Archived TM took an hour lunch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still don't see how it's any more inconsiderate than having management not replace, or even try to replace, someone who has called off. Doesn't that also drastically affect the coverage of the area? They just assume everyone will fill in. Easier to fill in for half an hour than for 8.
Two wrongs don't make a right. I don't know how payroll works at your store but at mine I replace and if you take an hour lunch, I'm going to be angry. It's inconsiderate and not good work ethic period.

I still don't see how it's any more inconsiderate than having management not replace, or even try to replace, someone who has called off. Doesn't that also drastically affect the coverage of the area? They just assume everyone will fill in. Easier to fill in for half an hour than for 8.

You're trying to compare apples and oranges. In one situation, it's a lazy TM who thinks that because they can inconvenience others like that since they aren't on the clock. The other is probably just an ETL trying to make do with the little payroll they have by taking those 8 hours forfeited by the TM who called out, and using them elsewhere. Plus it also isn't always possible to find someone to come in to cover the shift on such short notice.

From a tm standpoint it's inconsiderate because we all need our breaks and lunches. It's different from a call in because everyone thinks OK we know they called out we know it's gonna be a crazy day but if someone's there and you're counting on them and they take a longer lunch it's an unexpected throw off on everyone for breaks and things that they didn't think they'd have to pick up slack on.. Sure its an extra half hour but crap can go down in that half hour and get crazy with one less person therefore potentially pushing breaks and things even later and compliance could happen as well. Hope that all made sense.

Do we really get dinged for taking a long lunch?

I often take slightly longer lunches as I am scheduled right at 40 hours to avoid overtime, as getting out on the second everyday is impossible. I am wondering if that is where my Phantom 6 "coming up lates" came from during my review last year, as to my knowledge I had not been late once for that entire year.

It flags in the system if you take a long break so that's how I found out.

This may have been answered but here's my take:

Anything you observe when you are there, you need to follow up with the team member. Granted Target policy says give people time to improve but conduct is not a improvement based trait. Follow up with the team member, partner with your AP, partner with your ETL as well and communicate with email and leadership huddles. Listen to your other team members if they are observing it. Pull the team member in and have a conversation. The biggest issue with Target that I've experienced is that leaders do not like sitting down to have those conversations. Reality is, they do not have to be rash, aggressive or mean so to say. Sit down with them and ask them and use observations you've seen or other leaders have. Have someone else sit in with you and make sure you document everything. Patter with HR ETL to help as well. If it had been going on for sometime so easily, you probably need to make a routine of following up with that person and time them. You're not stalking or harassing. You're responsibility is to ensure conduct and performance requirements are meant. All my top performers have zero problem with me checking in on them because they know it is my job and know they do not have to lie or fight back because they aren't doing anything wrong. Plus, things like this can cause negative morale which then leads to damage control for you or other leaders

Do we really get dinged for taking a long lunch?

I often take slightly longer lunches as I am scheduled right at 40 hours to avoid overtime, as getting out on the second everyday is impossible. I am wondering if that is where my Phantom 6 "coming up lates" came from during my review last year, as to my knowledge I had not been late once for that entire year.

That's a bit different. At my store, whenever someone is approaching OT an ETL will usually ask them to take an extra long lunch so that they don't hit OT.

That used to be called Standby Time and frowned upon by OSHA/whomever...

This may have been answered but here's my take:

Anything you observe when you are there, you need to follow up with the team member. Granted Target policy says give people time to improve but conduct is not a improvement based trait. Follow up with the team member, partner with your AP, partner with your ETL as well and communicate with email and leadership huddles. Listen to your other team members if they are observing it. Pull the team member in and have a conversation. The biggest issue with Target that I've experienced is that leaders do not like sitting down to have those conversations. Reality is, they do not have to be rash, aggressive or mean so to say. Sit down with them and ask them and use observations you've seen or other leaders have. Have someone else sit in with you and make sure you document everything. Patter with HR ETL to help as well. If it had been going on for sometime so easily, you probably need to make a routine of following up with that person and time them. You're not stalking or harassing. You're responsibility is to ensure conduct and performance requirements are meant. All my top performers have zero problem with me checking in on them because they know it is my job and know they do not have to lie or fight back because they aren't doing anything wrong. Plus, things like this can cause negative morale which then leads to damage control for you or other leaders
Coquiazul is a SBTL & has already established a papertrail on this particular TM.
As stated in an earlier post, coqui has attempted to work with said TM to improve before taking punitive actions - including coachings & now corrective actions on several fronts.
@unknown: It's one thing when a TM calls out because you know you're missing a person & can attempt to cover the shift. When a TM takes a long lunch without telling anyone, nobody knows WHEN they will be back or if they were in a wreck, got kidnapped by an angry ex, etc so there's no way of knowing how much time you'll have to replace.
You may have to yank someone from another area only to have said TM stroll in unconcerned about the mayhem they caused.

