Archived The Truth About What Execs Really Think of Team Leaders

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having just left Target (thank you, Jesus!) for a much better paying, less office politics job... I thought I would share info from an org. chart that was saved to a desktop of one of our store computers. (One of our ETLs was a bit of a computer dummy and couldn't operate MySite)

Every ETL has a chart sent to them by the STL. It contains a table with little symbols as to ratings for TLs.
The figures as described as such:

Symbol 1= Ideal for elevation
Symbol 2= Not Ideal for elevation
Symbol 3= Alternative
Symbol 4= Diverse
Symbol=Male
Symbol=Female

The email attached to this file said to rate all TLs in the store and turn it in by such and such a date to be sent up to our DTL.

The people with the symbol for Ideal for Elevation are all young, fairly attractive and athletic- just like EVERY new ETL we have hired/trained in the last 3 years
The people with the symbol for Not Ideal for Elevation are overweight or older Team Leaders
The people with the symbol for Alternative are the Homosexual Team Leaders in the store
The people with the symbol for Diverse are any race other than caucasian ie: African American, Hispanic etc

If you think that they are not rating you- you're mistaken. If you think that the way you look won't affect how much you get paid or if you get promoted- think again. There is another chart called a GAPS chart. They rate you weekly on the GAPS- it is basically:

Needs Improvement -obvious
Good in current role- they're going to leave you right where you are
Do more- they think you should be doing more despite it not being in your core roles, which might or might not get you into the onto the bench category
On the bench=Headed for ETL position

I've known about GAPS for some time and was shocked to realize we were scored in such a fashion. But when I found this org chart I was unable to hold myself back from absolute disgust. It's a shame Target can physically, racially or sexually choose how they promote us or give raises. They should be ashamed, but they're not. I wish everyone well here that's stuck at Target.

Gaps I have heard of but the first chart mentioned is news to me. Any idea how it works? If you're symbol 1 and 4 does it make someone an ideal candidate for promotion.

I believe it, but still have an obese Stl and several obese tl's at my store! What's up with that?

How is this any different from how the rest of the world views people? Not saying its right, just that it is not uncommon at all.

Last edited:
if you base your whole company off of looks, it's alot like building a castle made out of sand...don't be suprised when it don't last long.

"The people with the symbol for Alternative are the Homosexual Team Leaders in the store"

How do they know who is gay?

It is a big corporation, and I am not surprised. ETLs are probably also ranked, STLs, DTLs,... everybody in pyramid called Target.

It is a big corporation, and I am not surprised. ETLs are probably also ranked, STLs, DTLs,... everybody in pyramid called Target.

It has nothing to do with ranking TLs according to their ability. This has everything to do with promotions based on a desired set of physical characteristics and/or "diversity" traits. The same thing happens throughout the company - for a HQ perspective look at the reviews on glassdoor.com. At my DC there is no shortage of college educated warehouse workers of all ages and physical attributes. Yet on the rare occasion that someone is promoted to GL, the chosen one is always in their mid-20s, attractive and athletic. The older TMs who usually have some kind of previous management experience are told they aren't the right fit or that they lack the required experience (Bull****!).

That probably answers a lot of questions as to why, despite my expertise & work ethic, I was never considered for 'elevation'.
What's the code(s) for old, short, fat & ugly?

That probably answers a lot of questions as to why, despite my expertise & work ethic, I was never considered for 'elevation'.
What's the code(s) for old, short, fat & ugly?

I suspect your code is probably more along the lines of 'too smart for their own good.'

Maybe, but I'm hardly anyone's def of eye candy either.

At my store, the ETLs are all pretty good looking including the STL, mostly thin but a few tubbies. A lot of our TLs are older or unattractive but none of them are overweight.

