I'm Lost! The Target Dating Thread

Got a little bit of a thing for my STL.

I posted about her and I here on TBR before and I wasn't too thrilled about it at the time of my last post but damn it she's a little bit endearing in her mannerisms. It's hard to not like her.

I have a thing for a TM I work with. I don't know if he's gay or not but I get the impression that he might be. I've completely stopped talking to him as I get shy around him. Sigh.
saaaame yo. i mean i still talk to him and occasionally hang out but i'm pretty sure he's straight but he's sent me some questionable text messages so i'm just kind of riding along at this point

saaaame yo. i mean i still talk to him and occasionally hang out but i'm pretty sure he's straight but he's sent me some questionable text messages so i'm just kind of riding along at this point
The TM I work with is interesting to say the least. I could have sworn I saw him on a gay dating app a few years ago haha. I'm pretty sure he's gay but I try to avoid him at all costs. Making eye contact is the worse.

Officially dating a fellow TM. We've been best friends for a few years already before we both got hired on as seasonal last year and kept after New Year's. We keep it lowkey at work but its funny when we hang out alot on our breaks that coworkers mistakenly call me by his name. XD

Officially dating a fellow TM. We've been best friends for a few years already before we both got hired on as seasonal last year and kept after New Year's. We keep it lowkey at work but its funny when we hang out alot on our breaks that coworkers mistakenly call me by his name. XD
You look alike, that's why they call you by his name?

Just a thought, but has anyone ever wondered how their leadership feels in terms of dating and attraction?

I mean, yes, they are bound by Target rules, but they're still human nontheless.

I don't pry into other people's business at my Target, but I imagine it must be torture ( for a TL and above ) to be quite attracted to a TM and know it can't ever happen.

Our Food Service TL is really close with one our Starbucks barista's and everyone thinks they're lowkey dating. I've hinted to it outside of work and he gave me a look of "how the hell did you know?", so it's obvious he's doing something with her. I don't give a shit, but what gets me is that he's mid 20's and she's not even out of high school. It's one of those things where I know I should probably let it be, but it's causing problems within our food ave because she just so happens to get much more hours than some of the other TM's in that area.

I...kinda have a thing for one of our PAs. Wish he'd notice me and forget about other female tms. He's everything I would want in a boyfriend.

I've been dating one of our GSA's for almost two months now and everyone at my store seems to know except TL's and up. Doesn't sound like they'll care, as GSA's don't have a lot of authority in our store plus I'm moving to Backroom in a few weeks.

I've been dating one of our GSA's for almost two months now and everyone at my store seems to know except TL's and up. Doesn't sound like they'll care, as GSA's don't have a lot of authority in our store plus I'm moving to Backroom in a few weeks.

GSAs are allowed to date team members

Hey, so I am 17 and my ETL/LOD said she wants to make me a GSA, all the GSTL's and other GSA's agreed. They are going to set-up a interview for it(I have worked at my location[my first job] for about a year as a cashier and then switching to service desk). However, I am dating a cashier. My store doesn't know about it. Is this something I should tell them before the interview to become GSA? and also, would it be an issue? I would never be full GSTL, instead a mid-GSA because I am a minor and cannot sell alcohol. So there will always be another GSA or GSTL when I'm working. I don't want to end things with my girlfriend but I also want to become GSA as I think it would look really good on a resume in the future. Any response would be very helpful.

Hey, so I am 17 and my ETL/LOD said she wants to make me a GSA, all the GSTL's and other GSA's agreed. They are going to set-up a interview for it(I have worked at my location[my first job] for about a year as a cashier and then switching to service desk). However, I am dating a cashier. My store doesn't know about it. Is this something I should tell them before the interview to become GSA? and also, would it be an issue? I would never be full GSTL, instead a mid-GSA because I am a minor and cannot sell alcohol. So there will always be another GSA or GSTL when I'm working. I don't want to end things with my girlfriend but I also want to become GSA as I think it would look really good on a resume in the future. Any response would be very helpful.

There's no easy way around this. It becomes a conflict of interest if you're a GSA dating a cashier. She works for you now, and so do the rest of the cashiers. I had a whole post written up as to why, but I'll summarize it.

