Archived Things Target Can Make To Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys! I'm a HR major, graduating next semester. I want to know what things Target can make to make our lives easier?

I'm talking changes to the survey systems. Official online support groups. Development systems for promising team members. Even technological things like being able to browse Target.com at registers.

Other than wages and insurance benefits, what do you think would help you as a Team Member or Leader, and what would help you do your job the best you can?

*crickets*

Actually in all seriousness:
- providing enough (working) equipment for the various depts/tasks
- providing enough PAYROLL to get the job done BEFORE tweaking/adjusting/gutting hours
- roll out new software systems that address concerns voiced by TMs instead of tacking on yet ANOTHER update
- consistency in policy. TMs & guests get mixed signals when policy is unevenly enforced with the TM usually left unsupported
Just to start with.

*crickets*

Actually in all seriousness:
- providing enough (working) equipment for the various depts/tasks
- providing enough PAYROLL to get the job done BEFORE tweaking/adjusting/gutting hours
- roll out new software systems that address concerns voiced by TMs instead of tacking on yet ANOTHER update
- consistency in policy. TMs & guests get mixed signals when policy is unevenly enforced with the TM usually left unsupported
Just to start with.
Yeah I agree, I think that the policies are very unclear and vague for both guests and Team Members. It might even help to have a team member handbook passed out that has all of the policies written out so TMs know what the rules are and how things are handled from the beginning.

Also, the software systems definitely need fixing. To this day I'm not sure how to apply for PTO lol.

Awesome answer! Thanks for responding. :)

Another to add:
Actually give payroll to stores for training. We have so many TMs that were woefully unprepared for some aspects of the job because they got little to no time in their areas before being thrown in solo
So true! It seems the only department given more than a week of training time is Starbucks! I struggle with my new TMs when I train them. There's so much they don't quite understand right away. Then it turns into a bunch of corrective action to get them to work things correctly.

Target needs some kind of digital communication board. I'd say one of the hardest things as an ETL (especially as GE where it's near impossible to have a team-wide huddle) is letting my team know about new rollouts, initiatives, trainings, and policies. The best I could do was let my TLs know and try to talk to TMs one-on-one. It would have to be something TMs can only access at the store but if they could have some kind of digital profile (similar to an in-house facebook I guess) where I could send out mass announcements and make sure they get it, that's be great.

Target needs some kind of digital communication board. I'd say one of the hardest things as an ETL (especially as GE where it's near impossible to have a team-wide huddle) is letting my team know about new rollouts, initiatives, trainings, and policies. The best I could do was let my TLs know and try to talk to TMs one-on-one. It would have to be something TMs can only access at the store but if they could have some kind of digital profile (similar to an in-house facebook I guess) where I could send out mass announcements and make sure they get it, that's be great.
So a social media that can maybe be accessed on Zebras? Only you can upload (appropriate) profile pics and customization to each profile? Hell maybe even have a chat system so TMs can ask each other questions or even get to know each other. That would be an awesome resource in my opinion!

So a social media that can maybe be accessed on Zebras? Only you can upload (appropriate) profile pics and customization to each profile? Hell maybe even have a chat system so TMs can ask each other questions or even get to know each other. That would be an awesome resource in my opinion!

I think that would be pushing it, with the chat systems. That leaves Target open to whole lot of potential harassment and other inappropriate behavior. Seeing as how they disabled the feature on Branch, I don't see them bringing it back. Have you seen the homepage on Workbench that shows recent announcements? I'm thinking something more along those lines. Just a simple announcements page, that can be tailored for specific teams. For example when the updates came out concerning the zebra printers and their connectivity to mywork2.0, it would have made my life so much easier if I could've just sent that straight to the TMs. And for Flex TMs I would've liked to customized that announcement to how it affected STS and OPU labels.

I think that would be pushing it, with the chat systems. That leaves Target open to whole lot of potential harassment and other inappropriate behavior. Seeing as how they disabled the feature on Branch, I don't see them bringing it back. Have you seen the homepage on Workbench that shows recent announcements? I'm thinking something more along those lines. Just a simple announcements page, that can be tailored for specific teams. For example when the updates came out concerning the zebra printers and their connectivity to mywork2.0, it would have made my life so much easier if I could've just sent that straight to the TMs. And for Flex TMs I would've liked to customized that announcement to how it affected STS and OPU labels.
Good point. I didn't think about the harassment part. But, I can see what you mean. In general though, I think that mywork2.0 had the potential of being much more than it is. As a Cafe TM, I'm usually pretty isolated. I miss out on huddles every night and morning. Since I rarely get to leave the department, I wish I could hear what sort of news is happening in the store. Even if it doesn't relate to my department. I've suggested that maybe once a week we host the huddle in Cafe since we're not busy during our huddle times. I could even give the TMs snacks! They didn't like that idea lol. So, maybe huddle topics are public to all, but department specific topics are also included?