VERY well said, GREAT points Delila! I haved worked in HR at Kmart, Target, Walmart, Sears, and Walgreens, and I have seen ALL of the AWFUL things Retail America does to their employees and how they discriminate, show favoritism, degrade the "ugly, fat ones" and I have an INside perspect of the AWFUL things they say about all the hourly people, it's DISGUSTING! The pick on what they wear, how they look, speculate whether certain people are gay, make racist jokes, you name it! Again, all contrary to Corporate policy, but done just the same, and MANY of the times UPPER management was either SAYING the things or NOT stopping those who were., APPAULING!
Having just left Target (thank you, Jesus!) for a much better paying, less office politics job... I thought I would share info from an org. chart that was saved to a desktop of one of our store computers. (One of our ETLs was a bit of a computer dummy and couldn't operate MySite)

Every ETL has a chart sent to them by the STL. It contains a table with little symbols as to ratings for TLs.
The figures as described as such:

Symbol 1= Ideal for elevation
Symbol 2= Not Ideal for elevation
Symbol 3= Alternative
Symbol 4= Diverse
Symbol=Male
Symbol=Female

The email attached to this file said to rate all TLs in the store and turn it in by such and such a date to be sent up to our DTL.

The people with the symbol for Ideal for Elevation are all young, fairly attractive and athletic- just like EVERY new ETL we have hired/trained in the last 3 years
The people with the symbol for Not Ideal for Elevation are overweight or older Team Leaders
The people with the symbol for Alternative are the Homosexual Team Leaders in the store
The people with the symbol for Diverse are any race other than caucasian ie: African American, Hispanic etc

If you think that they are not rating you- you're mistaken. If you think that the way you look won't affect how much you get paid or if you get promoted- think again. There is another chart called a GAPS chart. They rate you weekly on the GAPS- it is basically:

Needs Improvement -obvious
Good in current role- they're going to leave you right where you are
Do more- they think you should be doing more despite it not being in your core roles, which might or might not get you into the onto the bench category
On the bench=Headed for ETL position

I've known about GAPS for some time and was shocked to realize we were scored in such a fashion. But when I found this org chart I was unable to hold myself back from absolute disgust. It's a shame Target can physically, racially or sexually choose how they promote us or give raises. They should be ashamed, but they're not. I wish everyone well here that's stuck at Target.

My ETLs are nice looking, TLs it is 50/50... face it, Target is in selling stuff industry... and nice looking people sell more then ugly people. :flirt:

First of all you are spreading misinformation.
There is a 'rating' system like this but you are not giving accurate information.
There is a symbol for diverse and a symbol for female. If your grid has other symbols for male and alternative then it must be store specific.

There is also a color coded system for the same thing but I forget the colors off the top of my head.

There is also a listing that contains where you are ranked so to speak based off of performance and potential (you can find this on workbench if you need more information on it - Talent Management: Performance and Potential Assessment Defitions. It contains HP (high potential), DWWP( Doing well with potential), NIR (New in Role), NWWI (Needs work worth investment), DM (Do more), WP (well placed), P (problem performer), B10 (bottom 10%).

Of course TL, ETL, STL, DTL, etc etc are all ranked, you may or may not be aware of where you are placed.

I suspect your code is probably more along the lines of 'too smart for their own good.'

LOL!! We had a tour yesterday and all the female etls wore stilettos and tons of makeup for it.

Maybe all I need to start hanging signing in stilettos and Mac so my review will be better?

LOL!! We had a tour yesterday and all the female etls wore stilettos and tons of makeup for it.

Maybe all I need to start hanging signing in stilettos and Mac so my review will be better?

[Sarcasm] It could only help. Try having a huge faked smile, and speaking in an overly faked high pitched voice to sound cute too. [/Sarcasm]

Its pathetic that that might actually work. :S

lol spike!!!

yep... 3 new stls in our district. actually, within 2 hours of our store. 24, 24, 26 years old. all very young, diverse, peppy, FRESH out of college with NO job experience. not ETLS--STLS. went to support help to open up their stores. they looked like scared bunnies... in wedge heels. my team busted their butts, got done, audited, etc. and not once did they say thank you to them in person or offer to help out. they just click click clicked around saying "oh, how much longer do you think it'll take..."

lol spike!!!

yep... 3 new stls in our district. actually, within 2 hours of our store. 24, 24, 26 years old. all very young, diverse, peppy, FRESH out of college with NO job experience. not ETLS--STLS. went to support help to open up their stores. they looked like scared bunnies... in wedge heels. my team busted their butts, got done, audited, etc. and not once did they say thank you to them in person or offer to help out. they just click click clicked around saying "oh, how much longer do you think it'll take..."

STLs, really?

lol spike!!!

I think we might have been at the same store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back