I'm Lost! The Target Dating Thread

As I put in earlier threads on the subject...

Dating inside the store only leads to STDs - STORE TEAM DRAMA

This just isn't universally true. Our old consumables TL dated a backroom TM and they have now been married for over 6 years and both managed to escape Target. In fact of all the Target relationships I have seen over the years only one has gone poorly and that was a TPS dating a regular TM.

Dude I think in general Buli is right... There are exceptions to the rule, but Target is really nothing more than real-world high school as far as relationships go. I've seen so many relationships crash and burn.... And the aftermath of course.

I know a guy in the district who's a SrTL and is best friends with an STL-IA. They party all the time with ETLs and even BPs and I know he crashes on her couch all the time

As I say time and time again. Not one store in my district has had any problems with anyone dating someone in AP. (ETL and Under) and No APTL to TM Relationships. HR did not get involved. I was weary at first. Its a non issue.

As a TL, I started dating a TM in a different work center. Unfortunately it still had the ETL's watching us every second we happened to pass by each other (my STL was actually really cool about it though), and affected my review for 2 years. I then was moved into position (with no say whatsoever) over the team she was on, and she was more or less forced out of the store (after getting two EX scores in her area, so this wasn't performance related). It was pretty rough and almost ended our relationship. All I can say to anyone dating anyone in-store is be careful.

When I was a GSA, I got involved with a cashier and it pretty much ruined my career at my last Target store. She was manipulative and kept trying to use me over and over though, so it was doomed from the start. Sure makes work awkward when you hate that person's guts and you have to supervise them everyday (oh the gray area of GSA dating Cashiers....) Just DONT DO IT!

Apparently at Walmart, it's OK for a support manager (Flow TL) to be married to a third shift associate. The store knew about this when they promoted her. They've been together far longer than the year they've been at the store but I'm wondering how that was allowed. I'm guessing Walmart doesn't have the same rules at Target because that would never fly at Target.

I've only been working at Target a few months, so forgive me. Shortly after I started, we got a new ETL and he and a TL directly under him would tell the cashiers stuff like "ask her if she/he likes me" And now I see them holding hands outside the front doors of the store and leaving together. Target allows ETLs to date TLs who are directly under them? Because my last job looked VERY harshly on that stuff and something like that would result in a demotion and transfer.

Definitely unprofessional, huge conflict of interest, and not allowed in best practice. General rule is anyone in a leadership position cannot date people whom they supervise. ETLs especially because having LOD shifts means you supervise the entire store at times so ETLs cannot date ant TMs or TLs, even dating other ETLs is frowned upon.

I've even seen TM's moved to another work center because their TL was a family member. If you feel comfortable with the HR or STL go to them, and there is always the hotline.

relationships at target most always end badly, friend. best to stay out of it. or watch from the shadows and take notes if you ever want some nice dirt on said person. rumors and hearsay spreads like wildfire at target.

I guess my outlook on it is, if it's not effecting you, why do you care? If there is blatant favoritism and "perks" then ok I get being irritated, but if they are professional at work and in work situations then why fault somebody for trying to be happy? Be happy for them. Don't be the bitter bear.

What if it's just sex and not dating? Does sex count as dating? I've always been curious to see a situation of two team members that are basically just screw buddies meaning that the only thing they do together is have sex. They don't love each other and don't date each other. Just sex.

I keep picturing a candlelit trail of hastily-discarded red and khakis leading to a two-backed beast on a futon.

What if it's just sex and not dating? Does sex count as dating? I've always been curious to see a situation of two team members that are basically just screw buddies meaning that the only thing they do together is have sex. They don't love each other and don't date each other. Just sex.

The problem is it's never "just sex." There's always some kind of emotions involved. I know, I've been there. No we weren't officially dating, but that doesn't mean it didn't hurt when he did start dating someone. This is especially true if the protection fails and she winds up pregnant. That didn't happen to me but it could.
If it's two team members, the store shouldn't care unless there's harassment or other such behavior happening.

Back