Archived There needs to be a company wide strike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fyi

- almost everyone’s hours are being dramatically cut
- constant lies
- most of you are going to lose your health benefits in the next year (cobra is $500/month for a single person)
- illegally forcing out disabled people
- getting rid of older TMs
- forcing TMs to be unsafe
- demanding open availability for 10 hours a week
- no longer focusing on internal promotions
- constantly changing your job requirements
- constantly changing the rules of your job
- hiring people when you’re getting less then 10 hours a week
- forcing people to go on government assistance to survive
- the hours are never coming back
- there’s no plan
- less hours to do more work
- etls with lists of people to term without any real reasons
- laughable raises
- arbitrary review scores (you do realize there’s a quota they have to hit and can’t go over, right?)
- non working equipment
- dangerous truck unloads
- no offense to newbies but paying a cashier on their first day what a tm with 10 years experience makes

AND BRAIN CORNELL MADE 19 MILLION DOLLARS LAST YEAR....

Doesn't anyone remember the email he sent out last year? “Just because you’re losing hours that isn’t an excuse to not get your work done” Thats the logic of this company...no hours and no staff but you’re accountable for the workload anyway.

when is it enough already?!?

Target has broken so many of you, this isn’t how any company especially a company with targets moral high ground should be treating dedicated employees, the ADA violations alone could shut down most stores at this point.

Almost everyone is being treated like absolute crap, and if you aren’t yet, you will be soon. No one is immune, TLs they already have a plan to performance you out.

They have zero concern for the teams mental well being and physical health. They pretend to be such a great and moral community driven company but it’s 100% a lie. The level of sadness on this board the last few months is shocking and disgusting.

AND NO ONE OUTSIDE OF THE COMPANY KNOWS IT!

Well I encourage everyone to go back to your stores and plan a walkout. Let’s pick a date, call your local media, this could be a huge national story if we wanted it to be.

People need to understand how they are treating people it’s the only way any positive change could happen.

And to all the people that are going to say “if you hate it just quit” fine quit and let them keep treating your friends and coworkers like garbage, let them keep breaking the law, let Brian Cornell keep making 19 million dollars on your back while you can’t afford life’s basic needs.

We have zero power alone but we have all the power in numbers.

Last edited:
All I got out of this is that you’re salty about some guy that made $19,000,000 because you work on the bottom end of retail.

You work in retail man, you can easily find a comparable job in today’s job market. Shit has historically always been this way. The only difference between today and the past is that today everyone is a special snowflake that deserves a piece of someone else’s pay that they didn’t earn.

All I got out of this is that you’re salty about some guy that made $19,000,000 because you work on the bottom end of retail.

You work in retail man, you can easily find a comparable job in today’s job market. Shit has historically always been this way. The only difference between today and the past is that today everyone is a special snowflake that deserves a piece of someone else’s pay that they didn’t earn.

So you’re cool with the company firing people with disabilities among all the other illegal things that have been going on?

You’re ok with good people being treated like garbage just because “that’s the way it’s always been”?

Nothing will get better with this mentality.

It can change, it doesn’t have to be like this.

300,000 people work for this company we can send a message that just because it’s “retail” does not mean you give up the right to be treated like a human being.

Last edited:
- almost everyone’s hours are being dramatically cut
- constant lies
- most of you are going to lose your health benefits in the next year (cobra is $500/month for a single person)
- illegally forcing out disabled people
- getting rid of older TMs
- forcing TMs to be unsafe
- demanding open availability for 10 hours a week
- no longer focusing on internal promotions
- constantly changing your job requirements
- constantly changing the rules of your job
- hiring people when you’re getting less then 10 hours a week
- forcing people to go on government assistance to survive
- the hours are never coming back
- there’s no plan
- less hours to do more work
- etls with lists of people to term without any real reasons
- laughable raises
- arbitrary review scores (you do realize there’s a quota they have to hit and can’t go over, right?)
- non working equipment
- dangerous truck unloads
- no offense to newbies but paying a cashier on their first day what a tm with 10 years experience makes

AND BRAIN CORNELL MADE 19 MILLION DOLLARS LAST YEAR....

