 2 hours before they were supposed to get off for some reason, they never told me why just when I was walking to the time clock, "oh hi ----, im clocking out" me- "um, ok, I guess??? (puzzled look)"

Last edited:
To my STL,

Way to come in like a raging bull today and dampen everyone's spirits. Telling your team that basically they suck is a wonderful thing to do. Just because your ass is about to land on the street because of your own arrogance doesn't mean you should come in and ruin your employee's day. These people have worked hard while you've hidden payroll to fatten your check. We've gotten ripped new ones by guests that are angry we only have 2 cashiers in the middle of the day a week before Christmas. We've been the only one on the floor having to split time between electronics and front end backup while still completing the tons of pulls. We've been stretched to the bone and stressed to the max, and the one day where we feel we can enjoy our work, you come in and ruin it. This is why you are ineffective. This is why the hotline has been called so many times. This is why we're not making sales. This is why our store is doing poorly in every single area. You should never have been given this position, and I know you know that. But don't tell your team that they're worthless when they're ringing up $35k hours while you sit on your ass eating fast food. Go take a leadership class for Christmas.

My ETL is a constant blame-shifter, she is mean-spirited and I dare not rehash any specific incidences (though I have manyyyyy) for fear of giving up my anonymity. All I will say is that things go better when contact between is us minimal. I prefer for her to just stay the hell out of what I'm doing. I also refuse to speak with the STL, ETL-HR or anyone else about it because I don't trust a single one of them. So I'm stuck.

I prefer for all executives to stay out my work center (which of course is impossible) because not a single one of them seems to have the slightest clue what presentation is or does or needs to be successful. I try to be a buffer between the ETL team and pog team members for their own sake because the expectations of what they can do are unreasonable at best, ridiculous at times. I occasionally get what I need only by being an utter jerk, further damaging the relationship between myself and upper management.

We are not magicians. We need sales floor/back room support, adequate hours and space to complete our work. If we don't get that, then in their minds the only reason for what went wrong is that my team is lazy or I am stupid, which is ALMOST never the case (though we do all have our days). They are some of the hardest working people in our store. I predict that I will not be around long-term. they will likely go through a few PTL/PATLs before they see.

My ETL is a constant blame-shifter, she is mean-spirited and I dare not rehash any specific incidences (though I have manyyyyy) for fear of giving up my anonymity. All I will say is that things go better when contact between is us minimal. I prefer for her to just stay the hell out of what I'm doing. I also refuse to speak with the STL, ETL-HR or anyone else about it because I don't trust a single one of them. So I'm stuck.

I prefer for all executives to stay out my work center (which of course is impossible) because not a single one of them seems to have the slightest clue what presentation is or does or needs to be successful. I try to be a buffer between the ETL team and pog team members for their own sake because the expectations of what they can do are unreasonable at best, ridiculous at times. I occasionally get what I need only by being an utter jerk, further damaging the relationship between myself and upper management.

We are not magicians. We need sales floor/back room support, adequate hours and space to complete our work. If we don't get that, then in their minds the only reason for what went wrong is that my team is lazy or I am stupid, which is ALMOST never the case (though we do all have our days). They are some of the hardest working people in our store. I predict that I will not be around long-term. they will likely go through a few PTL/PATLs before they see.

THIS. You have said it succintly, I would say you sound just like my Plano TL and work at my store, except I have gone through 4 in the last year. I'm afraid I'm not going to be around much longer either (same situation as you). But I totally empathize with where you are coming from, and understand, because I've had to fill in for the PTL, when we were in between PTLs. Fun when they cut the hours needed to do Plano in half, and then scream about why it isn't done, and the team is *****ing about not being able to get the workload done and how upper management is treating them. Loved being in between upper management and the team...so much stress.

As long as Target continues to think a college degree and cheerful interview demeanor is what it takes to be a etl, this is going to continue.

I long for the days when they promoted talented merchants with excellent people skills into the etl positions. Those were the executives that built this company, but 80% of the children (giddy with the title "executive) they hire now are breaking it down.

Dear etl who just called the team lazy;

Come work beside us as we face the challenge of attempting to quickly find homes for tons of 1st mark down clearance and no where to put it without killing recently set salesplanners. Show us how its done.

Come work beside us when we aren't allowed a PDA because the other work centers need them more. Show us how to tie, drop, empty, pull, set, fill & backstock within a certain time without this equipment. Please, show us how to do it.

Don't give a shout out to plano for a lot of hard work this week at huddles. We don't need a 10 for 1 thank you. Put down the clipboard, and walk into the aisle, where we are working furiously to meet a seemingly unobtainable goal, actually make eye contact and say thank you, face to face. Acknowledge how hard our job is and how you appreciate that we pull off miracles.

Come work with the ptl, show her what YOUR plan is when you decide to scrub hers the night before a major set. Don't just tell her to figure it out because it has to happen.
Show her how its done.

You don't have time(or ability) to do any of this??

Then never, ever be the one to call the plano team LAZY or STUPID.

itsbeenabadweek

Don't give a shout out to plano for a lot of hard work this week at huddles. We don't need a 10 for 1 thank you. Put down the clipboard, and walk into the aisle, where we are working furiously to meet a seemingly unobtainable goal, actually make eye contact and say thank you, face to face. Acknowledge how hard our job is and how you appreciate that we pull off miracles.

