Archived Threats by former team member, what to do?

Taco Bell or Subway?

• Taco Bell

Votes: 12 52.2%
  • Subway

Votes: 8 34.8%
  • Unicorn Frapp or bust!

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all. I was recently friends with someone who was a former team member at my store, and to make a long story short, We got into a spat and she thought it would be wise to threaten to send in false allegations to my store about me in an attempt to get me fired. Another friend of hers has made repeated, non-work related threats and harassed me on and off for several days.

I certainly take my job security very seriously. Given the situation, what, if anything should I do? I did call HR today, she redirected me to the LOD, he told me I should talk to my departments ETL tomorrow but he mostly sounded preoccupied and disinterested, saying the only real course of action was to call 911 in order to create a "protection plan". I certainly don't want this to go so far that police get involved. I just want to make sure I can maintain my job, and ideally some sort of options I can pursue if/when these people come in to shop (one does do so regularly) as I certainly don't feel comfortable assisting them as guests, let alone even be anywhere near them while I'm working.

I'm 27 years old and far beyond threats and childish drama. What should I do in this situation?

What kind of allegations did she make. A big deal would be if they were allegations related to work compared to personal stuff. With her being gone I have a feeling they would be inclined to take your side.

Regardless document every conversation you have had with a leader trying to clear yourself. It's better to be proactive than reactive in this situation even if from what I hear your store is trying to stay out of this.

If they are "trespassed" what does that mean, exactly?

It means for a set amount of time, usually a year they are not allowed to step foot on the premises with a violation possibly leading to their arrest.

Is it true she hasn't been at the store? This sounds like a personal matter rather than a work matter.

I've already been documenting what I can in regards to the former TM. unfortunately, the person who threatened my job safety did so vocally, and so there's no record of that. For me, that threat takes it from a personal to a work matter. The one who made this threat does pop up at the store fairly regularly. I certainly do fear an encounter with her at work--She tends to come in once a week or so.

The one who's been harassing me with non work related threats doesn't tend to shop at Target, and I'm far more likely to take more traditional legal measures against her if she were to keep bothering me. Mostly, I'm
looking to Target to only protect me from the recurring shopper and former employee who has threatened me off the clock.

I worry since she used to work at my store, leadership may be willing to act against someone they remember fondly. I don't believe she was an unlikable TM, apparently, she just doesn't understand how to conduct herself when she's not working.

In regards to documenting conversations on the matter with leadership--how do I go about that? This morning I simply called in to let them know what was going on. When I go in tomorrow, I imagine it will be an in person meeting. How can I best go about documenting such things?

Last edited:
I've already been documenting what I can in regards to the former TM. unfortunately, the person who threatened my job safety did so vocally, and so there's no record of that. For me, that threat takes it from a personal to a work matter. The one who made this threat does pop up at the store fairly regularly. I certainly do fear an encounter with her at work--She tends to come in once a week or so.

The one who's been harassing me with non work related threats doesn't tend to shop at Target, and I'm far more likely to take more traditional legal measures against her if she were to keep bothering me. Mostly, I'm
looking to Target to only protect me from the recurring shopper and former employee who has threatened me off the clock.

I worry since she used to work at my store, leadership may be willing to act against someone they remember fondly. I don't believe she was an unlikable TM, apparently, she just doesn't understand how to conduct herself when she's not working.

In regards to documenting conversations on the matter with leadership--how do I go about that? This morning I simply called in to let them know what was going on. When I go in tomorrow, I imagine it will be an in person meeting. How can I best go about documenting such things?

I'd use your phone to record anything verbal that happens between you and the 2 people threatening you. Even if your state is a "Two-party consent" state, you can still inform them that you're recording the conversation and that covers you if it continues. Chances are that will get them to clam up in a hurry.

But if only one party needs to be informed of any recording, absolutely do not say anything about the fact you're recording. Because you'll still be able to gather proof of said threats and because you don't risk angering them, which might prompt them to escalate.

Go to AP and notify them that this former employee and a friend is threatening you. Might see them banned from the store, especially if you paint it as a security concern for Target too (a disgruntled former employee is looking to cause harm to Target).

Notify you're direct ETL to proactively protect your job security.

Notify your STL because he or she can make sure anybody who is scheduled to be LOD knows that there's a potential for disturbances/disputes involving former employee and her friend. Also because if there's ever any complaint made from either of these 2 lovely creatures, the STL and ETL-Guest Experience would be the first to be notified of said complaint.

I would keep this out of work and not involve target at all. First it makes you look bad, and a bit immature. Target values guests and money over team members. If they had to chose between a guest willing to spend money and a team member I doubt they will be on your side.

I would keep this out of work and not involve target at all. First it makes you look bad, and a bit immature. Target values guests and money over team members. If they had to chose between a guest willing to spend money and a team member I doubt they will be on your side.

You're saying if I threatened to get you fired, and I regularly shopped, you'd feel absolutely no need to take any action on that?

It sounds like you are leaving a lot of the story out. No one would threaten another person for no reason. If you go to management with half a story, hiding what you did wrong, you will make yourself look bad.

It sounds like you are leaving a lot of the story out. No one would threaten another person for no reason. If you go to management with half a story, hiding what you did wrong, you will make yourself look bad.

This is true, I am not saying this old tm isn't being abusive but if they are going through this much trouble to bother you. Makes one wonder if there is more to the story.

What does she want from you?

AP doesn't take threats lightly, especially if they're a threat to your safety or the security of the store. It sounds to me like the nature of the threat was more of a job threat than a safety threat. As others mentioned, I would take it to your STL and the ETL of your department so they're made aware in case something comes up. If you're concerned for your physical safety, I'd talk to your AP team as well. Anytime a physical threat is made, AP will make a record of it and do their best to gather information in case it stems into something bigger down the road. We had a similar incident at a mall Target a few years back when I worked security at this mall, but it was between a TM and her jealous ex. The ex made threats to the tm as she was checking someone out at the front lanes. The tps called us and we arranged for a trespassing arrest when he refused to leave. The DA almost accepted terroristic threat charges as well. I know your predicament is different but Target attracts a lot of disturbances like this so I'm sure your store's management can help.

I did stuff wrong sure. But I don't think it's relevant. A threat was made, and so I'm letting management know. I'm more than willing to discuss specifics with management if need be and own to things I did, but I don't really think management will care.

This is true, I am not saying this old tm isn't being abusive but if they are going through this much trouble to bother you. Makes one wonder if there is more to the story.

What does she want from you?

To be specific, I was dating the other person, who's been the one bothering me with non work related stuff. She is friends with former TM, she complained about me to said friend, friend seems to think bothering me is equally appropriate.

But actually, no, I did nothing to the former TM but break up with her friend. She just wants to punish me because of that, from what I can gather.

Wishing you the best. That's unfortunate. We have a cashier and hardline tm at my store going thru a breakup.

The risk of working with your significant other is it's hard to get away from them.

For anyone wondering how it went, I spoke to my AP ETL, he was very sympathetic and we agreed it wasn't extreme enough to warrant any sort of direct actions such as having them trespassed, but he did make a note of it and let me know if they come in, I should remove myself from the vicinity if I happen to see them shopping. I thought it went fairly well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back