Doesn't anyone remember the email he sent out last year? “Just because you’re losing hours that isn’t an excuse to not get your work done” Thats the logic of this company...no hours and no staff but you’re accountable for the workload anyway.

when is enough enough already?!?

Target has broken so many of you, this isn’t how any company especially a company with targets moral high ground should be treating dedicated employees, the ADA violations alone could shut down most stores at this point.

Almost everyone is being treated like absolute crap, and if you aren’t yet, you will be soon. No one is immune, TLs they already have a plan to performance you out.

They have zero concern for the teams mental well being and physical health. They pretend to be such a great and moral community driven company but it’s 100% a lie. The level of sadness on this board the last few months is shocking and disgusting.

AND NO ONE OUTSIDE OF THE COMPANY KNOWS IT!

Well I encourage everyone to go back to your stores and plan a walkout. Let’s pick a date, call your local media, this could be a huge national story if we wanted it to be.

People need to understand how they are treating people it’s the only way any positive change could happen.

And to all the people that are going to say “if you hate it just quit” fine quit and let them keep treating your friends and coworkers like garbage, let them keep breaking the law, let Brian Cornell keep making 19 million dollars on your back while you can’t afford life’s basic needs.

We have zero power alone but we have all the power in numbers.

Preach! I’ve had 6 hours a week since the beginning of the year, all my requests for more hours, being trained somewhere else etc. have fallen on deaf ears. Yet when I’m there, they expect me to work faster when there’s call outs, work with urgency and get the job done. It takes everything in me to not laugh in their faces and ask why I should care.

Lmao good job sipping dat koolaid. Goddamn.

Also it's fuckin 2019. We don't need to live by 1876 standards.

People won’t strike, but yeah, the company has gone to shit. It’s easy to write the folks off on this site as a bunch of disgruntled employees when that’s really not the case. I used to love my job and take pride in my work. Not anymore.

I encourage everyone who isn’t pulling in consistent hours to start looking for a new job, or keep working here and don’t let it get to you. Just do what you can and tell them flatly, “The things you’re asking can’t be completed in the amount of time provided.”

Then sue their asses if they try to fire you. That’s what I’m waiting for—some team members to band together and hit them with a lawsuit.

Then sue their asses if they try to fire you. That’s what I’m waiting for—some team members to band together and hit them with a lawsuit.
But you can't. Target employees are forced to use arbitration instead of suing in court. You cannot do a class action in arbitration. It's a private one-on-one kangaroo court where the odds are stacked against you. I talked to a couple of friends who work in legal, I showed them my new-hire paperwork from years ago and they confirmed that that Target - like a lot of companies nowadays - require you to give up your rights to sue in court. This is becoming more and more common nowadays.

Probably the only way you can bring attention to these problems would be media coverage, like "60 Minutes".

But you can't. Target employees are forced to use arbitration instead of suing in court. You cannot do a class action in arbitration. It's a private one-on-one kangaroo court where the odds are stacked against you. I talked to a couple of friends who work in legal, I showed them my new-hire paperwork from years ago and they confirmed that that Target - like a lot of companies nowadays - require you to give up your rights to sue in court. This is becoming more and more common nowadays.

Probably the only way you can bring attention to these problems would be media coverage, like "60 Minutes".

This is another great reason why there should be a walkout.

This has been going on for the the last 15 years.

The shopping habits of the public have changed to automatic service. They order online, and either pick it up or have it delivered.

The board for over the last 15 years wants to get in and make some newsworthy changes. Pass/Fail they don't care because they get paid millions. Then get out and go work for another company.

Trade jobs are growing and becoming higher in demand. You can now get corporate jobs without having a degree in that field.

Don't settle for Target...just get the hell out of retail.

