Archived Tips on becoming a team lead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So slowly losing hope in Target- found out we are getting a new HL TL because the old one is moving back home to be closer to home. Instead of just doing interviews they just let someone from another district transfer in. I almost just want to be a HRTM so I can just work m-f and deal with no disappointment.

Not all HRTM work m-f. I am a HRTM and work some weekends.

Word. If necessary I work overnights, weekends, nights. 10-15% of my shifts in the past year weren't even in HR.
The TM before me only did M-F 9am-5pm but was not interested in developing so that worked for her.

Word. If necessary I work overnights, weekends, nights. 10-15% of my shifts in the past year weren't even in HR.
The TM before me only did M-F 9am-5pm but was not interested in developing so that worked for her.

Same here. I will work some evenings, weekends and even overnight if needed. I spend most of my time in HR but I am always willing to help out in other work centers and learn new work centers.

Nice! Yeah even though I write my own schedule I am very flexible with it.

During Q4 I worked a set schedule Mon thru Friday but now that its slowed down I am working in hardlines.

We never have HR in on weekends other than my ETL, but the store I trained at had 2 full time HRTMS so they had someone wednesday thru sunday and someone who worked monday thru friday with some overlap.

I saw some stores have an HRTL position. I wish we did...

My HR works weekends and nights sometimes. Does orientations on Saturdays frequently, and because so many tms work nights only, she works some closes to be available.

During Q4 I worked a set schedule Mon thru Friday but now that its slowed down I am working in hardlines.

We never have HR in on weekends other than my ETL, but the store I trained at had 2 full time HRTMS so they had someone wednesday thru sunday and someone who worked monday thru friday with some overlap.

I really thought all stores had at least a HRTL.. So the ETL of HR does the orientations and training for new tm's or do one of you guys have the "honors"?

I really thought all stores had at least a HRTL.. So the ETL of HR does the orientations and training for new tm's or do one of you guys have the "honors"?
I think you have to make at least $50 mil a year to recieve an HRTL. Most stores without one use their HRTM(s) for orientation.

We do not (and we are a high volume store) I think the store has to have a certain value (edit thanks Targhetto) for HRTL. Yes our ETL HR does the orientations. But I know at certain stores HRTMs do it.

We have an ETL-HR, HRTL, and two HRTMs. The HRTMs work 9-5 hours, but the others don't.

98% of the orientations are on me. I think it has been almost a year since my ETL had an orientation. But it works out great, we are a very good team and she will take anything off my plate if I need to do orientation. At the same time when she has business college/vacation/anything else I will take over her position completely with the STL blessing

At my store the ETL-HR hires people and HR TMs do orientations.

I write my own schedule as well. As long as I get all HR related things done, my HR ETL doesn't care what time I come and what time I leave. I can not be off Mondays (payroll) and Thursdays (schedule).
I am the only HR TM at my store which is nice because I get most of my hours in HR but I can work other work centers as well.
My HR ETL does the orientation but they want me to start doing them this year. I screen all applicants, set them up for interviews and do the hiring process. I do most terms as well.

We do not have a HRTL position. What is the difference between the HR TL and HR TM?

We do not have a HRTL position. What is the difference between the HR TL and HR TM?

In addition to an additional 3 to 5 dollars in pay think HRTLs are in stores with multiple HRTMs. I know in some stores the ETL HR is the assistant STL and so I would assume they probably delegate even more to their HRTLs.

I think the biggest difference is rather than simply setting up interviews. HRTLs actually perform interviews. I have done job offers before but have never done an interview (for example on Jas my name doesnt even show up on the interviewer list)

In addition to an additional 3 to 5 dollars in pay think HRTLs are in stores with multiple HRTMs. I know in some stores the ETL HR is the assistant STL and so I would assume they probably delegate even more to their HRTLs.

I think the biggest difference is rather than simply setting up interviews. HRTLs actually perform interviews. I have done job offers before but have never done an interview (for example on Jas my name doesnt even show up on the interviewer list)

I would like an additional $3-$5 ;). My name is not on the JAS interviewer list either, only TLs, ETLs and the STL Names. Sounds like only very high volume stores get HR TL.

