Archived Tips for staying after Xmas (with attendance issues)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Serpentina Solis

"ITS ZUCCHINI WEEKEND!"
I've been at my location for about a month. Unfortunately I had some attendance issues because of (what I now know is) extreme anxiety and MDD (major depressive disorder). I just disclosed my condition to my HR ETL and we came to a great solution to schedule me for shorter shifts but more frequently.

My question is... Is this a repairable situation? I accidentally did a no call no show for a day I didn't realize I was working and have missed days because of illness, switched shifts, and had to leave early from time to time.

My store is literally across the road from my apartment so keeping the job post holiday would be pretty dang cool.​

A no call no show in your 90 days is generally a termination.

As HR we have kind of reached a the point of no return. It's too late to replace a seasonal with another seasonal so unlike the ones who got fired back in November and we had time to hire and train a replacement we have several who we are just trying to get to December 26th with.

Telling your ETL-HR your mental condition was the right step. Letting them know you want to stay is the best next step, and then proving it. More than likely there's already ideas being thrown around of who's not gonna stick around, but nothing official. Just keep your hopes up and perform, show up, and be great! Don't let your past mistakes get you down, while it definitely will go into consideration on whether to keep you or not, I say don't sweat it too much, although easier said than done with anxiety.

I can say all of the obvious things "Don't worry about it" "Just keep up your attendance and performance!" but really you just have to do your best. If you get booted from seasonal, you are able to re-apply to the store because you won't be marked as un-hireable. Just reapply.

ASANTS, and I'm not exactly an expert on this kind of thing, but I'd say that, if they were willing to work with you on that solution, that's probably a good sign.

Hard to say. HRs are required to make reasonable accommodations.

Not to scare the OP off but if you are struggling with your attendance I am curious what you are doing well to make your store consider keeping you.

If you get booted from seasonal, you are able to re-apply to the store because you won't be marked as un-hireable

Again some bad information here (from a well meaning poster).

When you terminate someone from seasonal employment it is considered involuntary and you are supposed to mark their rehire status according to their performance.

Again some bad information here (from a well meaning poster).

When you terminate someone from seasonal employment it is considered involuntary and you are supposed to mark their rehire status according to their performance.

oops, leave it to the professionals.

Is this a repairable situation? I accidentally did a no call no show for a day I didn't realize I was working and have missed days because of illness, switched shifts, and had to leave early from time to time.

The no call hurts. Illness depends on when it happens.

Switched shifts don't hurt at all and leaving early depends on the circumstance and how often it happens.

I have seen seasonals leave early because they were literally throwing up. That's more excusable than someone who leaves because their grandma is dying for the third time.

Can I just.... *sighs*....I mean.... anxiety..... thats a disorder? I mean... I dont want to pick at this fragile rag doll over here.......but like ...... why is anxiety an illness? .... Trust me ..... I am like cringing.........just typing this post........ cause, snowflakes......but like..... why is it ok to accept any “feeling” as an illness. Like I said I am not trying to “invade” the ops “safe space” but Am I the only one that thinks the OPs illnesses are not illnesses at all. The names prescribed to ops “mood swings” and laziness are an excuse for missing work?
I hate to be insensitive, I have seen alot of fragile rag dolls on TBR, looking to validate their shitty immature behaviors..... I have sympathy for real mental issues people have.
I wish op all the best, and hope you can tell your self, you are not sick, or like handicap. You are capable. Dont let (whoever diagnosed your “disorder”) beat you down with this bs mental crap. Take care of yourself and be more than whatever labels you are prescribed. Lastly dont use this bs as an excuse for your poor attendance.

To OP: it's good that you disclosed your medical diagnosis to HR. You might not be able to keep the job after the holidays however, now that you've been diagnosed, I hope you're getting counselling and meds to help combat the stressors.
If you do get to keep your job, just keep working with your ETL's to manage your schedule. If you need some tips and tricks for handling anxiety at work, just PM me.

Can I just.... *sighs*....I mean.... anxiety..... thats a disorder? I mean... I dont want to pick at this fragile rag doll over here.......but like ...... why is anxiety an illness? .... Trust me ..... I am like cringing.........just typing this post........ cause, snowflakes......but like..... why is it ok to accept any “feeling” as an illness. Like I said I am not trying to “invade” the ops “safe space” but Am I the only one that thinks the OPs illnesses are not illnesses at all. The names prescribed to ops “mood swings” and laziness are an excuse for missing work?
I hate to be insensitive, I have seen alot of fragile rag dolls on TBR, looking to validate their shitty immature behaviors..... I have sympathy for real mental issues people have.
I wish op all the best, and hope you can tell your self, you are not sick, or like handicap. You are capable. Dont let (whoever diagnosed your “disorder”) beat you down with this bs mental crap. Take care of yourself and be more than whatever labels you are prescribed. Lastly dont use this bs as an excuse for your poor attendance.
I would love to know just what makes you a more trustworthy judge of the situation here than the mental health professionals the OP has been working with.

