Archived time off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious if any other stores have issue getting time off approve? At my store you put in and it constantly getting auto deny and there excuse is that they didn't get it.

All the time. My guess is they get them but ignore them or don't see them. Keep checking the status after you submit it. If it hasn't been approved by the day they start working on the week you put in your request for, go to whoever is working on that schedule and tell them you put in for it and got auto denied. Don't wait until the schedule is posted. I just had to do that yesterday.

Sometimes it does get legitimately "lost". You may have submitted the request correctly, but the request might not actually go to anyone. That happened at my store for a bit and really messed a few people up.

Or someone wasn't paying attention to it and let it expire. Or they didn't want to approve it, but didn't have the guts to take responsibility and deny it, so they just let it auto-deny.

Either way, talk to HR about this situation. If it happens again, start talking to them every time you put in the request. As BoxCutter said, just talk to them as soon as you see them after you put in the request so they can approve it that day.

Or someone wasn't paying attention to it and let it expire. Or they didn't want to approve it, but didn't have the guts to take responsibility and deny it, so they just let it auto-deny.

Every time you put in a request tell your ETL.
That way if it does get lost they have no excuse and if they are being passive aggressive dicks, you know that too.

We have one ETL who drags his feet about approving them resulting in lots of autodenials. I tell his team to catch him on a computer and tell him to check it while he is conveniently already on a computer. I don't think he is trying to be a jerk, but he is afraid something will come up as soon as he hits approved.

At one point, I started getting availabilities and time off requests for completely different departments. I didn't want to approve them without consulting with the TL/ETL of that dept. I imagine that this happens fairly frequently, and if no action is taken, it will auto deny.

I think my ETL doesn't like that i put too many time off, but i have a kid. so i make sure to put time off on days my wife is off so we can have family time

Mine are getting auto denied or not approved because my TL and ETL are mad at me.
Ask why. I cannot remember the last time I denied a request. If it is during a blackout period, I can understand, or if you are asking for every weekend, I might have a talk with you about it. If the reason is that there is no one else trained, available, etc. . . then your leaders are not doing their job. Part of their job is to have backups in place. With notice, most reasonable requests should be able to be accommodated.

We only have 3 dayside/closing br tm and I'm one of them. I was denied my anniversary because someone in sfs asked AFTER I requested it off and they got it approved. The TL said if it's so important to me that I could just call out. I told that STL what was going on and now the ETL/TL are pissed at me.

Happy Anniversary!

We are a 6 am store, so sometimes the 6 am guys close when needed (which for us is now 7pm or 830pm). Maybe this is not possible at your store? Tbh, I think most of the TLs at my store would just work it themselves if there really weren't anyone else to cover. I will stand by my previous post--2 people requesting a night off should be able to be accommodated.

Speaking of asking for time off, how long in advance do you guys recommend time off requests be submitted? I start grad school in August and will need some weekends off throughout the semester. I haven't even told my TL or HR that I'm going to grad school so lol I should probably tell them

If yo are still within your 90 day probation, I would talk to my TL and ETL first to explain the what and why of your situation before actually requesting off on specific days, esp. on weekends. A courtesy thing really.

Speaking of asking for time off, how long in advance do you guys recommend time off requests be submitted? I start grad school in August and will need some weekends off throughout the semester. I haven't even told my TL or HR that I'm going to grad school so lol I should probably tell them
The schedule for the first week of August is already posted. They'll start on the second week on Monday (or earlier). Ideally, you should have already put them in. You can do it months in advance. Earlier is better.

I had my request going to no one for a while. I'd submit a request, tell my ETL and HR, and they tell me they don't see it. Or they did find it but it wouldn't let them approve it. Had to have HR manually put in my vacations a few times.

Sometimes it does get legitimately "lost". You may have submitted the request correctly, but the request might not actually go to anyone. That happened at my store for a bit and really messed a few people up.

I had my request going to no one for a while. I'd submit a request, tell my ETL and HR, and they tell me they don't see it. Or they did find it but it wouldn't let them approve it. Had to have HR manually put in my vacations a few times.

That used to happen to me when I was a cashier. Because we went through so many ETLs-GE, there were lengthy periods of time (between GEs) where our requests wouldn't go to any ETL and we had to have HR take care of everything.

We only have 3 dayside/closing br tm and I'm one of them.

Wow. No back-ups in other workcenters who could fill in?

We have morning guys who could do it but nobody wants to close. My TL had to close because of a call out and he lost his shit after an hour. He was cussing and tossed his pda hard as hell on the floor all because of a few ff calls and guest calls. He vanished for a few hours and said he had to do everything possible to not quit on the spot. The amount of ff and calls he got were typical for is regulars lol.

We have morning guys who could do it but nobody wants to close. My TL had to close because of a call out and he lost his shit after an hour. He was cussing and tossed his pda hard as hell on the floor all because of a few ff calls and guest calls. He vanished for a few hours and said he had to do everything possible to not quit on the spot. The amount of ff and calls he got were typical for is regulars lol.
I closed a 1-2 nights a week a few months ago and it was awesome! Blasted music from the radio, finished up the backstock, organized the tubs the way I like them, did 12 steps in the areas I felt like doing, and swept the floors in the main and receiving. Only had a handful of guest calls and SFS took care of any FFs. The only negative was trying to get the 3s pulled in time by myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back