Archived The trouble with Mydevices....

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have been given the challenge of trying to get our my devices in line at our store because certain peeps are notorious for changing the numbered backgrounds so that it makes us hard to keep track of them. How can we make sure the backgrounds stay the same? Is there any other way to keep them numbered aside from putting backgrounds on them? This is supposed to be one of my pre-team lead challenges that I'm supposed to be able to talk about in the TL interviews, so I'm kinda freaking out....thanks guys!!

Here is the directions. Thanks to @ElectronicsTM & @PogDog
Alright... thanks to @ElectronicsTM suggestion to use the Guest Wi-Fi instead of tcwireless... getting screens for your MyDevice has been simplified.

For those that don't know how to do that here's a tutorial. I hope it's not too confusing:

First:
Open Settings> Wi-Fi> then select the blue i next to tcwireless... this will allow you to toggle the Auto-Join off. Go back to Wi-Fi and select Target Guest WiFi. There should be a check next to it when it's joined.

Second:
After you're connected to Target Guest WiFi, open Safari and use this link: tinyurl.com/targetmd
It'll take you to my personal site, which just lists all the screens in a boring vertical layout. There are 51 images to choose from.

Third:
The very first image you'll see is the Home Screen. Press and hold that image until the option to Save Image comes up (it's the 3rd choice down). After you save it, scroll down until you see your device's number. Press and hold that image for the option to Save Image.

Fourth:
Return to Settings then select Wallpaper> Choose a New Wallpaper> All Photos> Select the image of the home screen> Pinch the image for a better fitting background. It'll appear zoomed in when it first loads in the preview window> Press Set> Set Home Screen> You'll be taken back to the image selection screen again, select the numbered image for your Lock Screen> Pinch to readjust> Set> Set Lock Screen

Fifth:
Go back to Settings (< Choose < Wallpaper <Settings)

Finally:
Reset tcwireless back to Auto-Join
Wi-Fi> choose a network: tcwireless> wait for the check to appear next to it, then select the blue i> toggle Auto-Join back on.

You're all done. Sorry to the folks that know this, but I hope it helps anyone that isn't very iOS savvy.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2015
PogDog, Jul 14, 2015

The number labels have a bulleyes on both sides & a number in the middle.
They look like this on the PDA.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.4 KB · Views: 56
My former store did that but TMs would pull off the labels & stash them so they put the labels inside under the battery in addition to an external sticker.

A trick to keeping the lock screen numbered is to disable the camera. You can do this by going into settings>restrictions>enable restrictions. Set up a passcode (don't forget this!) then just disable the camera. Its saved me so many times from team members constantly changing the screens.

As for keeping track of them, search for "ios report" in workbench and it gives you a list of all the mydevices/pda's and who was last logged into which one. From there, you can also edit the numbers for mydevices (as well as organize them by number so they are easier to find). It takes awhile but is totally worth going into each mydevice setting and verifying that the numbers on the mydevice match up to the numbers in the ios report.

If you have any more questions let me know. Ive spent wayyyy too much time managing them.

A trick to keeping the lock screen numbered is to disable the camera. You can do this by going into settings>restrictions>enable restrictions. Set up a passcode (don't forget this!) then just disable the camera. Its saved me so many times from team members constantly changing the screens.

As for keeping track of them, search for "ios report" in workbench and it gives you a list of all the mydevices/pda's and who was last logged into which one. From there, you can also edit the numbers for mydevices (as well as organize them by number so they are easier to find). It takes awhile but is totally worth going into each mydevice setting and verifying that the numbers on the mydevice match up to the numbers in the ios report.

If you have any more questions let me know. Ive spent wayyyy too much time managing them.

And make sure you have a security torx to get the ipods out. Also helps to save the ipods number in a text file on the device along with its serial once the stickers fade.

Mastering using the iOS report is one of the single greatest things you can do regarding MyDevice management. It will make things much easier on you tracking everything from who has/had what and when. Partner with AP to help keep a somewhat regular tab on any MyDevices that are not seen over a couple days.

Doing the same thing for the PDAs would not hurt either. There is a PDA management link on the iOS report too. At least at my store, people tend to leave them in wacos or hide them and forget about them.

I also created several documents in Word to help assist in which MyDevices are having issues. One we have is a list of all devices, their serial numbers, their assigned numbers, any known issues, the last time a digital adviser used it, incident numbers when we call the CSC about issues, etc. We print it out once a week and drop it into the mailboxes of the STL, ETL-GE, and APTL. They really appreciate that.

Last edited:
Dude...wtf...nobody do this ever please. The camera is the only backup when the scanner gives out!!:mad:

And the scanner gives out because the battery is dead (the scanner has a completely different battery than the mydevice). Grab another one with a solid green light :p

Edit: And stop losing my mydevices!!! lol

And the scanner gives out because the battery is dead (the scanner has a completely different battery than the mydevice). Grab another one with a solid green light :p

Edit: And stop losing my mydevices!!! lol
You can't always just grab another one. And the battery is not the only reason the scanners stop working...

Or get the cable like I did.
Here is the part number for Honeywell charging cable for sl22 sled. CBL-500-120-S00-00. It costs 21.00 to 30.00 depending on where you get it from.Type A connector. Not available on sap.

You can't always just grab another one. And the battery is not the only reason the scanners stop working...

I would say 9 times out of 10 this is the case. The scanner battery tends to drain a lot faster than the IPod one, sometimes so that the IPod will read at 100% but the scanner battery will be drained. You can check this by going into mywork, clicking the little man at the top left and scrolling down. If its not the battery (or the battery doesnt show up) you can do a hard reset by leaving it on the cradel and holding the power+home button until the apple logo shows.

If that doesn't work than there's an issue with the scanner connectivity so you need to call CSC (701, option 3 for stores then option 2 for mobile devices) and ship it out to DMI for a replacement.

From another thread:
If anyone has run into issues where it seems like a myDevice has just stopped charging (charge indicator won't blink green when in charger) you might want to try something.
When the device is in the charger if you hold down both scan buttons for about 5 seconds or so you should see the indicator flash orange briefly. There is a good chance it will start charging again after this. We have been seeing some success with it. It seems like this reboots the sled as opposed to just hard resetting the iPod. Let me know if this works for anyone.

BigErn, Feb 25, 2016

The scanner battery tends to drain a lot faster than the IPod one, sometimes so that the IPod will read at 100% but the scanner battery will be drained.

At my store, it's the opposite. The iPod battery will be nearly dead but the scanner will still show 100%.

There's 0 respect for the myDevices at my store. We are constantly taking the iPod's out of the case, pulling out the scanner battery, slamming the case lip against a hard surface when it won't close. No one really cares. This is probably why no one wants to use them because we've beat them up so badly they don't even work.

At this point they are pieces of crap that I don't bother with anymore. I am blessed to be a flow tm and I don't have to have one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back