I have diagnosed anxiety.

Basically my body doesn't create a specific chemical properly. I take a drug (generic Prozac) to overcome that deficiency. Lack of that drug means I cannot control my behavior--any more than a person with epilepsy can control theirs.

Just like some people with epilepsy, I can identify an incoming attack and put myself in a safe place where I wont cause myself harm (by melting down at work and getting fired) or others (by being a bitch). Others cannot. Imagine having a disease that makes you feel like you need the toilet constantly, so you never know if it is the disease or you are indeed about to poop your pants. Mental illness is like that. You never know if you are in a situation where you should be anxious, or your anxiety is just winding you up.

That said, mental illness isn't an excuse if you aren't being treated. You are responsible for reducing the impact of your disease as much as is reasonable.

I would love to know just what makes you a more trustworthy judge of the situation here than the mental health professionals the OP has been working with.
A mental health professional?

I have diagnosed anxiety.

Basically my body doesn't create a specific chemical properly. I take a drug (generic Prozac) to overcome that deficiency. Lack of that drug means I cannot control my behavior--any more than a person with epilepsy can control theirs.

Just like some people with epilepsy, I can identify an incoming attack and put myself in a safe place where I wont cause myself harm (by melting down at work and getting fired) or others (by being a bitch). Others cannot. Imagine having a disease that makes you feel like you need the toilet constantly, so you never know if it is the disease or you are indeed about to poop your pants. Mental illness is like that. You never know if you are in a situation where you should be anxious, or your anxiety is just winding you up.

That said, mental illness isn't an excuse if you aren't being treated. You are responsible for reducing the impact of your disease as much as is reasonable.
Prozac...... ok, thanks and good luck. I love you.

Okay dude, lets get down on this.

I work with people who have anxiety disorders that are so crippling that not only can they not work at times they can't even leave the house.
Yes, this is a fucking disorder and it can kill you.
Do some reading before you make smarmy, half-cocked comments.
What Are Anxiety Disorders? - https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/anxiety-disorders/what-are-anxiety-disorders

They are not snowflakes.
They are doing the equivalent of dragging themselves to work on two broken legs.
They are g-d damn heroes.

Having people tell you that your problem isn't real or that it is all in your head, is another part of the damned problem.
People who haven't had any experience with mental illness have no understanding of how painful this is and many don't care.
It is hard enough to go to the doctor and get the help you need but this fucking country hates to cover the costs of the people who need the treatment because of that attitude.

A disability is not something that should stop you from succeeding.
I've lived with having my brain being not wired right all my life and I pretty much look at it as a pain in the ass but not something that will stop me from doing what I want.
I don't drive, I have to make choices all the time based on my disability and I have to not get too pissed off when people say stupid things.
Depression and epilepsy aren't the same as anxiety but I do understand.

Thanks, commiecorvus. I couldn't respond without becoming bitchy, which would have made it impossible to convey any actual information. As soon as I saw the post, I knew exactly who it was. Since I joined this forum (and I assume long before then as well), Planoss has repeatedly shown an absolute lack of empathy towards all neurodiverse individuals here and our families.

Planoss dont comment on something you know absolutely nothing about. I too dealt with anxiety issues when I was younger and it cost me my first two jobs before I got a handle on it. If you’ve never dealt with it yourself then you have no Place belittling others that do deal with it. The OP did the right thing in reaching out AND talking to the store about his issues. Stop being ignorant, Try and have some compassion and sensitivity, you’ll live longer.

I’ve been looking at this post thinking of a half descent thing to say, but it’s hard.

Mental disabilities are looked at in two ways in this country for the most part, unfortunately.

Group A) blind, deaf, autistic, and any disability causing somebody to physically not perform a job-are given all sorts of things they need to survive.

Group B) Schitzofrenic, axiety, bipolar, and similar illnesses, are looked at as poor parenting or the victim needing to get their life together.

Both groups are the same. They are the same no matter how you look at it. It saddens me how far everything has come but they designate more special interest to one person over the other.