You’re assuming that every single store, in a company with almost 1900 stores is exactly the same at this moment. I find it very hard to believe that anyone working at corporate would being sending down a message to the stores that they need to “performance people out”. I find it very hard to believe that all stores are incapable of finding reasonable accommodations for team members with disabilities (I know for a fact my store has). If these things are really happening, I’m curious as to why none of it has been reported to the integrity line, or through any of the ethics channels that were clearly talked about in the ethics training that everyone was required to take. There is literally an entire Corporate Compliance and Ethics team for the company. If you think that Target doesn’t care, then I don’t know how to help you because you’re just going to think that no matter what. If stores are not providing reasonable accommodations, then report it through any of the ethics channels that have been provided. I think we are vastly underestimating how serious ethics actually is to this company. We are taking our personal experiences at our stores, but not thinking that there are other stores that actually do take things seriously. Ethical conduct is important to any self-respecting company that wants to continue doing business. I cannot possibly imagine that Brian Cornell is sitting in his office and saying “I’m going to do everything I can to make sure this company fails”. Really? Is that what we are thinking? They would not do anything that could jeopardize earnings, or the future of the company. They also have stakeholders to think about too, so there is a lot riding on them making decisions that are ethical.

You’re assuming that every single store, in a company with almost 1900 stores is exactly the same at this moment. I find it very hard to believe that anyone working at corporate would being sending down a message to the stores that they need to “performance people out”. I find it very hard to believe that all stores are incapable of finding reasonable accommodations for team members with disabilities (I know for a fact my store has). If these things are really happening, I’m curious as to why none of it has been reported to the integrity line, or through any of the ethics channels that were clearly talked about in the ethics training that everyone was required to take. There is literally an entire Corporate Compliance and Ethics team for the company. If you think that Target doesn’t care, then I don’t know how to help you because you’re just going to think that no matter what. If stores are not providing reasonable accommodations, then report it through any of the ethics channels that have been provided. I think we are vastly underestimating how serious ethics actually is to this company. We are taking our personal experiences at our stores, but not thinking that there are other stores that actually do take things seriously. Ethical conduct is important to any self-respecting company that wants to continue doing business. I cannot possibly imagine that Brian Cornell is sitting in his office and saying “I’m going to do everything I can to make sure this company fails”. Really? Is that what we are thinking? They would not do anything that could jeopardize earnings, or the future of the company. They also have stakeholders to think about too, so there is a lot riding on them making decisions that are ethical.
Perhaps it is not directly from Brian Cornell but from our own leadership. Group directors on down because they cannot properly introduce change on a massive scale. I feel it is to basically cover their asses. Being behind on modernization is every one else's fault. Q1 guide even said word for word a FEW stores have seen success and they are the ones that went after culture. R200 and R300 have had major shifts in upper leadership and this rolled down to stores. And just fyi Target ethics is a joke. I blame bad leaders and overall poor rollout for this shit storm so many stores are facing. Welcome to sears 2.0.

I will concede that if your leaders are failing you, then I am sorry and it sucks. But you will never convince me that anyone at corporate is incompetent enough to not learn anything from Sears. Target would never put itself in a place to receive bad press, and then as a consequence, possibly lose loyalty from their guests. People are conscious of ethical business practices more than ever right now, and especially Target’s demographic of shoppers.

And this is the problem. Someone wants to start something, so they throw out extreme accusations of things that may only be happening in a handful of stores. All this in an effort to get a bunch of people riled up. And guess what? If these things are truly happening, that is truly awful, and I will not diminish that for one second. I am not going to sit here and outright deny that they aren’t happening. But there is a right way to go about things, and those options have been provided to you. If you choose not to use them, that is on you and you may end up hurting things more than you’re helping.

A lot of this is an ASANTS thing. The leadership at my store definitely isn't perfect, but from what I've gathered on this site, it's better than average. (And the recent transfer of an awful ETL and the upcoming transfer of a bad TL will help too.) I think practically all of us are at least skeptical about modernization, but we're still trying because what other choice do we have. And please, let's keep in mind that we're talking retail here - an industry historically low-paying with high turnover. Target is not unusual in that regard. If you want to make more money and/or have more regular hours, you really need to look elsewhere.
As to unsafe practices and terminating TMs because of ADA non-compliance issues, those have serious legal ramifications and there are avenues (OSHA, state labor boards) available for TMs to take in addition to reporting it to the hotline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back