The Things Guests Do/Pet Peeves Thread

Guy was napping at the wheel, tried to tell his dispatcher he was falling asleep and didn't want to hurt anyone, got told to keep driving anyways. I think a lot of people who complain about truckers like that should just watch this video.

I'm pretty sure he's an FDC driver. He looks so similar.

When a mom and her 4 kids decide to go through (the extremely small spaced) self checkout with an entire cart full of shit so not only do you have to help them every 3 minutes of their minimum 30-minute transaction because she decided to let 2 of her kids “help” and they double-scan every other item, but the other 2 kids are standing in the middle of the area, one in front of (and blocking) a machine each, fortnite dancing while staring at themselves in the monitor the entire time and all the other guests are too polite to ask the kids to move so they can use the machine so the line builds and builds. And mom is too busy yelling at the “helping” kids to tell the other kids to stop being in everyone’s way and move. This sounds extremely specific but I promise you I experience this exact situation twice a day.

When a mom and her 4 kids decide to go through (the extremely small spaced) self checkout with an entire cart full of shit so not only do you have to help them every 3 minutes of their minimum 30-minute transaction because she decided to let 2 of her kids “help” and they double-scan every other item, but the other 2 kids are standing in the middle of the area, one in front of (and blocking) a machine each, fortnite dancing while staring at themselves in the monitor the entire time and all the other guests are too polite to ask the kids to move so they can use the machine so the line builds and builds. And mom is too busy yelling at the “helping” kids to tell the other kids to stop being in everyone’s way and move. This sounds extremely specific but I promise you I experience this exact situation twice a day.

That is the type of Karen that will complain we didn't have a lane or enough open so her little monsters were out of control by the fact she had to ring up her own items. 🙄

A woman called today, she said she had just bought a car seat and she couldn't figure out how to install it properly in the car. She wanted to know if we offer car seat installation. It just boggled my mind that she would even think to ask that. You are going to place the safety of your child whose life is supposed to be more important to you than your own into the hands of a retail worker at a big box store? And, far second, you think the store will want to take on that kind of liability risk?

Also ever since the card reader update, anyone else’s guests get really confused as to what to do? Like half of them will tap the “insert” part on the screen with their finger over and over and be like “it’s not doing anything.” Yes because insert means insert your card 😔

Yeah, I see a lot of people tapping the screen. As far as I've seen, though, people seem to figure it out pretty quickly after that.

Now if we could get them to figure out the right way to align their cards.

Also ever since the card reader update, anyone else’s guests get really confused as to what to do? Like half of them will tap the “insert” part on the screen with their finger over and over and be like “it’s not doing anything.” Yes because insert means insert your card 😔
Yes, it's bad design. Lots of them hold their cards to it, like it's their phone.

Cannot stand shit like that.
One time when I was on registers, this mombie with her two kids also decided to let them "help" with the card reader, causing issues. The guy behind her got impatient and yelled at her to control her children and stop holding up the line. She turned red and pursed her lips and looked at me like she expected me to defend her. Nope. When she was out of earshot, I thanked the guy for saying what I couldn't.

So as you know like every guest has that “$5 off a $15 purchase” coupon and every single guest who goes through self checkout tries to scan it as a gift card and then asks me why their gift card isn’t working 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ such a long day of saying “well that’s not a gift card so you can’t pay with it, it’s a coupon so you need to press back and then back again and then scan it” over and over and over and over

A woman called today, she said she had just bought a car seat and she couldn't figure out how to install it properly in the car. She wanted to know if we offer car seat installation. It just boggled my mind that she would even think to ask that. You are going to place the safety of your child whose life is supposed to be more important to you than your own into the hands of a retail worker at a big box store? And, far second, you think the store will want to take on that kind of liability risk?

I see your point and its valid but you'd have to tell me literally no one in your store currently has kids??? I'd be happy to walk the guest though it but explain to the guest we aren't certified and not liable if its installed incorrectly. I'd even look up how they can get it checked out by a professional that way you take care of the guest.

1. When there's a problem at SCO I'll walk over and say something like "Hey, how's it going" and they'll usually scoot to one side and tell me what happened while I put it into store mode. It drives me bonkers when guests stand right in front of the screen and continue to stare blankly at it, while I say "'scuse me" and try to put my numbers in.

2. When it's been raining all day and guests want to chew my ear off about the carts being wet. IT'S RAINING YOU ABSOLUTE TROGLODYTE!

I see your point and its valid but you'd have to tell me literally no one in your store currently has kids??? I'd be happy to walk the guest though it but explain to the guest we aren't certified and not liable if its installed incorrectly. I'd even look up how they can get it checked out by a professional that way you take care of the guest.
Guests come in the store claiming the team member on the phone said a sale item would be held when the team member said it couldn't be. Guests claim the team member said an open airbed could be returned when the team member said it couldn't. Walking someone through car seat installation is a very nasty can of legal worms to open. And what if the team member got it wrong? What if the parent misheard? What if a child dies because of a mistake?

Beyond that, I don't know who has kids young enough for a car seat. Other team members' personal lives is not my business, so I wouldn't know who to put on the phone.

So as you know like every guest has that “$5 off a $15 purchase” coupon and every single guest who goes through self checkout tries to scan it as a gift card and then asks me why their gift card isn’t working 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ such a long day of saying “well that’s not a gift card so you can’t pay with it, it’s a coupon so you need to press back and then back again and then scan it” over and over and over and over
OMG THIS WITH THE CVS FLU SHOT COUPONS

Guests come in the store claiming the team member on the phone said a sale item would be held when the team member said it couldn't be. Guests claim the team member said an open airbed could be returned when the team member said it couldn't. Walking someone through car seat installation is a very nasty can of legal worms to open. And what if the team member got it wrong? What if the parent misheard? What if a child dies because of a mistake?

Beyond that, I don't know who has kids young enough for a car seat. Other team members' personal lives is not my business, so I wouldn't know who to put on the phone.

This is the fuel that lights Karen's fire

1. When there's a problem at SCO I'll walk over and say something like "Hey, how's it going" and they'll usually scoot to one side and tell me what happened while I put it into store mode. It drives me bonkers when guests stand right in front of the screen and continue to stare blankly at it, while I say "'scuse me" and try to put my numbers in.

2. When it's been raining all day and guests want to chew my ear off about the carts being wet. IT'S RAINING YOU ABSOLUTE TROGLODYTE!
Omg when they press remove item and then you go over there and like their entire family is surrounding the machine and you have to reach between them while typing your numbers and you say “excuse me” like 3 times and they don’t move lmao like you’re the one that called me over here 😡

I have a 7 month old and don’t know how to install one. My partner did it.

I haven't had to take a call for that area, but I've had car seat questions at times I've been stuck pushing over there. I always just got on the walkie and asked for a team member who knew something about car seats to come over.
I personally would not be comfortable with looking up something like that, especially if I don't know if the results I happen to find are going to be the best ones. I'm happy to recommend products I've actually used and thought were great, but I'm child-free and therefore will never need to know about car seats. I'd rather just ask someone who has actually used them to help the guest.

There's a big difference between answering car seat questions in baby hardlines and installing a car seat. Information about specific car seats is either on the box or in the details of target.com, so it's just looking up the data. Installing a car seat though...I would not be able to live with myself if I did my very best to install a car seat and it led to a baby's death because I did it wrong. And over the phone, not a chance in hell.

Back