Archived Tips on sending effective emails

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so here's another aspect I'm curious about, most of these have been about basic English:

What are the best ways to arm an email

(Example, needing another tl to help you follow up and cc Etl to give them more motivation to complete it and covering your ass, I know there's gotta be more)
lately we use pics. hey this is how your team screwed up. we talked to you about this.

Keep them short and sweet, and include everyone it relates to. I can't tell you how many things I've skipped over at Target, and how many emails I put off at work now, because they're literally a page-long block of text.

I asked my STL today if I could req-out an Etch-E-Sketch to use as our e-mail between us Market Team Members (I am a PA)..

Afterwards, I started thinking a Light Bright might be better.

Magnadoodle.

Or if that fails, find a peppy cashier to deliver a singing telegram.

We just went over business communication in one of my classes. Here are some tips I jotted down:

Concise
  • Eliminate excess words and redundancies
  • Eliminate phrases and use descriptive terms
Clarity
  • Avoid vague or ambiguous words
  • Avoid clichés
  • Use an active voice
Completeness
  • Include all necessary information
Courtesy
  • Bad news: explain, then deliver
  • Good news: deliver, then explain
  • Avoid being sexist
Correctness
  • Use the correct words
  • Use simple words
  • Appropriate adjectives

Tips pertaining specifically to email:
  • Brief, informative subject line
  • One topic
  • Respectful
  • Proper grammar
  • Keep a copy for yourself

I use different color fonts and highlights. What I need them to do is highlighted, the reasons why are in normal font.
Special dates, etc, I use a different color font. One of my ETLs just reads info that isn't in black :)

YES! Highlight in green or yellow the most important points or your summary. Heck even the name of the person you are addressing if multiple people are on the email. Most people skim emails and just want to know what THEY need to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back