Archived TL Incompetence

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

leo443

Does anyone else have an incompetent or inefficient TL/GSA??

I have worked at Target for almost a year, and the entire time I've been Guest Service, I feel like I am always picking up slack, not only for other TMs, but my GSA. I work in a very low volume store, so we only have two GSAs (unless one of them is on vacation, in that case, a SrTL may GSTL or someone who was once a GSA/GSTL but has transferred to a different position will overlook the front). One of our GSAs almost literally never does her job.

She often comes in two or more hours late, she stays on her lunch for more than an hour, stays on her break for more than 30 mins, etc. (Our store is not very "on top" when it comes to attendance). There was once a day she came in on time, only to spend two hours in the bathroom doing her makeup!!! She never cashiers or does basic tasks like bringing the defectives to receiving (which, if she does, takes 2-3 hours), processing paid and lefts, zoning, etc. I don't expect her to do everything by any means, but I work at a store where GS team members are expected to cashier AND do returns, pull orders, etc.

I feel like I have to do EVERYTHING when she is GSA: she gives me all these tasks to do while she goes and chats at Starbucks or with other TMs!!! Obviously I don't mind doing my part, but like I said, it's a low volume store, so there are many days when I'm one of 3 people working the front.

Our other GSA is amazing: she helps cashier when we get busy, she gets defectives done in 15 minutes, and takes her breaks in a realistic amount of time.

Do any of you have problems like this with your TLs or other superiors???

Sorry to hear that. You need to speak up. Who knows, if you show leadership characteristics it may help you.

No problems like that with any of my direct TLs, they bust ass. Its logistics afterall. Cant say we have any TLs with these attributes really at all though...there is one GSTL who has attitude but she makes up for it by driving sales and a damn good front end. Our ETLs on the other hand are a much different story. But this paragraph may get lengthy so im not gonna. :p

Sorry to hear that. You need to speak up. Who knows, if you show leadership characteristics it may help you.

No problems like that with any of my direct TLs, they bust ass. Its logistics afterall. Cant say we have any TLs with these attributes really at all though...there is one GSTL who has attitude but she makes up for it by driving sales and a damn good front end. Our ETLs on the other hand are a much different story. But this paragraph may get lengthy so im not gonna. :p
Lucky you!! I would kill to have a team like that.

They wouldn't last I'm my store. We're high traffic though and someone would notice.

You have to speak up though. If this is consistent talk to your ETL or STL and let them know what's up. I know it may feel like snitching, but they're supposed to be there to oversee everything in the frontend. You should feel like you have their support.

Since she is taking all these breaks and coming in late how is it that the ETL's in the store are not aware of this? I know in our store mine needs to notify the LOD when they come one duty and leave the front. If mine was gone for 15 minutes they would know. Since I work at GS I am usually the one doing defectives and paid and lefts. Most of running GS is left to us who work there.

My backroom TL is incompetent in the sense that he has zero leadership skills. He's a pretty good and hardworking TM though.

Since she is taking all these breaks and coming in late how is it that the ETL's in the store are not aware of this? I know in our store mine needs to notify the LOD when they come one duty and leave the front. If mine was gone for 15 minutes they would know. Since I work at GS I am usually the one doing defectives and paid and lefts. Most of running GS is left to us who work there.

I know an LOD has to clock you in if you're more than 5 mins late, and she's been coached on this, however now she comes in, clocks in on time, and sits in the breakroom for the first hour of her shift eating/chatting with other TMs.

My backroom TL is incompetent in the sense that he has zero leadership skills. He's a pretty good and hardworking TM though.
She definitely has some leadership skills... telling us what to do while she's offstage applying lipstick!!!!!

I was the GSA who did everything while another GSA lazed about. She would often tell me that "we were all in this together" and was constantly paranoid that I'd go to our ETL and report it. I did in fact, and said ETL shrugged it off and said maybe I was the problem! So it's true unfortunately that some people are untouchable. If I did anything wrong no matter how minor, I was getting coached for it. But lazy GSA could shoot the shit all day with her favorite GSTM and upper leadership turned a blind eye.

I think every store has so-called "leaders" like this. You just have to take comfort in the fact that their luck will eventually run out, and catch up to them. If you *really* want to get it fixed, go to HR, to your STL. Go up the chain until someone gives a shit...

