Archived They never should've hired you!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first two weeks working as a cashier, I encountered a seemingly pleasant woman who was just buying a case of water and some paper towels. Easy purchase right?
WRONG!!!

The guest I rang up before her had purchased milk, so my conveyor belt had a bit of condensation on it, which is usually not an issue. Except with this women. She was thoroughly convinced her water was leaking.
And guess what?
It was MY FAULT!

So I signal to my lovely GSA who is nothing but nice and funny, and ask him to have G block call me.
I wait for five minutes.
No call.
The women is now on a tirade, yelling at me, telling me I'm a "Terrible employee", that this is "Terrible customer service", That they "Never should've hired me", etc, etc, etc...
I have always had this issue with people yelling at me, it always makes me cry and I have absolutely no idea why!
So I'm standing in my register, trying REALLY hard not to cry as she continues to yell at me, waiting on this call that never comes.
I look up at the women and smile, apologize and ask my supervisor to call G block again.
The guests behind her are giving me a sympathetic look and patiently waiting as I'm being yelled at by this women.
After another five minutes, I look over at my supervisor who sees the women yelling at me, and mouths "I'm sorry".

Another five minutes goes by when the CART ATTENDANT (AKA: my hero) sees what's happening, runs to my register and asks what he can do. I hand him the water and still trying not to cry, I tell him I need another one of these.
So the cart attendant runs off and gets it for me.
The woman continues yelling at me and demeaning me, up until the cart attendant returns with the water. At this point she looks at him and says "Thank you! You were a big help! Unlike HER." And gives me a nasty look.

I just hand her her receipt, smile and tell her to have a 'nice day'.

The rest of the guests in my lane who had watched the whole incident than begin telling me "how sorry they are that I had to endure that" and that I "didn't deserve it".
I was honestly just glad it was over. =P

Sorry you had to go through that.
The people with anti-social personality disorders are not really made up for by the nice people in the rest of line but at least they all tried.
Even those of us who put on the tough front still have that kid inside who wants to cry when someone starts screaming at us.
Staying polite as you did takes a great deal of strength.

It's okay, I fortunately never saw her again. =p
Or maybe she just avoided my lane because I was a 'terrible cashier' Lol.

Gotta love working with the public... Every now and then, you're gonna run into those whackadoodles. When you do, put on your poker face, but don't take them seriously. And those guests afterwards who try to make you feel better will actually make you feel better. When my sister worked in [C-word] service for a different retailer, she would "fight back" by being so nice to the [C-word] that it just made them more angry and they would eventually give up. One of my GSTLs is notorious for doing this too.

I had a cashier who'd go poker face whenever a guest went off on her.
She'd simply shut down & go auto pilot. The guests would go crazy when they couldn't get a rise out of her.
I later found out she'd been in several abusive relationships & it was a coping mechanism.
Those guests are lucky she didn't snap.

Here's a fun little link to see how badly customers can behave:
http://notalwaysright.com/

Last edited:
I kinda like it when ppl yell at me.. not like it in that wierd way but

When they sit there yelling and pouting idk.. it just amuses me .. the stuff they say

I had a cashier who'd go poker face whenever a guest went off on her.
She'd simply shut down & go auto pilot. The guests would go crazy when they couldn't get a rise out of her.
I later found out she'd been in several abusive relationships & it was a coping mechanism.
Those guests are lucky she didn't snap.

Here's a fun little link to see how badly customers can behave:
http://notalwaysright.com/

Red, that's one of my favorite websites! LOL

Yeh, it helps to discover that not ALL the crazies shop Target. It only seems that way.

You guys waited 15 minutes for water? The next time that happens, just ring up the damaged item, keep it and check her out. Then she can wait for the replacement item and you can ring up your next guest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back