TL pay bump?

In my store, mgmt is doing reviews and giving merit raises about 1-2 weeks before the company wide incremental base pay raises (on the way up to $15 base wage in 2020). This is no accident. This convenient timing is saving Target a huge amount in payroll dollars, at the expense of their existing team members. In my view, Target should be giving the annual reviews and merit raises AFTER the company-wide incremental pay raises, not BEFORE. By doing merit raises a week or two before the annual base pay raises, any existing employee that is below the minimum base wage is basically losing their annual merit raise. Consequently, that employee ends up at the exact same base wage as a brand new employee coming in off the street. Target's TM merit raises are traditionally pretty small, so I'm not saying I should make $2 hour more than a new employee. However, awarding the small merit raises after the company wide raises would at least be some kind of small measure, allowing a 40 year old long-term TM to make a little more than a 16 year old kid coming in for their first job. When Amazon announced their company wide minimum wage was being raised last year to $15/hour, they also announced that all EXISTING employees were getting a raise above the $15 company minimum, to reward them for their prior years of service. Is this not a reasonable thing to ask?

In my store, mgmt is doing reviews and giving merit raises about 1-2 weeks before the company wide incremental base pay raises (on the way up to $15 base wage in 2020). This is no accident. This convenient timing is saving Target a huge amount in payroll dollars, at the expense of their existing team members. In my view, Target should be giving the annual reviews and merit raises AFTER the company-wide incremental pay raises, not BEFORE. By doing merit raises a week or two before the annual base pay raises, any existing employee that is below the minimum base wage is basically losing their annual merit raise. Consequently, that employee ends up at the exact same base wage as a brand new employee coming in off the street. Target's TM merit raises are traditionally pretty small, so I'm not saying I should make $2 hour more than a new employee. However, awarding the small merit raises after the company wide raises would at least be some kind of small measure, allowing a 40 year old long-term TM to make a little more than a 16 year old kid coming in for their first job. When Amazon announced their company wide minimum wage was being raised last year to $15/hour, they also announced that all EXISTING employees were getting a raise above the $15 company minimum, to reward them for their prior years of service. Is this not a reasonable thing to ask?
You work in retail seniority means nothing. You’re doing the same work, you get the same pay. Also you’re still making more than you would if they didn’t do a minimum increase. People need to stop being so concerned about what everyone else makes

I disagree, 'seniority' at Target means you do usually do more work, including additional tasks based on experience, limited training, etc. I don't care if it's retail or any other job, employees that have been with a company longer generally make more than new employees, even at Target. BTW, I'm only making 5 cents more an hour than I was after my merit raise, so no that doesn't cut it. At minimum, I should be making the amount of my most recent merit raise over the base wage at this point. In my view, Target is intentionally getting by on the cheap as they implement these wage increases. If they would only switch their schedule and give the merit raises AFTER the base pay increases, this issue would take care of itself. I think it's very questionable that they are doing it the way that they are. Many other companies, retail and others, are NOT doing it this way, for the reasons I've just outlined.

You work in retail seniority means nothing. You’re doing the same work, you get the same pay. Also you’re still making more than you would if they didn’t do a minimum increase. People need to stop being so concerned about what everyone else makes
I don't agree with this. I have been with the company a little over 5 years and we just had the incremental pay increase. My pay went up .05 cents because of the increase. I am doing more work and training new people and they are making the same amount of money as I am. They do not know how to do CO, work the service desk, cover the front, and I am also cross-trained in other areas of the store.

I doubt the TM's with 20+ years make $19.50

The yearly raise tends to be around $0.30.

$0.30 x 20 = $6.00

Base pay was $9.00 in 2014, it will be $15.00 next year, there goes all their raises from 20 years.
Actually my receiver makes 25.59 $ so yes it’s possible. You might wonder how I know , I give his reviews every year .

I don't agree with this. I have been with the company a little over 5 years and we just had the incremental pay increase. My pay went up .05 cents because of the increase. I am doing more work and training new people and they are making the same amount of money as I am. They do not know how to do CO, work the service desk, cover the front, and I am also cross-trained in other areas of the store.
But you’re still making more than you would if target didn’t raise their minimum.

Gee, that .05 cent raise made my day. And you made the point that we are doing the same work. Trust me, I am not doing the same work as a new person; I am doing more and I have more responsibility.
So if you were making $12

Merit increase $.50
New wage $12.50

But since the minimum went up now you’re making $13.

This scenario applies to 95% of team members that got a merit increase this past year and last year. So yes you’re making more than you would have.

Other than once a few years ago, they’ve ALWAYS done it this way. I was affected by this in the early 90s when TL pay was only $6.25.

Back