Last edited:
Coquiazul is a SBTL & has already established a papertrail on this particular TM.
As stated in an earlier post, coqui has attempted to work with said TM to improve before taking punitive actions - including coachings & now corrective actions on several fronts.
@unknown: It's one thing when a TM calls out because you know you're missing a person & can attempt to cover the shift. When a TM takes a long lunch without telling anyone, nobody knows WHEN they will be back or if they were in a wreck, got kidnapped by an angry ex, etc so there's no way of knowing how much time you'll have to replace.
You may have to yank someone from another area only to have said TM stroll in unconcerned about the mayhem they caused.

We had two cashiers call off today. But in the interest of saving hours, the shifts were not replaced. Hmm, 1/2 versus sixteen? We ran out of carts at the front end twice cause pog, pricing, instocks had to try and complete their workloads plus back up cashier.

Look, I'm not saying anyone should take a long lunch. I'm not saying it's right. What I am saying is that if management isn't going to replace shifts to pad their bonuses or whatever, taking a half hour unpaid isn't that big a deal.

It wouldn't be a 'big deal' if they'd simply told someone they were going to be gone an hour; they would then know WHEN to expect them back.
When you're in the middle of a rush with a line that goes to the door & every other guest is pulling out a list of drinks (because it's their day to pick up SB for everyone in the office), you're hoping for that TM to get back to help you whittle down the line before you go into meal non-compliance.
I've been by myself when a TM said they'd be gone for more than an hour because they had urgent business to attend to & were unable to get the day off. KNOWING that in advance, I can plan & line up alternate help if the need arises.
When someone doesn't say anything when they go off to lunch, you EXPECT them to be back in a half hour.
It's not about saving payroll; it's expectations of the job.

And on another note, management doesn't always have a say in the amount of payroll they can use. We have to go by what we are given if not we get held accountable. The point I was making is that no TM or anyone should take a longer lunch without communicating in advance.

I spoke to her about it, she lied to me saying that she never took an hour lunch, I showed her the timecard that I had printed and then she stood quiet, asked her why this happened and she told me that she just needed to be away, I told her if she communicated it to a leader, she said no and that she didn't feel it was a big deal because it was just this once and when I told her it still wasn't okay, she started crying and stormed off. Now I'm having my ETL get involved so she can follow up with the issue because something needs to be done.

^Did HR give you the timecard then? We don't have access to that right?

I asked for it. HR has to email it to you.

@CoquiAzul I wish you were my TL. You actually care. We have plenty of tms who pull stuff like that, don't show up, show up late, etc. and they are still at my store and getting better hours/treated better than myself who takes 30 minutes and only 30 minutes for lunch, has missed ONE shift in over a year and was late ONCE (stuck in traffic due to a car accident right outside my store).

I spoke to her about it, she lied to me saying that she never took an hour lunch, I showed her the timecard that I had printed and then she stood quiet, asked her why this happened and she told me that she just needed to be away, I told her if she communicated it to a leader, she said no and that she didn't feel it was a big deal because it was just this once and when I told her it still wasn't okay, she started crying and stormed off. Now I'm having my ETL get involved so she can follow up with the issue because something needs to be done.

She lied about her length of lunch.
When caught in a lie, she suddenly 'needed to be away' (vague excuse).
When pressed about following protocol (telling a leader), she blew it off as a one-time thing except she's already on CA for various other failures of protocol.
When that didn't work, she turned on the tears & probably sought out a sympathetic ETL.
Make sure your ETL is up to speed on everything that has happened up to now.
Stick a fork in her; she's done.

My ETL is in the loop. She'll be having a follow up chat with her about her being accountable and the fact that she walked off from me is not going to go well for her.

@CoquiAzul I wish you were my TL. You actually care. We have plenty of tms who pull stuff like that, don't show up, show up late, etc. and they are still at my store and getting better hours/treated better than myself who takes 30 minutes and only 30 minutes for lunch, has missed ONE shift in over a year and was late ONCE (stuck in traffic due to a car accident right outside my store).
I'm sorry you're going through that. Maybe changing workcenters might help?

@unknown The problem I have when our tm take extra long breaks is the tls expect more to have gotten done cause you have a certain amount of tms for the shift. But when one takes long breaks you can lose up to double the amount of time.

Example : I cover electronics breaks a lot. One tm takes almost a half it longer each fifteen abd almost abb hour every half. I've now lost two hours to covering his breaks, an hour to my own, an hour to huddle/4x4, and half to midday. I've now got only three a half left in an eight hour day, without backup calls or helping guests or tms. After a couple days I can be so far behind my team it's impossible to catch up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back