My store has an HRTL. At one point we had two but then again my store is a really weird store.

I wouldn't say FA is a bad area to get promoted to/from. I'm currently in training for FATL. I was overseeing FA and was on bench. Another TL from a different area was overseeing FA while my TL was on leave. I took it upon myself to do what I needed to do to keep it up and running and all the ETLs and STL noticed my hard work. Even though I wasn't being paid for my hard work, I would rather be praised for being a hard worker rather than having constant asking and badgering of why my performance is subpar.

I was mentored from my trainer that if I had a desire to move up with Target, being global was one of the factors which would help; I'd help the store where I know I can, hardlines, softlines, reshops, hopping on to help the line, small stuff like that to show my work ethic and skills. When we were closed, I took shifts or helped in other areas and I made it a point to learn all I could while I was there. I would ask other TLs if they needed help, I would be willing to take on some tasks and learn new areas. I learned how to pull from the backroom if a guest wanted an item, electronics, softlines-minus operator- and some backroom things like the equipment -compactor, jack, wave, etc.. They also mentioned RCs, but that was never my strong suit-Probably only had 1 since I started with Spot, and the guest literally walked up and asked for it.

I was made trainer while other TL was watching. But like others have said, it is isolated from the rest of the store in general. I've learn to rely on myself, not the ETLs so much in regards to FA issues-with the exception of steritech and PH. If you're okay with being independent from the whole store, working alone most of the time, FA isn't a bad place to go to. It's a lot of hard work, that being said, to work in the kitchen.

I wouldn't say FA is a bad area to get promoted to/from. I'm currently in training for FATL. I was overseeing FA and was on bench. Another TL from a different area was overseeing FA while my TL was on leave. I took it upon myself to do what I needed to do to keep it up and running and all the ETLs and STL noticed my hard work. Even though I wasn't being paid for my hard work, I would rather be praised for being a hard worker rather than having constant asking and badgering of why my performance is subpar.

I was mentored from my trainer that if I had a desire to move up with Target, being global was one of the factors which would help; I'd help the store where I know I can, hardlines, softlines, reshops, hopping on to help the line, small stuff like that to show my work ethic and skills. When we were closed, I took shifts or helped in other areas and I made it a point to learn all I could while I was there. I would ask other TLs if they needed help, I would be willing to take on some tasks and learn new areas. I learned how to pull from the backroom if a guest wanted an item, electronics, softlines-minus operator- and some backroom things like the equipment -compactor, jack, wave, etc.. They also mentioned RCs, but that was never my strong suit-Probably only had 1 since I started with Spot, and the guest literally walked up and asked for it.

I was made trainer while other TL was watching. But like others have said, it is isolated from the rest of the store in general. I've learn to rely on myself, not the ETLs so much in regards to FA issues-with the exception of steritech and PH. If you're okay with being independent from the whole store, working alone most of the time, FA isn't a bad place to go to. It's a lot of hard work, that being said, to work in the kitchen.

Cafe is still not the easiest place to use work, but it has come a LONG way in being more user-friendly. I heard a while ago of another vendor was going to be taking over Cafe sort of like CVS took over the pharmacy. I wonder if anything is ever going to become of that.

Cafe is still not the easiest place to use work, but it has come a LONG way in being more user-friendly. I heard a while ago of another vendor was going to be taking over Cafe sort of like CVS took over the pharmacy. I wonder if anything is ever going to become of that.
We have Freshii's.

As far as I know, my FA isn't leaving anytime soon. People love the pizzas and popcorn too much.

Just had the SRSFTL-Hardlines-today-come up to me and say they're leaving and wanted me to take their spot. Has their ever been a FA/SFTL lol-I've heard of GSTL overlooking, etc? Wondering if my store would let me do both....

So they kinda dropped the whole lets throw me in FA. I actually no longer have any talks about my development. Must have lost faith in me.

Just plain ask. Never "assume" in this business, always do your best to get concrete answers. One thing I have learned over my years with this company is to get the facts. All that grey area, I leave for the birds!!

I wouldn't say they lost hope in you. I thought they didn't recognize my hard work in the beginning, but they're always watching. I know that now. I would keep doing what you do best, and keep "bugging" them, You never know what they're thinking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back