There's a very fine balance established in leaderships, where there is no bias, favoritism, and everyone is treated equally. You're expected to get the same amount of redcards/get coached on it, don't stand around and do nothing, keep your lane clean, help guests check out etc. If you one day caught Cashier 1, Cashier 2, Your Cashier Partner, and Cashier 4 standing around with extremely messy lanes and it's not busy, you tell them to stop talking and clean up their lanes and fill empties, while the other three cashiers got a particularly harsher talking to, your partner somehow escapes unscathed.

A cashier who feels he or she is treated unfairly will speak up about it, and blame you if after a while people start to notice, HR receives multiple complaints, they'll end up investigating.

It's just better if you don't date a cashier if you're gonna be a GSA. Breaking up won't do anything particularly good unless you guys part on really good terms, but if you guys just hate each other after you break up, how is work gonna be enjoyable together? Especially when you're his or her boss.

I really hate to shit all over you, man, I do, and I don't mean to, I'm just being honest from my POV. If you really want it still, mention it, be completely honest to whomever interviews you, and see what they say. At your age, it's hard to separate you guys between shifts because you're both in school and have limited availability and have to work around pretty much the same time (closing) unless you work on days he/she is off instead. That all just makes it harder than it has to be, though.

TL;DR I wouldn't, conflict of interest comes into play.

It becomes a conflict of interest if you're a GSA dating a cashier.

Actually it is not. Dont forget officially GSAs are not team leads, they are team members.

My old store we had a GSA dating a cashier and leadership shrugged.

That said I agree with @TTGOz It's not ideal. If you guys have a bad break up it would suck to have a cashier who hates your guts working under you.

I would not date someone from work until one of us moved on personally.

Last edited:
Actually it is not. Dont forget officially GSAs are not team leads, they are team members.

My old store we had a GSA dating a cashier and leadership shrugged.

That said I agree with @TTGOz It's not ideal. If you guys have a bad break up it would suck to have a cashier who hates your guts working under you.

I would not date someone from work until one of us moved on personally.

Is there like an actual official Target Policy regarding Conflict of Interest? If so, oops, didn't mean it in that sense lmao. I kind of just meant it introduces that certain bias towards the TM and when he or she does something wrong, she might not get punished or talked to like another cashier would.

Is there like an actual official Target Policy regarding Conflict of Interest? If so, oops, didn't mean it in that sense lmao. I kind of just meant it introduces that certain bias towards the TM and when he or she does something wrong, she might not get punished or talked to like another cashier would.

Yeah you can't report to a direct relative or a significant other.

Yep. GSA is fair game for anyone but their TL, a Sr, ETL and up, and AP.

I also think it depends on your store. My store puts a lot of responsibility on GSA's. This year one of my GSTLs got sick so it was only Me (GSA) and my other GSTL who could run the front. So I'm viewed more as a team lead (allowed to coach, invited to meetings, etc) and I definitely would not be allowed to date a front lanes TM

Worse comes to worse, one of you will probably be transferred.
But tbh I think it's possible to keep it a secret until the right time. My current boyfriend and I started dating when I was a cashier and he was a tps. I promoted to GSA shortly after and about 8 months later he promoted to APS and transferred to another store. We really didn't tell anyone because we both had promotions lined up and didn't want to risk that and everything turned out great tbh
If you don't think y'all can keep a secret, spill the beans.
If you do think you guys can keep it a secret, maybe don't say anything and get her to change departments. Like maybe she'll like softlines, ya know? Every couple is different, do what will be right for you two

I also think it depends on your store. My store puts a lot of responsibility on GSA's. This year one of my GSTLs got sick so it was only Me (GSA) and my other GSTL who could run the front. So I'm viewed more as a team lead (allowed to coach, invited to meetings, etc) and I definitely would not be allowed to date a front lanes TM

Worse comes to worse, one of you will probably be transferred.
But tbh I think it's possible to keep it a secret until the right time. My current boyfriend and I started dating when I was a cashier and he was a tps. I promoted to GSA shortly after and about 8 months later he promoted to APS and transferred to another store. We really didn't tell anyone because we both had promotions lined up and didn't want to risk that and everything turned out great tbh
If you don't think y'all can keep a secret, spill the beans.
If you do think you guys can keep it a secret, maybe don't say anything and get her to change departments. Like maybe she'll like softlines, ya know? Every couple is different, do what will be right for you two

My only issue with keeping secrets is people are still going to notice any sort of relations between TMs and get suspicious. Unless you guys can work and pretend to only work together and nothing else, good poker faces, it'd be hard I think.

Back