I'm Lost! The Target Dating Thread

The Dating Guide!

I was weirdly bored today and see so many questions on this board (and in my own store actually...) about what is allowed and who can date who. Disclaimer though...anything is technically possible depending on who you know and what HR will allow pending investigation. However most of it is pretty black and white.

If you are a.....

Team Member - Non AP/HR/GSA/Perishables Asst

Completely Okay! Go For It!

• Dating another non AP/HR/GSA/Perishables Asst Team Member
  • Dating any TM/TL/ETL at another store
  • Dating a TL at your store that is not your direct supervisor - i.e. Cashier dating Logistics TL
  • Dating contract TMs such as Beauty Concierge or Target Mobile
Slight Conflict of Interest - Proceed With Caution Depending on Store:
  • Dating a GSA/Perishables Asst - No conflict of interest if you do not work in the same workcenter. Cashiers dating GSAs and PFresh TMs dating PAs is a slight conflict of interest depending on the authority your store gives to these positions. In my store for example, GSAs are only high potential TLs and would not be allowed.
  • Dating a Senior TL - most stores won't allow because the Senior TL may be LOD at any moment's notice, and anyone who is an LOD cannot date TMs. However your store may be open to it if you do not report directly to the TL
Not Allowed - Stay Away:
  • Dating anyone from AP/HR - Not allowed. AP could allow you to get away with too much from an investigation and shortage perspective, and the HR team could give you unfair favors in scheduling, change your punches, and other factors
  • Dating your direct TL supervisor - not allowed due to the nature of the reporting relationship. Huge conflict of interest.
  • Dating ANY ETL regardless of position or your STL - not allowed due to the fact that the LOD is the highest authority in the building and even ETLs that you do not report to are able to influence your position (merit scores, contribution meetings, etc.). STL is pretty self explanatory.
Team Leader - Non Senior, Including SFT

• Dating a TM that is not your direct report (i.e. Sales Floor TL dating cashier)
  • Dating a TL peer outside of your department (i.e. GSTL dating Presentation TL)
  • Dating contract TMs such as Beauty Concierge or Target Mobile
  • Dating a Senior TL - most stores won't allow because the Senior TL may be LOD at any moment's notice, and the LOD will have to give direction to the TL which can cause conflict of interest. Although again, some stores will allow based on review
  • Dating a TL peer in your department (i.e. two Logistics TLs dating is pretty much not allowed due to the fact your working relationship is easily affected). I have seen stores where this is allowed but it is VERY rare.
Not Allowed - Stay Away:
  • Dating anyone from AP/HR - Not allowed. AP could allow you to get away with too much from an investigation and shortage perspective, and the HR team could give you unfair favors in scheduling, change your punches, and other factors
  • Dating your direct report - GSTL dating cashier or GSA, Sales Floor TL dating Hardlines TM...pretty self explanatory. So much potential for disaster.
  • Dating ANY ETL regardless of position or your STL - not allowed due to the fact that the LOD is the highest authority in the building and even ETLs that you do not report to are able to influence your position (merit scores, contribution meetings, etc.). STL is pretty self explanatory.
Executive Team Leader - non HR/AP, Senior TL

• Dating a ETL peer - I have heard of many stories with two ETLs dating or being married but it is still iffy. It is too easy for there to be conflicts of interest during ETL meetings or a bad working relationship depending on their relationship. This would still to me be a big no-no in my district--one ETL has always had to transfer to another store.
Not Allowed - Stay Away:
  • Dating anyone in the store! As an LOD you are in charge of the whole store and thus all TMs directly report to you during that time. Plus ETLs and even SrTLs have access to modify timesheets, scheduling, AP camera room, and soooo much more. Do. Not. Do. It.
  • Dating your STL - umm....duh.
All HR/AP Team Members, Store Team Leader

• STL dating another STL in the same district - I have not first hand seen this happen, but this relationship could affect things such as promotions and transfers between different stores. Now this is easily worked around, but not black and white. Depends on your DTL but most likely would be okay pending investigation.
  • STL dating a business partner or equivalent - Possible. But it is a huge conflict of interest in some positions such as STL dating HRBP or Group Merchandising Leader during assessments or visits. Don't even get me started on STL dating HRBP in context of hotline calls!
Not Allowed - Stay Away:
  • Dating anyone in the store! As a TM in these positions you have so many ways to give favoritism or unfair treatment that it would take forever to type them out.
  • STL dating a DTL, GTL, etc. - No. No. No. At that level you could probably move mountains at Target and get away with bloody murder.

Last edited by a moderator:
THE NEVER ENDING QUESTION:rolleyes:

Its obvious that if ETLs cannot date their TMs...so STLs cannot date their TMs either.

The whole thing comes down to conflict of interest. Is there one person who is a direct supervisor over the other.

Basic rundown,
a TM dating a TM. OK.
a Cashier dating a GSA. Thats a little iffy.
a TM dating their Work Center TL. Not ok.
a TM dating a different Workcenter TL. OK.
a TL dating TL. OK but some stores want them in completely different workcenters.
any store TM dating someone on AP. Not ok.
any store TM dating an ETL. Not ok.
any store TM dating a STL. Not ok.

TMs can date ETLs/STLs as long as they work different stores.

THE NEVER ENDING QUESTION:rolleyes:

Its obvious that if ETLs cannot date their TMs...so STLs cannot date their TMs either.

The whole thing comes down to conflict of interest. Is there one person who is a direct supervisor over the other.

Basic rundown,
a TM dating a TM. OK.
a Cashier dating a GSA. Thats a little iffy.
a TM dating their Work Center TL. Not ok.
a TM dating a different Workcenter TL. OK.
a TL dating TL. OK but some stores want them in completely different workcenters.
any store TM dating someone on AP. Not ok.
any store TM dating an ETL. Not ok.
any store TM dating a STL. Not ok.

TMs can date ETLs/STLs as long as they work different stores.
We should really sticky this...

Thanks @buliSBI
Guess I should have checked to see if the links worked.
I guess when we made the transition some of them didn't cross over that well.
Sorry bout that.

I am trying remember all the rules & situations. Whats the ruling on Brand TMs/GSAs and TMs?

I think FS was going to come up with a wiki or something for all the FAQs.

I remember in one circumstance my store was the district training store for a group of ETLs. And one of them was my ETL-GS's wife. When the DTL realized his office missed that, he had her train at another store.

Last edited:
At my store, I do recall a guest service TM dating an AP TM.

He got fired recently for something related with a guest.

I'd love to know what the friendship policy is.
No events off the clock.
This is a joke, right?

In my store we've had TM dating TL. TMs go out for dinners and drinks with TLs and SrTLs. Many are buddy-buddy posting fun pictures of them all drinking and laughing on FB. Never made me uncomfortable or made me think they might get special treatment.... Said sarcastically.

Some of the young people at my store usually go to bars or clubs on Saturday nights after they get done with closing. I have never been invited. I am only 30 but the majority of the salesfloor consists of people in their early 20s so I'm considered an senior citizen. I would probably feel out of place since I do not drink due to personal reasons.

The people at my store are cool with each other. I know etls who hang with team leaders. I also know a few team leaders who date team members. My stores management is cool with it. There are some cute girls I want to date at my store but with me being AP I try to stay away from it.

My store's TPS and one of our salesfloor TMs are roommates (from prior to the TPS being TPS and the sf TM working for spot), and I've crashed drunkenly on their couch before.

Back