Seconding a need for a real, robust training program for each position, and time dedicated time for new onboards to go through the program before being thrown to the wolves.... er.... guests.

Improved communication is also a must. As a TM who typically only works one shift a week, it is very difficult to keep up with changes. If I work Saturday and a new policy is rolled out Sunday, there's a very good chance that I won't ever hear about it on my next Saturday shift because it's been discussed to death in huddles all week and dropped from the agenda by then. And it needs to be handled in a way that everyone can access. In my store at least, very few front end TMs know about Workbench, and certainly aren't given time to look at it anyway.

So, maybe huddle topics are public to all, but department specific topics are also included?

Yeah like leadership would have the option of posting store-wide, department-wide, or just to specific TMs. Going with my previous example: I could make a store-wide post about how to connect to the printers when using MPM2.0. Then I could also give more detailed instructions just to Flex TMs (Softlines shouldn't have to waste their time reading/hearing about how to make the printer work for STS).

Do you guys think that a better survey system is needed? One that allows you to suggest ideas and state specific problems instead of a scale of 1-5?

Yeah like leadership would have the option of posting store-wide, department-wide, or just to specific TMs. Going with my previous example: I could make a store-wide post about how to connect to the printers when using MPM2.0. Then I could also give more detailed instructions just to Flex TMs (Softlines shouldn't have to waste their time reading/hearing about how to make the printer work for STS).
I really like that idea. I hope that they add something like that. It would solve a lot of the issues the stores has with communication.

Improved communication is also a must. As a TM who typically only works one shift a week, it is very difficult to keep up with changes.

Yes this too. I found it very difficult to status/update TMs that had very limited availabilities. Sometimes I'd plan to be there with them but we all know things happen (they call out, I have to change my schedule, unexpected visits, etc.)

I've recently had an issue at my store with Development which kinda irked me. And made me think that there should be a better way of developing TMs who want to grow in the company.

I've expressed interest in growing in the company, and have told all of the ETLs and my STL about how I want to become an ETL in my future. I've told them this for about 3 years now. They always say "Hey! You're interested in HR! We'll let you know if an opportunity pops up where we need someone in our HR team." Well, they didn't. There was an internship opportunity for HR in my store and they didn't even tell me. When I asked if there was a second internship available, they basically said they didn't realize I wanted the position. Either they were being honest and forgot, or they wanted to keep me in Pizza Hut since I've got 5 years experience and, not to toot my own horn, I have mastered my craft.

In my Training and Development course, I read about a hotel company, InterContinental Hotel Group (IHG). They have something called a "Leaders Lounge". It's an online resource they use to help develop leaders and employees in the company and offers advice and training guides for all potential leaders. Do you guys think that something like this would help?

Do you guys think that a better survey system is needed? One that allows you to suggest ideas and state specific problems instead of a scale of 1-5?
Yes! I hate the current survey. The text blocks could have a character limit so someone doesn't just go off on an endless rant or rambles on forever without ever making a point.
Not sure it's possible, but it'd sure be nice to get of favoritism; I've seen it happen at my store where *certain* people are put on a track to develop into leadership and others who are interested (and qualified!) are not.
Accountability is a big deal in that it doesn't happen. Slackers are allowed to slack. TMs who do their jobs badly just keep doing it badly; sometimes, it because they're a favorite but sometimes they're just allowed to slide. Not sure if it's that the TLs don't want to be seen as tough or what.

So pay and benefits are off the table ok. Modernization/end to end. What a cluster. The best tms in the world can’t out work a crap system or bad management. It takes so many people so much time to finish so much work regardless of how much they are paid. Target has been around long enough that that should have been figured out to the last decimal point. All the posturing, fiddling with numbers and pep rally meetings won’t change the fact that when you don’t finish clean on a shift you have a mess on the line, in the back and on the shelves. Product isn’t in place or tracked. How much is shoved to salvage because no one deals with it? Storage containers for freight? Good Lord. This company is in deep trouble.

Yeah rant. I’m sure op has good intentions. Don’t like modernization though.

Why? Corporate has made it clear they don't give a fuck about our feedback.

And made me think that there should be a better way of developing TMs who want to grow in the company.
There was. Corporate decided a LONG time ago that anyone with a bachelors (regardless of major and work experience) off the street was a better pick for ETL than developing TLs. Even TMs that finish their degrees have to jump through 100x more hoops to get to the same level that recruiters randomly pick out at job fairs.

Yeah rant. I’m sure op has good intentions. Don’t like modernization though.
That's fine. I mostly wanted to know what folks wanted to improve their working lives on the job. Instead of complaints about the job, I wanted to see if there were any shared ideas. I get they probably won't happen but... Figured it wouldn't hurt to talk about it..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back