Archived TM took an hour lunch

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I have a TM who is my bottom performer, horrible attitude, accountability, lack of professionalism while at work. I've been working heavily with her but to no avail. Long story short, she took an hour lunch. HR showed me her timecard. I've honestly have had it with all of this. There's always something going on when she knows I'm not there. Fellow TLs/ETLs or anyone, how would you handle this?

Have you been doing all the paperwork on her other issues?
I'm assuming that you have.
She took it as off the clock so she was stealing time which would make this a bit easier.
If she has attendance issues then you can stack this with them.
Seems like you are looking at a final to me.
If she straightens up she can get out from under it, if not ...

I have. She's on a multiple final warning.

With hours down, now would be a good time to trim the deadwood.
You've given her enough warnings, etc that she probably thinks you won't lower the boom.
And the rest of your team has probably had enough of her antics.
Get with your ETL-HR & do it.

Yeah I'm so done with this person. I've been generous with the amount of chances I've given her. When I delivered her multiple final warning she thought it was the end of the world and made it seem like I was "after her". But look at the ammunition you give me. I need to let this one go. We can't save them all I guess.

Well she will be gone soon enough. I just feel like I failed somewhere.

I've been gone after and this ain't it.
There is a point where a person proves that they don't want to work for you and they need to be cut loose.

Nah. You can't control others. She has made the decisions to act this way. That's entirely on her. If I was the TM stuck covering an hour lunch, and I got the impression nothing was done about it, I would be pretty upset. You owe it to your team to be done with this.

Thanks guys, my team recently brought it up to me but I have been taking action. This hour lunch thing was just the last straw.

Your tm made that decision for an hour lunch. You have tried to warn them & given them multi-chances to correct those bad habits. They need to go.

So I have a TM who is my bottom performer, horrible attitude, accountability, lack of professionalism while at work. I've been working heavily with her but to no avail. Long story short, she took an hour lunch. HR showed me her timecard. I've honestly have had it with all of this. There's always something going on when she knows I'm not there. Fellow TLs/ETLs or anyone, how would you handle this?
Get with HR and ETL-GE and start the process for Final CA, or term if they are on CA.

Not sure why you'd feel you failed. It is your job to help train your Team, and to give them the tools they need to succeed.

It is not your job to instill them with morals or work ethic. The only way you could fail is by not firing her and allowing her lack of work ethic to negatively impact the rest of the team.

If anyone, other than the TM themselves, has failed them, it was their parents.

If TMs are going to late coming back from lunch there better be a good excuse, they were in a car wreck, traffic was backed up, or they lost my order, and they better call the store to notify them.

I had a fellow TM who decided he needed to go to the local college to get his yearbook photo taken on his lunch because that was the only appointment he was given. Mind you it takes 15 minutes to get there, 5-10 minutes to park and get into the building, no telling what the line or previous appointments are like, 5-10 to back out, and another 15 minutes to drive back. I was not happy because I knew this was going to happen but the LOD allowed it leaving me and the closing TL covering the floor. But at least he called the store to let us know he was running late.

I took a two hour lunch to go to an optometrist near the end of the year before my insurance ran out, but that was with several days notice and permission from the STL, not me just going, oh, btw, lunch is going to be 2 hours today as I clocked out.

All great feedback. Thank you. I was going to confront the issue today anyway I just wanted to get some insight. I've had multiple conversations with her, I've coached her repeatedly for a lot of the things that happened. She's very aggressive with the team and that's one of the reasons why I issued a final warning for conduct because of her aggression( verbal and shoved a TM) I don't know how she was allowed to stay with her shoving a former TM. Anyway, I let her know that her conduct while at work is not acceptable and I will be following up with her periodically. She thinks I'm "after her" because I check up on the progress and pull up attendance (which I do for everyone else on the team). Taking an hour lunch just proves that you do what you want when I'm not working. I don't know how she thought I wouldn't find out.

Good luck! There were a few of those tm's at my store and I haven't seen them around so I'm guessing they got the boot. You didn't fail at all, you gave her enough chances which is more than Alot of other people would do. Don't beat yourself up about it either, it's effecting too many people and everyone will be happier once they don't have to deal with that.

Thanks. That's how I'm seeing. If I'm frustrated, I'm sure the team is as well having to deal with this person. I'm just going to do my job and pull the trigger.

As a counterpoint, with the company always looking for ways to cut hours, why is her being off the clock a big deal?

In a tm's mind, how is that different from a cashier calling off and them not even trying to call someone in. They just say at huddle..... We had a cashier call off so there will be a lot of backups.

When you have narrow overlap of coverage in a specialized area like Starbucks, someone taking an hour-long lunch holds up another TM who may be close to non-compliance or simply has to wait while a self-centered weak link TM takes her sweet time coming back.
FA & SB can't always take lunches or breaks when scheduled if there's a huge line or a lunch rush which can pile up in a matter of minutes.
Even if someone isn't due for a lunch, it's damned inconsiderate to leave a lone barista to get slammed because you decided to take an hour without telling anyone.
Anyone who'd ever do that to me would've found themselves locked in the walk-in for a while.

As a counterpoint, with the company always looking for ways to cut hours, why is her being off the clock a big deal?

In a tm's mind, how is that different from a cashier calling off and them not even trying to call someone in. They just say at huddle..... We had a cashier call off so there will be a lot of backups.
Exactly as Red put it. If someone did that to me, they would get it from me. Don't think because you are off the clock that you don't need to comply with the alloted time you are given for lunch. It's inconsiderate, can drastically affect the coverage of the area and you force others to wait to take their lunch and or break later because someone decided that they were going to take an hour long lunch.

I still don't see how it's any more inconsiderate than having management not replace, or even try to replace, someone who has called off. Doesn't that also drastically affect the coverage of the area? They just assume everyone will fill in. Easier to fill in for half an hour than for 8.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back