Archived Tips on sending effective emails

Status
Not open for further replies.

consume

凸(-_-)凸
Anyone got any? I'm especially interested in hearing from an ETL

Keep them short and to the point. If you need to go on a little longer or have requests or a list of what you need done etc., bullet point it out. Always use a salutation and a complimentary close on the first email. Replies may be more relaxed.

Short and concise is the most important. No one wants to read emails that go on and on.

I've adapted what my high school English teacher told me was the best way to write papers to writing emails... Papers should be like a girl's skirt: Long enough to cover everything important, but short enough to keep it interesting.

Last edited:
@sigma7 that's awesome info, keep it up breakroom!

Last edited:
Keep them short and to the point. If you need to go on a little longer or have requests or a list of what you need done etc., bullet point it out. Always use a salutation and a complimentary close on the first email. Replies may be more relaxed.

Short and concise is the most important. No one wants to read emails that go on and on.

I've adapted what my high school English teach told me was the best way to write papers to writing emails...Papers should be like a girl's skirt. Long enough to cover everything important, but short enough to keep it interesting.

How can I give you more likes? :(

Okay, so here's another aspect I'm curious about, most of these have been about basic English:

What are the best ways to arm an email

(Example, needing another tl to help you follow up and cc Etl to give them more motivation to complete it and covering your ass, I know there's gotta be more)

It really depends on the situation. If it's something that I need a lot of support on, I will either send an email to the entire ETL/TL team, or I will send it to just the ETLs. If I need to remind ETLs to do the PFresh walk, banana receiving, acknowledging and using the push app for FDC deliveries, etc. I will usually send an email to the entire exec team. If I need to clarify scheduling stuff then I will send it to my ETL or the hardlines schedule writer and then cc the other one and my ETL HR and STL. If the email is regarding a request that I feel I might get pushback on, then I will email it to whoever I need help from and I cc my ETL and possibly my STL. It really just depends on the situation.

I use a generic salutation if I'm sending the email to more than one person (not including cc or bcc). I personalize the salutation if it's to one person (again, not including cc or bcc).

I like to use email to keep all pertinent parties clued in to what I'm working on, situations I'm dealing with, and any other strategies that they need to know. I work almost opposite of my ETL and I'm closing more than opening most weeks this semester. Email is vital to my communication and partnerships in the store.

A good header helps to get people to read your emails.
Kind of like clickbait for websites.
Read This And You Will Get Candy.
If You Don't Read This The Store Will Blow Up.
How To Lose Weight By Reading Email.
That kind of thing.

Okay, so here's another aspect I'm curious about, most of these have been about basic English:

(Example, needing another tl to help you follow up and cc Etl to give them more motivation to complete it and covering your ass, I know there's gotta be more)

That's the easiest way to get me not to do as you wanted. Do you honestly think that's going to help your cause? It creates resentment and shows a complete lack of respect.

That's the easiest way to get me not to do as you wanted. Do you honestly think that's going to help your cause? It creates resentment and shows a complete lack of respect.

My ETL constantly tells me that I'm not communicating enough because he doesn't get CC'ed on all the emails I send my peers. It's a lose-lose situation if the other team leads feel as you do. At least I'm covering my own ass by adding him to emails now.

I started printing pertinent emails for our weekly meeting for the "Duh, I didn't know that" moments. My peers are getting better at reading emails now.

A good header helps to get people to read your emails.
Kind of like clickbait for websites.
Read This And You Will Get Candy.
If You Don't Read This The Store Will Blow Up.
How To Lose Weight By Reading Email.
That kind of thing.
Headers to get their attention:
"About that armed robber yesterday...."
"You'll never guess who I caught in the CA closet!"
"Re: the hooker in the BR"

I use different color fonts and highlights. What I need them to do is highlighted, the reasons why are in normal font.
Special dates, etc, I use a different color font. One of my ETLs just reads info that isn't in black :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back