Archived TL to ETL without a degree. and...

Status
Not open for further replies.
We recently have had one of our TL's promoted to ETL, they have no degree, and have been allowed to stay at our store.

I for one think this is awesome.

It is always easier to work harder for someone you fought with in the trenches before, and have a history with.

Not only that, but it has provided everyone TL and under at our store a huge morale boost to see someone actually get, what they deserve and gave everyone a glimmer of hope that it can get better with a huge amount of hard work.

I am just wondering if anyone has ever heard of this, or it is something new?

I know a TL (without a degree) --> ETL is a rarity by itself, but to be able to stay in the same store you were a TL for a few years at I have never heard of.

I didn't think it was possible.

Do you have anything you can share with us about how Target let it happen?

I do not, unfortunately

I do know that we have a very good group of TL's (and I could easily see this happen again in the future at our store with maybe even having two of them moving up). We also had one of our ETLs move up to be our STL, within the last year and a half (Who I think had alot to probably do with this(He/She is awesome), but I am not sure if this is as unheard of as this previous promotion.

Last edited:
Old-school DTL, perhaps?

We recently got a new DTL, but the DTL we had before (Who i believe would have made the decision) was actually quite personable and easy to talk to, at least on the Sales Floor. He was younger (sub 40s) so I do not think he was old school.

They might've just been one who had common sense, or maybe the times are changing. (hopefully).

Our district has now relaxed the requirements and accept associates degree for etl positions. So upward mobility seems to be a thing again.
They probably realized that the high turnover they've ended up with this year is a bad thing and it would be good to have another carrot to dangle... one that they actually let the TL's have every once in a while.

Our district has now relaxed the requirements and accept associates degree for etl positions. So upward mobility seems to be a thing again.
They probably realized that the high turnover they've ended up with this year is a bad thing and it would be good to have another carrot to dangle... one that they actually let the TL's have every once in a while.

I don't think so, as we have two TL's who are also starting (or have started) their ETL interviews). Both of whom are just as deserving.. This goes along with the fact that there is a huge push at our store for certain TMs to get TL benched (myself included).

Which i don't think would happen as I think we just met or are not even at headcount for AE2014 yet, unless they figured at least one of them was likely for promotion.

I've seen 1 TL to ETL without a degree.

Personally, I think this unwritten policy is extremely disappointing. Target wants leaders. They want people that demonstrate leadership skills at higher levels. If a TL demonstrates this quality, they should be promoted.

I've seen one TL to ETL minus a degree as well. I've also heard Target is paying for our GSTL to get their degree so he can return and move up. I don't think it raises anyone's morale at my store though.

I am not as surprised about the ETL without a degree, as I am about them being able to stay at the same store.

As much as I think it's a positive, that a leadership group be able to move up and grow together.

It could possibly turn a store into one cohesive unit.

Last edited:
I had no idea. I know it may be an "unwritten policy" but on all of their job applications for ETL's it says that one of the requirements is a 4 year degree, even for the system you can access as a team member. Is there a way to find out if a current ETL is without a degree? I suspect 2 of my current ETLs may be in that position - long tenures with the company and they actually work as opposed to just watching and standing back.

I had no idea. I know it may be an "unwritten policy" but on all of their job applications for ETL's it says that one of the requirements is a 4 year degree, even for the system you can access as a team member. Is there a way to find out if a current ETL is without a degree? I suspect 2 of my current ETLs may be in that position - long tenures with the company and they actually work as opposed to just watching and standing back.

The only way I found out is when I let my Sr. TL know to the point how bullshit I thought it was that you needed a College Degree to move up in the company, when asked about my future with the company on his/her team morale walk (I knew they didn't have a degree, but it was my way of showing I was pulling for them). She then responded that, thats not true, "So and So" the TL(now ETL in question) is being considered for promotion without a degree.

This being the same day I had to trek halfway through the store to teach my Freshly new GE-ETL how to clear a call box.

The only time I ever hear of it happening is when they just can't find someone with a degree to fill the spot.

Eh, I have ETLs who don't stand back who have degrees. Actually, none of my ETLs are like that. And the one that remains (as of yesterday, none of the ETLs or the stl who were there when I started are there, except one) has been with target since before her degree and she started from the bottom.

I'm a peon with a degree, but I honestly have no desire to move up. Apparently no one wants to keep target leadership positions lol. They're all quitting.

I think most would rather be Sr TLs anyway. That way they don't have to work 50 hours and can still get time and a half.

I think most would rather be Sr TLs anyway. That way they don't have to work 50 hours and can still get time and a half.

I suspect 50 hours is probably low for many ETLs.
I'm sure many of them just skate by and often when they are at work they don't seem completely there but I have to say, they work some crazy hours.

Ours usually do around 60 give or take. But that's awesome, hopefully our district follows this trend. I'm working on a degree to be an ETL and if the degree requirement moves down that would be even better

I'll tell you how it happened..... favoritism. I experienced it at my store. Don't mean to give all upper level Target employees a bad name, just my personal experience

We have a similar situation. Our former ETL-Log is now our STL. We have a brand new DTL however I believe she was signed off for STL before he took his role in our district....

$1600 / 100 hrs = $16/hr

Sign me up!
hmm??? That's on the low end.. my ETL's 5 years ago started out (even fresh from college) at higher than that... in a low cost of living area.... 1600 * 26 (paychecks per year) = 41600.... The lowest I've heard an ETL start out was 43,000 and again that was 2009...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back