...the problem with that is, it's very likely nobody gives a shit. Because your ETLs and STL are guilty of the same BS.

It has to be noticed on how this GSA is not transferring coverage of the Front End.

In this case, I would document on any instances and have plenty of witnesses to back you up. And bring up concerns with your GSTL then move to your ETL. But you may have to go to the Hotline to report anonymously.

Last edited:
It has to be noticed on how this GSA is not transferring coverage of the Front End.

I've seen her backup cashier only a handful of times during my entire time with Spot, and it seems she only jumps on when an LOD is present.

One of my GSAs everytime I say hi to her or attempt to talk to her about something work related it's often just a blank stare.

"Hey, [GSAs name]!" -GSA stares, waiting to say hey at last second as if she came to her senses.- "Hey."

"Thanks for helping me, [GSA's name], with that customer!" -looks at me, walks away.-

It's more like I'm just making fun of her because at least to me, she's not always like this. Me and her can be friendly, but I've noticed she does this, even when she has the day off and she comes in and I'll say "Hey." if I'm at SCO or something. But I always thought most of my front end leaders we're super good. Sometimes they forgot SCO breaks or it's time for us to get off, but now they're actually scheduling cashiers as "SCO" and sticking to it... whoever has SCO on their name on their Break Sheet goes to SCO for the entirety of their shift and someone is usually scheduled to take over when person is off or needs a break. It's nice.

I've seen her backup cashier only a handful of times during my entire time with Spot, and it seems she only jumps on when an LOD is present.
Isn't the other GSTL/GSA wondering where this GSA is at to transfer coverage? Don't they need to leave when this GSA is arriving.

One of my GSAs everytime I say hi to her or attempt to talk to her about something work related it's often just a blank stare.

"Hey, [GSAs name]!" -GSA stares, waiting to say hey at last second as if she came to her senses.- "Hey."

"Thanks for helping me, [GSA's name], with that customer!" -looks at me, walks away.-

Lol!! I feel like I have this relationship with some TLs :D

Isn't the other GSTL/GSA wondering where this GSA is at to transfer coverage? Don't they need to leave when this GSA is arriving.
We don't always have a leader up front for whatever reason. Today, we didn't have a GSA until 5:00pm. But yes, they typically just leave anyways, regardless of whether or not the GSA has arrived since she is so notorious for being late.

If any of my former stores saw that a GSTL/GSA was off-stage and didn't transfer keys/coverage properly for the Front. There @ss Would Be Grass.

Definitely document in detail and get witnesses to back you up.

We don't always have a leader up front for whatever reason. Today, we didn't have a GSA until 5:00pm. But yes, they typically just leave anyways, regardless of whether or not the GSA has arrived since she is so notorious for being late.
How does a store not have a leader or GSA up front all day? This doesn't sound right.

Not saying OP is lying but it could be an exaggeration. Our cashier's have a GSA they don't like, they complain and exaggerate the stuff she does to leadership.

Leaders can get away with bs but I have a hard time believing a leader can get away with the behavior described.

Last edited:
Not saying OP is lying but it could be an exaggeration. Our cashier's have a GSA they don't like they complain about and they exaggerate the stuff she does to leadership.

I have a hard time believing a leader can get away with the behavior described
We've had issues with GSA's they don't like, but not seeing them for most of the day would be reported to the ETL's. Coupled with the comment of not having one until 5pm makes me think something is not right. How do you not have a GSA until 5pm?

We've had issues with GSA's they don't like, but not seeing them for most of the day would be reported to the ETL's. Coupled with the comment of not having one until 5pm makes me think something is not right. How do you not have a GSA until 5pm?
Today we don't have a GSA until 2:30. We are a very understaffed and low volume store.

Not saying OP is lying but it could be an exaggeration. Our cashier's have a GSA they don't like, they complain and exaggerate the stuff she does to leadership.

Leaders can get away with bs but I have a hard time believing a leader can get away with the behavior described.
It's not that I don't like her, because she is a genuinely nice person, and plus she doesnt care what gets done and what doesnt, so on days when we're busy some things just dont get done. I dont dislike her but I dislike having to constantly pick up slack. I wish I was lying or exaggerating, lol. Our store is very notorious for letting TMs get away with stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back