1. The Break Room is NOT an official service of Target Corp.
    This is a site run by regular people who are off the clock.
    We do not perform any HR related services, or affect any internal information regarding Target.
    Dismiss Notice

Tips on becoming a team lead?

Discussion in 'Leadership' started by Nokiddiegloves, Oct 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Nokiddiegloves

Nokiddiegloves Active Member

I know that to become a team lead is all about individual interest and some cases the talent is scouted by leadership team. Ive expressed an interest and been given the core values. However, I want to know how to be considered a leader? What can I do to stand out? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. HRZone

HRZone Well-Known Member

What is your work center now? How much experience do you have?

We have a GSA who has been moved to TL bench after only a month!

3. Nokiddiegloves

@HRZone- Harlines. Target experience or leadership experience? Almost every job I have Ive been promoted as a lead.

SASSYJJ likes this.
  4. HRZone

HRZone Well-Known Member

At my store out latest TL was a team trainer/learning mentor. She always took new TMs under her wing and brought them up to code. Really raised her profile in the store.

Apapaia likes this.
  5. Hardlinesmaster

Hardlinesmaster Well-Known Member

Being global & willing to work hard. Spot might of notice your performance in soft lines & deli.

6. Nokiddiegloves

I am gobal and work extremely hard. I work so hard that I hadn't really made work friends.

7. Spitfire

Spitfire ETL on bench

Reposting from another reply of mine on this topic:

For example, when I was a HLTM yearning for development, my TL made me "in charge" of plastics. What it really was was that his ETL was always getting on him about the zone and fill of plastics, lol. but I took it as an opportunity. Every day when I came in I'd make sure it was zoned to planogram, researched, accurately signed, and that the plastics endcaps were full, impactful and shouted value. After a few weeks of me doing this, sales in plastics actually saw a small boost. When I moved to electronics, having proved myself in plastics (as silly as that sounds) I was put "in charge" of electronics in very much the same capacity, except this was one that also required me to leverage my peers and establish their buy-in.

Like I said, get a responsibility (or even straight up tell them what you'll be focusing on) and then manage the hell out of it.

Apapaia, Yetive and Hardlinesmaster like this.
  8. TM2

TM2 Member

Make sure you actually want it :)

Yetive likes this.
  9. glo

glo Well-Known Member

You can work hard and make friends! Politics is part of it, and getting along well with your fellow team members, future possible peers, and leaders is important.

Working hard and keeping your head down will get you labeled as simply a hard worker and not a team lead prospect.

PassinTime, SitSpotSit and Yetive like this.
  10. Yetive

Yetive Servant of 2 Masters

I have to say that I've never seen anyone promoted to TL without the support of other TLs.

11. Nokiddiegloves

Update-I was asked if I wanted to start working target café. This seems like the complete opposite of sales team leader. Im trying to figure out how I go from given sales floor team lead core values to working target café...

12. pinkp2ie

pinkp2ie Active Member

Agreeded, recently our BRTL left, so our flow TL moved over to BRTL and they hired within the new flow TL which she has support from the ETL-LOG a lot- she came from Hardlines...

13. commiecorvus

commiecorvus Former Signing Ninja Moderator

14. Nokiddiegloves

No not a TL position

15. glo

glo Well-Known Member

FA is completely isolated from the store. I wouldn't take it.

PassinTime and Xanatos like this.
  16. SrTLall

SrTLall Active Member

Our store basically has no one on the bench and not a lot of quality talent left (promoted 3 TMs to TL over the last year) to choose from. STL pulls me in to her office with another ETL and asks me who I thought we should put on the bench. After looking bewildered for a couple seconds she gave me 2 options and I laughed at both saying - 'can you imagine those TMs holding someone accountable?' Next day, I learn one of them has become a TL, LOL.

17. Yetive

Yetive Servant of 2 Masters

:eek:

redeye58 likes this.
  18. tgtguy

tgtguy Well-Known Member

Make sure it is something that you really want. Think long and hard about it . Also make sure you know that there is politics involved. Heaven forbid someone would actually be promoted because they are a hard worker and deserve it I have seen tms passed over promotion simply because they didn't kiss the right hiney.

H2Owned and Hardlinesmaster like this.
  19. Nokiddiegloves

My arch nemesis sucks up so much. I would feel more threatened if she wasn't just barely 18 but you know that makes you automatically leadership material. I dont like favoritism. Like me for my job and the work I do not because im buddy buddy with everyone.

20. PassinTime

PassinTime Guest

Other than possibly getting you more hours, I don't see any benefit to addding FA to your repitoire. Can't see it helping you move to TL. I'm guessing they are desperate for help in FA.

Xanatos likes this.