The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

I posted posted this at 9:30 during my break.

At 11:15, the same guests asked for 24 bottles of shampoo.

They had coupons and cartwheel.

I smell scammers.

Does your store not limit? My store limits most items to 4 per family/household. There are a few exceptions, such as 12 packs, bottled water, etc

TTOG erm, sorry, I mean team member again; Lady, you literally had only $8 in fucking Pure Leaf Iced tea. The coupon was get $5 off if you bought $20 worth of Pepsi or any of the listed products. (It was Gatorade, Rockstar, Monster, Pure Leaf, and like two other things that were also listed that were non-soda.)

Now, I can understand the other people who got Crush/Rootbeer/Pepsi because the sign for the coupon was right above all those when it's clearly only for Pepsi but the worker(s) didn't re-organize it all or put it on an endcap, I have no idea how the process goes BUT; Literally?

I scrolled all the way back up to the very beginning of your $350 list of grocery and you had the smaller Mountain Dew 8 pack bottles and 4 jugs of Pure Leaf Iced Tea each priced at $2. I just can't believe another worker is gonna throw a fit at me because she didn't read the coupon correctly. I ended up giving it to her anyways and I said literally "I don't wanna be difficult today so here I'll put in the $5 off, have at it." and she responds "Ya know I wish I didn't have to do my job too." What? I was having a lot of fun today, actually. Despite it being super-duper busy, I was having fun and making big conversation with people during my long 8-hour shift. Then you strolled up, we made conversation actually too, and then at the end to scan your coupon and it didn't go through you got really snappy real quick with me... especially after I explained that she had only $8 in Iced Tea. Have I said that enough yet? lol

I'm actually pretty damn sure you knew you had only $8 in iced tea and just wanted to give me shit anyways lol. Whatever, hope you enjoy your $5 off that you cheated your way out of... well more like I just didn't wanna argue. I've noticed this as well... customers love to get uppity and snarky with me when I tell them a specific coupon doesn't work or they don't meet the requirements, but when I signal my GSTL or GSA over they tell them the same exact thing and suddenly they're so understanding and nice.

Anyways, that's the only bad customer experience today out of the hundreds of customers I checked out today that stood out the most lol.

Pet peeve: When they use a really lame excuse to not get a red card.

"I don't shop here." Really? Bitch, I see you paying for shit you shopped for here right now.
"We don't have one where I am." Bitch, you're here anyway.
"I don't like being charged interest every month." Bitch, I told you the debit card is interest free, pay attention!
"I don't like saving money." *crickets*

Pet peeve: When they use a really lame excuse to not get a red card.

"I don't shop here." Really? Bitch, I see you paying for shit you shopped for here right now.
"We don't have one where I am." Bitch, you're here anyway.
"I don't like being charged interest every month." Bitch, I told you the debit card is interest free, pay attention!
"I don't like saving money." *crickets*
Most of them for me is "No thank, I don't need another card" or the "I dont want another credit card". Then when I try to explain it's not just credit card, they think im tricking them into getting a credit card.

There was one today who was positively hostile. She could not have been more hostile. She acted like I was trying to steal her identity. Kept ranting about how Target stole her bank account "that time" and there was no explaining anything and I shut up and she still bitched at me as though I could somehow pay restitution or kiss her ass or whatever.

It's going on a year and a half of being treated like I'm stupid, like I'm somehow less human than the "guests", that I'm not deserving of basic common decency.

Today I'm ready to snap and start telling people to go fuck themselves.

One that bugs the crap out of me
Is when a guest wants somthing that we dont have on the floor. So I scan the barcode and tell them we have at in the back and I well be right back so i go to the stockroom and get there product walk half way across the store to give it to them and there nowhere to be found. What do they think im going to be able to track them down when they walk off

One that bugs the crap out of me
Is when a guest wants somthing that we dont have on the floor. So I scan the barcode and tell them we have at in the back and I well be right back so i go to the stockroom and get there product walk half way across the store to give it to them and there nowhere to be found. What do they think im going to be able to track them down when they walk off

I will ask them if they have more shopping to do. If they do, I will bring the item to the front checklanes or the service desk once I get it from the back. If they say no, I'll ask them to stay close. Some prefer to follow me to the back and wait outside the backroom doors. It's all good.

Now that I've been a cashier for nearly 3 months, I've been noticing some irritating patterns. Some of these are enough to make me lose faith in humanity, at least during that transaction. So without further adieu, here are my biggest guest pet peeves:
  • The guests who stare at their phone and/or into space while I build the leaning tower of groceries on the side counter. It's understandable if they're busy with children, or have a TON of stuff to still unpack from their carts. And I get it, we have limited space to put the packed bags, but FOR THE LOVE OF GOD it gets under my skin.
  • The guests who plop their full basket onto the conveyor belt for me to unpack. It makes it a slower process, and their bags get packed less efficiently because I can't evaluate their entire purchase at once. Laziness at it's finest.
  • The guests who casually refer to you by your name. For example, when they tell their kids or people with them "oh give that to (name)". I get it when guests greet you by name, but casually name dropping you is WEIRD. I don't know, some people consider this to be polite but it always weirds me out a bit and throws me off. Like one lady was having trouble with her card and she goes "oh (name), (name), (name), help me out here!"
  • The guests that ignore you when you greet them. At least a "hello" back would be nice. Or a smile. Something?
  • The guests that tell me how beautiful it is outside. Again, I get it, small talk and yadda, yadda, yadda but like DUDE I'm stuck in here for 8 hours. Please don't tell me about the beautiful Autumn weather I'm missing in the outside world.
  • The guests that get mad at YOU when they can't remember their REDcard pins. "You can't just give it me?" UM... NO????
  • The guest that hovers over your bagging area and fixes everything you do. If you have a special preference as to where you want your stuff - just TELL me. It slows me down when you're one foot away from me and eyeballing every move I make.
  • The guests who continue to put their items at the FRONT of the conveyor belt, clogging up the space and making it difficult to categorize things into bags properly. There's a reason that belt moves up on it's own and there's space to put all of your things.
  • The guests who request double bags or bags for items that simply do NOT need them. Personally, I am very passionate about our environment so this always irks me. I never give people a hard time, because no one is ever really nasty about it - they're older, or they say they have to carry it upstairs, etc. But I just wish I could tell them how damaging our plastic bag usage in America is... without seeming rude.