Come work with the ptl, show her what YOUR plan is when you decide to scrub hers the night before a major set. Don't just tell her to figure it out because it has to happen.
Show her how its done.

I feel as though you are speaking directly from my soul with this piece! haha. my meticulously thought out plan doesnt work for you? but you dont want to tell me why? or ask why i did it that way? or offer any better suggestions? no biggie, ETL-HL, and thanks for the super short notice, i.e. e-mailing me MONDAY MORNING that my plan for MONDAY needs to be completely re-arranged and not giving any reason for that so that i might come up with alternative and intelligent solutions. when things blow apart im sure you'll know just who to blame.

She only ever interacts with TMs to offer negative comments. Nothing positive has ever come from her mouth as far as I have heard. Luckily no one seems to really value her opinion and she only has a couple more months left at our store!

Man ranting feels good.

My Gosh, this sounds like my STL...and my etl...and just about every team lead. I swear I cannot please anybody. Either I don't work fast enough, or I don't do it correctly or something. I try to nod and let it roll of my back but it's getting hard going into work.

"I wonder what I 'll do wrong today..." :hmm:

My favorite is when they call me out in huddles or over the walkie!

My TL is coming up on 18 months, so I hope to god they transfer them asap.

This isn't so much a hate thing, just an observation and a question.
Does anyone else find it interesting that Spot seems to go out of its way to make sure that a high percentage of their ETL's don't have children?
When a 20 something ETL (who is younger than my oldest daughter) is telling one of my coworkers how they 'understand' about her concerns about her sick kids but leaving in the middle of her shift is 'problematic', I really have issues.

This isn't so much a hate thing, just an observation and a question.
Does anyone else find it interesting that Spot seems to go out of its way to make sure that a high percentage of their ETL's don't have children?
When a 20 something ETL (who is younger than my oldest daughter) is telling one of my coworkers how they 'understand' about her concerns about her sick kids but leaving in the middle of her shift is 'problematic', I really have issues.
Bad etl!

As long as Target continues to think a college degree and cheerful interview demeanor is what it takes to be a etl, this is going to continue.

I long for the days when they promoted talented merchants with excellent people skills into the etl positions. Those were the executives that built this company, but 80% of the children (giddy with the title "executive) they hire now are breaking it down.

Dear etl who just called the team lazy;

Come work beside us as we face the challenge of attempting to quickly find homes for tons of 1st mark down clearance and no where to put it without killing recently set salesplanners. Show us how its done.

Come work beside us when we aren't allowed a PDA because the other work centers need them more. Show us how to tie, drop, empty, pull, set, fill & backstock within a certain time without this equipment. Please, show us how to do it.

Show her how its done.

itsbeenabadweek

TOT, i think i love you. will you come be my etl? :excited:

This thread makes me extra afraid our current STL may be transferring....

It rarely happens, but you never know...your new STL could be way better.

Not possible. This man is not afraid to go out and get carts as needed, for Pete's sake. He cares enough to ask the college students how school is going, and does what he can to keep morale up. He is serious when he needs to be and fun when it is appropriate. He backs up his team, and recognizes our hard work.

He's at 18 months, so we fear it is time. I will be so sad.

To the LOD, thank you for giving me a giant to-do list when I have other projects I'm in the middle of. And I am supposed to leave in 20 minutes. Helping me out with one thing would have taken you five minutes, but instead you continue to walk around the store and talk, doing absolutely f-ing nothing. Great leadership.

Last edited:
This thread makes me extra afraid our current STL may be transferring....

It rarely happens, but you never know...your new STL could be way better.

Not possible. This man is not afraid to go out and get carts as needed, for Pete's sake. He cares enough to ask the college students how school is going, and does what he can to keep morale up. He is serious when he needs to be and fun when it is appropriate. He backs up his team, and recognizes our hard work.

He's at 18 months, so we fear it is time. I will be so sad.

sounds like the STL my store had when i first came on. He was awesome and he still comes in quite often and goes around saying hi to everyone. Gone out for drinks with him a couple of times too. Just a great guy all around. We were all really scared of the STL coming in and while he's not quite as good he's pretty cool too. We're all still adjusting and some big changes have happened all around the store since he's come. I think as we all kind of settle we'll like him just as much.

To our SLETL...
Please keep your nose out of the weekend closing zone. If we think a wave zone is appropriate, than it probably is. If we feel like the zone list should be adjusted, I think we can take care of that, too. If you're LOD, shouldn't you be doing LOD things, anyway? You have no idea how to manage the zone because you've never worked the floor.

To the LOD, thank you for giving me a giant to-do list when I have other projects I'm in the middle of. And I am supposed to leave in 20 minutes. Helping me out with one thing would have taken you five minutes, but instead you continue to walk around the store and talk, doing absolutely f-ing nothing. Great leadership.

This!!

They like to give me a few jobs, then I get called up to the front for fast service a few times, have to answer a few call buttons, help some guest, the usual. Then they ask why the job never gets done. Hmmm. I don't know. Maybe you should get some more sales floor people for I can work on a project for more that 5 minutes at a time!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back