To answer your question: We don’t know. I don’t know. Spot is amazing at finding places for people and their abilities, but unless you fall in to Group A) it’s generally hard to find and keep a job. It’s not fair. Given your attendance issues, you might not last past New Years.

Expect the worst, but hope for the best. Things might work out.

Okay dude, lets get down on this.

I work with people who have anxiety disorders that are so crippling that not only can they not work at times they can't even leave the house.
Yes, this is a fucking disorder and it can kill you.
Do some reading before you make smarmy, half-cocked comments.
What Are Anxiety Disorders? - https://www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/anxiety-disorders/what-are-anxiety-disorders

They are not snowflakes.
They are doing the equivalent of dragging themselves to work on two broken legs.
They are g-d damn heroes.

Having people tell you that your problem isn't real or that it is all in your head, is another part of the damned problem.
People who haven't had any experience with mental illness have no understanding of how painful this is and many don't care.
It is hard enough to go to the doctor and get the help you need but this fucking country hates to cover the costs of the people who need the treatment because of that attitude.

A disability is not something that should stop you from succeeding.
I've lived with having my brain being not wired right all my life and I pretty much look at it as a pain in the ass but not something that will stop me from doing what I want.
I don't drive, I have to make choices all the time based on my disability and I have to not get too pissed off when people say stupid things.
Depression and epilepsy aren't the same as anxiety but I do understand.
Thanks for the clarification....

Thanks, commiecorvus. I couldn't respond without becoming bitchy, which would have made it impossible to convey any actual information. As soon as I saw the post, I knew exactly who it was. Since I joined this forum (and I assume long before then as well), Planoss has repeatedly shown an absolute lack of empathy towards all neurodiverse individuals here and our families.
“In the land of the blind, one eyed man is the king”.
Just look, look at the masses, congregating in self pity, and lost in thy selves. Champions of diversity! Gender diversity, race/culture and now mental diversity.
but.
We must all think alike, and have the same opinion concerning matters that lay on a spectrum ranging from pseudo science, to personal and religious beliefs.
Its ok to belittle people of different opinions. Its ok to clap your hands in victory when shunning someone that merely expressed an opinion in text on a website. That is ok.
Now , speaking of you and your “FAMILY” I dont know you , or your family. Although you do seem butt hurt by me , even though we haven’t interacted at all.
So lets hold our heads up high, us, the champions of diversity.

Planoss, let's just say you left a very distinct impression on me from my very first day here. Calling your coworkers (or was it another TBR member? can't recall) retarded and then getting butthurt yourself when several members here called you on it.

Planoss, let's just say you left a very distinct impression on me from my very first day here. Calling your coworkers (or was it another TBR member? can't recall) retarded and then getting butthurt yourself when several members here called you on it.
Ok. Thanks.

Thanks for the clarification....

Always glad to help.
Especially since you are now leading a team and will need to meet standards under the Americans with Disabilities Act.
It's really long but what it breaks down to is that you have to offer reasonable accommodations to people with disabilities so that they can work.
This includes the ones with 'invisible' disabilities, you know, the ones you aren't so sure about.

I can go into all the details of why this is a good idea.
How people with disabilities have a much higher unemployment rate and by hiring them it reduces the costs in SSI, SSDI, medical insurance, and improves their mental health but lets just stick with the fact that it is the law.
If you don't do it they can sue you.

I work for a state/federal agency that helps people with disabilities get jobs and send them to the right agencies so they can sue if it comes to that.
We take care of our people no matter what kind of issues they have, and there is a reason I take this shit personally over and above having been a client at one time.
This world is a better place when people with disabilities are allowed to be part of the process and not shuffled off into the corner.

There was a time when we were relegated to being beggars or in the case of people with epilepsy, they were still sterilizing us all the way up until the 1950s here in the US.
Hitler actually patterned some of the ways he used to deal with people with disabilities after the medical programs we had here.
Once again, there is a reason I take this shit personally.

Empathy is an amazing thing.
You can get really far by imagining yourself in the place of another.
What would your life be like if you woke up gripped by a fear you couldn't identify and couldn't control?
That ran through your mind constantly? That made you sick to your stomach and knotted your muscles?
But you go out and deal because you have to but IT. NEVER. FUCKING. GOES. AWAY.

Maybe you can't imagine it.
Maybe it isn't something that you can feel or hold on to but understand there are people out there who live with things like that every day.
You having some patience, understanding, and kindness will make all the difference in the world.

And besides, like I said, it's the law.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back