I had someone yesterday who:
1. Scanned every item of there very full cart through cartwheel before handing the items to me which made it hard for to as you call it "Pack the bags efficient". As well as it made them take forever to take their items out of the cart so I had a very large tower of all there bags (at one point I wasnt sure what to do so I put some on the ground and tried holding some, didnt seem to faze em tho).
2. Ignored all my friendly attempts or muttered response in between trying picking a fight with her husband

Besides that and a few people that kinda seem like there on something I havent experienced to many bad "Guests", still new tho so I guess thats probably why lel

I hate guests who stand at the Electronics boat, magically waiting for me to appear.
Or the ones who expect me to be tech support. The ones who were like "But i saw it online.." or "They used to do it here!"

Mine as a cashier:
1. Guests who try to tell me what I can and can't do at my job. I work here. I know what I'm doing. Especially nerve-wracking when its former employees who most likely got fired for not knowing what they were doing
2. Parents who can't control their children
3. People with bad breath/ people who smell like ashtrays. Sorry, but you stink and make me want to vomit
4. Guests who spend the entire checkout on their cell phones.
5. Guests that wait until they are paying to pull out a coupon or gift card. Especially when it is already processing the transaction.
6. Finally, when guests with children want me to touch a slobbery item that has been in their child's mouth for who knows how long to ring it up and bag it. Haven't you ever heard of germs and disease???? ALSO EW

Talking too quietly. I don't know why that bugs me but it does.
That and standing at the call button but not pressing it yet acting super bitchy when I ask them if they need help

Talking too quietly. I don't know why that bugs me but it does.
That and standing at the call button but not pressing it yet acting super bitchy when I ask them if they need help
When people are like "no ones around??" Expect me to stand at a counter all day??

I had someone yesterday who:
1. Scanned every item of there very full cart through cartwheel before handing the items to me which made it hard for to as you call it "Pack the bags efficient". As well as it made them take forever to take their items out of the cart so I had a very large tower of all there bags (at one point I wasnt sure what to do so I put some on the ground and tried holding some, didnt seem to faze em tho).

THIS. I can't believe I forgot this one. It's like, you can stand ANYWHERE in the store and scan your items on cartwheel before coming to the check lines. Ridiculous.

4. Guests who spend the entire checkout on their cell phones.
5. Guests that wait until they are paying to pull out a coupon or gift card. Especially when it is already processing the transaction.

YES, I see these two a lot as well. Seeing people glued to their cell phones like that is truly disheartening. I'm in my early twenties, I couldn't live without my phone, I'll admit that. But even I know when it's not appropriate/polite to use! Also, number 5 will never stop blowing my mind. When people give me gift cards and THEN coupons. Even if I ask! It's like they have no concept of forms of payment.

• Mumblers. I can't understand what you're saying when you mumble. The same goes for people who whisper. If you're concerned with other people overhearing you, write down your info and hand it to me.
  • People who say "the other girl does it." Doni look like "the other girl?" No. And I highly doubt she rang out your ENTIRE cart of groceries
  • People who argue over every single price, but not all at once....this one was only $2 last time...I go and look it up, no, it was $5....well, this one was $3 last time...go and look that one up....no, it was also $5...and so on.
  • People who are picking up for someone else, I ask for the birthday and they say "mine or theirs?" Why on gods green earth would I need your birthday if you're picking up for your son?!?!
  • People who bring up a lamp and ask us if we have more in the back. How the hell do I know? I'm in PHARMACY!!!
  • People who think they can pull shady shit because we're in pharmacy. We're trained to spot shady scripts, you honestly think you can pull one over on us? You'd have better luck with a noob up front....
  • And last but not least, people who think they can get us to do what they want (usually something against the rules/law) by threatening to call corporate. Go ahead. Call. I'll even dial the phone for you. I'm not going to break the rules/law and lose my license just because you're calling corporate.

The guests who request double bags or bags for items that simply do NOT need them. Personally, I am very passionate about our environment so this always irks me. I never give people a hard time, because no one is ever really nasty about it - they're older, or they say they have to carry it upstairs, etc. But I just wish I could tell them how damaging our plastic bag usage in America is... without seeming rude.

You would love my store, plastic bag ban and paper bags cost 5 cents

. Scanned every item of there very full cart through cartwheel before handing the items to me which made it hard for to as you call it "Pack the bags efficient". As well as it made them take forever to take their items out of the cart so I had a very large tower of all there bags (at one point I wasnt sure what to do so I put some on the ground and tried holding some, didnt seem to faze em
Put on your blinker and have the GSTL bring you an empty cart.

Back